Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 B9 A5 & S5 Coupe, Sportback, and Cabriolet Configurator

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not even sure if the image on top of the configuration page fully properly reflects the optioned added to the car. For example, after the S-Line Sport package is added, I would expect to see the S badges on the seat. It is shown in the S-Line Sport package page, but not reflected in the image on the top of the configuration page.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
According to the Audi Media Site (Germany, in English), the A5 SB will have Quattro Ultra. However, information on the Audi Canada website is not clear. It just says Quattro. There is no info on the A5 Sportback or Coupe in the Audi USA Media site that indicates which Quattro the North American version will get.
Only the manual version will be made available with quattro Ultra according to Audi Media, which is a little odd. They haven't released one yet, manual is FWD only.

The S tronic is fitted with the full time self-locking centre differential quattro system. If you pull a spec sheet from the Audi Media site for the A5 Sportback quattro 2.0TFSI, you will find it does detail the quattro system. So same drivetrain spec as current NA B9 A4.

In the latest production of the A4 Allroad, quattro Ultra is no longer being used with S tronic. They are using the full time system. I was sure the early production versions, including NA cars, had quattro Ultra. Manual quattro versions of the Allroad are using the Ultra system.

Audi do not make it easy to work out which system is fitted to specific models. The Media site is a good start, but it can get out of date. The German configurator site will show the latest versions being produced if you look at the Technical specification section. But the differentiation that Audi make between quattro Ultra and locking centre diff versions is extremely subtle, and Google translate or similar won't pick up the difference:
  • Permanent Verfügbarer Allradantrieb quattro - key word is Verfügbarer, which means available, so permanently available all wheel drive quattro. Meaning quattro Ultra.
  • Permanenter Allradantrieb quattro - no "available" qualification, this is the full time system.

Either:
  • There is a technical problem with the DL382 S tronic gearbox and the quattro Ultra drivetrain.
  • The quattro Ultra system is costing them too much to produce.
  • They have production quantity issues with quattro Ultra.
It is almost certainly the latter, as the Q5 is being fitted with quattro Ultra on all the 4 cylinder versions with S tronic. So they are probably restricting its use on B9 models for now to cope with Q5 demand
Old 01-13-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

The new Audi Configurator for Canada is ridiculous. Tried it earlier today.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Only the manual version will be made available with quattro Ultra according to Audi Media, which is a little odd. They haven't released one yet, manual is FWD only.

The S tronic is fitted with the full time self-locking centre differential quattro system. If you pull a spec sheet from the Audi Media site for the A5 Sportback quattro 2.0TFSI, you will find it does detail the quattro system. So same drivetrain spec as current NA B9 A4.

In the latest production of the A4 Allroad, quattro Ultra is no longer being used with S tronic. They are using the full time system. I was sure the early production versions, including NA cars, had quattro Ultra. Manual quattro versions of the Allroad are using the Ultra system.

Audi do not make it easy to work out which system is fitted to specific models. The Media site is a good start, but it can get out of date. The German configurator site will show the latest versions being produced if you look at the Technical specification section. But the differentiation that Audi make between quattro Ultra and locking centre diff versions is extremely subtle, and Google translate or similar won't pick up the difference:
  • Permanent Verfügbarer Allradantrieb quattro - key word is Verfügbarer, which means available, so permanently available all wheel drive quattro. Meaning quattro Ultra.
  • Permanenter Allradantrieb quattro - no "available" qualification, this is the full time system.

Either:
  • There is a technical problem with the DL382 S tronic gearbox and the quattro Ultra drivetrain.
  • The quattro Ultra system is costing them too much to produce.
  • They have production quantity issues with quattro Ultra.
It is almost certainly the latter, as the Q5 is being fitted with quattro Ultra on all the 4 cylinder versions with S tronic. So they are probably restricting its use on B9 models for now to cope with Q5 demand
Interesting....good work digging into this Quattro vs Quattro Ultra issue. For us here in N/A, we'll just have to wait and see when more info becomes available.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
Interesting....good work digging into this Quattro vs Quattro Ultra issue. For us here in N/A, we'll just have to wait and see when more info becomes available.
No need to wait. These are the vehicles with quattro ultra:

A4 allroad
A4 sedan with manual transmission
A5 coupe with manual transmission
Q5 2.0T (2018 model)

Hope this helps...
Old 01-18-2017, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by adg44
No need to wait. These are the vehicles with quattro ultra:

A4 allroad
A4 sedan with manual transmission
A5 coupe with manual transmission
Q5 2.0T (2018 model)

Hope this helps...
Thanks for the information.
Would the SQ5 also be assembled at the new factory?
Old 01-18-2017, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by benbenwin
Thanks for the information.
Would the SQ5 also be assembled at the new factory?
Yes.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

anyone think the Sportback look like a Fusion?

I'm actually liking the look better than the A4 and A6, the technology/engine is similar to the A4 and A6 correct?
Old 01-21-2017, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, they do look alike but the Fusion does not have the generous liftback of the Audi Sportback. I think it looks great. I do not think in terms of 'Does it look like the Fusion'. If you like the styling, it won't matter.

The powertrain of the A5/S5 sportback is shared with the A4/S4 but, I believe, the suspension is sportier in the A5 compared to A4.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by getliquid
anyone think the Sportback look like a Fusion?

I'm actually liking the look better than the A4 and A6, the technology/engine is similar to the A4 and A6 correct?
Yes, it looks like a Fusion, but I'm sure that comparison will quickly go away when it is seen on the street. The A5 Sportback technology/engine is virtually identical to the A4, as is the chassis. I don't think it has that much in common with the A6.

Quick Reply: 2018 B9 A5 & S5 Coupe, Sportback, and Cabriolet Configurator