Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 RS 5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were American I would cross the border and buy a new one here in Canada. 1 US dollar converts to $1.2503 Canadian dollars. Back in 2012 when our dollar was $1.10 to the US dollar I bought a Porsche in NC. I paid no US tax however paid tax in Canada when I crossed the border and registered the car in province of Ontario. I saved 10% by buying the car in NC. Investigate with you home state to see what you'd have to pay in taxes. Good luck to all that do so.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm pretty sure you cant buy cars in Canada and register them in the US.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Yes you can. I suggest you check where you register you vehicles to determine if you can or at a border crossing. For me I avoided state taxes as my S2000 was towed to a Canadian border crossing and my Porsche had a temporary licence. If I had bought either of these cars in other states I would have had to pay state tax. Good luck if you happen to buy one in Canada.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

You also would have no warranty from Audi if the car is bought in Canada and then brought into the US and registered in the US.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:18 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
You also would have no warranty from Audi if the car is bought in Canada and then brought into the US and registered in the US.
There are surely US Customs issues as well.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
Yes you can. I suggest you check where you register you vehicles to determine if you can or at a border crossing. For me I avoided state taxes as my S2000 was towed to a Canadian border crossing and my Porsche had a temporary licence. If I had bought either of these cars in other states I would have had to pay state tax. Good luck if you happen to buy one in Canada.
But are you in canada or the US?

It may work differently for bringing cars from the US to canada, but as far as I know a lot of canadian spec cars don't meet us regulations.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

But are you in canada or the US?

It may work differently for bringing cars from the US to Canada, but as far as I know a lot of canadian spec cars don't meet us regulations.
I am Canadian and live in Canada. 99.9% of Canadian cars are the same as American cars.
I bought my 2009 Boxster S in Hickory North Carolina in 2012. The vehicle was Porsche certified and the warranty was fully transferable. I had it plated and a copy of all paperwork was sent to US customs. You can't drive the car over the border until 72 hours after the paperwork is forwarded. There are specific crossings for this process. I crossed at the Peace bridge from Buffalo NY to Fort Erie, Ontario. There was no cost to enter Canada from the USA, however, I paid federal tax entering Canada. US Customs reviewed the bill of sale, ownership and looked at the vin posted on the dash. I did the same when I bought an S2000 in Michigan, however, that car was towed across the border to avoid paying Michigan state tax. I saved several thousand on both cars as our dollar was worth $1.10 to each American dollar back in 2012. Your dollar is now 1.3 to each Canadian dollar.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Both cars I bought in the US the warranty was easily transferred and covered for all of North America. Americans should come to Canada to buy the Civic type R as they can't be sold higher than the suggested list price.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ArvX147 Canadian and American cars are near identical. We buy what you buy. Our cars are required to have day time running lights while cars in the states don't require that. The S2000 and Boxster S I bought in the states needed to meet all Canadian requirements before I could register it in Canada. That was easily done at the dealership before I bought the cars. Each state or province has requirements. Easy search was done by me before I bought these vehicles.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
ArvX147 Canadian and American cars are near identical. We buy what you buy. Our cars are required to have day time running lights while cars in the states don't require that. The S2000 and Boxster S I bought in the states needed to meet all Canadian requirements before I could register it in Canada. That was easily done at the dealership before I bought the cars. Each state or province has requirements. Easy search was done by me before I bought these vehicles.
it's easy to buy a used car in the US and own it in Canada...the reverse, is not easy whatsoever, and it's gotten more difficult over time.

It isn't always "easy" to buy a car out of state here that is new....the laws vary widely by state when it comes to taxes and structures.

Quick Reply: 2018 RS 5?