AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   2018 RS5 Owners! PLEASE READ! (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/2018-rs5-owners-please-read-2955132/)

18RS5 08-07-2018 01:03 PM

2018 RS5 Owners! PLEASE READ!

Hello to any fellow 2018 RS5 owners. Has anyone noticed any rattles towards the rear, possibly the trunk? Also towards the passenger front visor, on the door a vibration when getting into higher RPM's. Lastly, very noticeable creaking all throughout the cabin, usually when take steep hills slowly to avoid scraping.

Any insight/similar stories would be appreciated. I have an appointment at the dealer very soon and want to see if it's a "normal" thing.

Thanks!

CiscoS4 08-07-2018 04:44 PM

I've got a couple, one by the driver console, and one over by the passenger door (sounds like). They are more creaking than rattling, and they are pretty intermittent. They don't really happen when its rough pavement or whatever, they just sort of happen when they feel like it. I almost think its temperature fluctuations with the plastics and a new car "settling in". Its like a billion degrees here in Texas, so who knows. I'm generally pretty OCD about rattles, but these seem...different. So I'm going to let stuff settle in and temperatures calm down and see what happens. I can't really hear them at all with the radio on even pretty low. Not sure if that helps, but thats what I've got.

3cat 08-07-2018 08:29 PM

The entire B9 A5 S5 RS5 fleet is a rattle nightmare. It is getting to the point I don't even want to drive my S5 due to the vibrations and rattles that come from the door panels.

emacS5 08-07-2018 09:42 PM

This is so bizarre. I have a '18 S5 cabrio, with zero rattles anywhere. I know its a real things, because so many have commented, but I'm not getting anything at all (6,200 miles).

luder888 08-07-2018 10:35 PM

I get constant creaking that sounds like thermal expansion of the trims. All the loaner Audi's (except the cheapest A3 which doesn't have all those fancy carbon fiber trims) I have driven had the same creaking sound. The dealer can try to fix every little creak and rattle you report, but the chances of them messing something else up or making it worse is very high. I have begun to accept that's just reality.

KarKid 08-07-2018 10:47 PM

I have a rattle/buzz sound coming from the passenger door around the door handle/lock area. I've driven the car with a tech from the dealership and confirmed the noise. Another user on this forum is going through the same thing with the same dealership. So far, no real fix yet. It only happens when driving on a rougher (coarse) highway surface.
Another noise comes from the rear deck/trunk area. It sounds like rain drop hitting on the window/trunk area except it's sunny out. Perhaps expansion of trim?

If your dealership had tried something and worked, please share here.

As to no noise with a cabriolet, perhaps the structure is different since there is no B or C pillars. And with the soft top, the road noise maybe a tad louder than in a coupe? If I roll down my windows or open my sunroof, I don't hear rattle/buzz noise. :)

18RS5 08-08-2018 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by emacS5 (Post 25192165)
This is so bizarre. I have a '18 S5 cabrio, with zero rattles anywhere. I know its a real things, because so many have commented, but I'm not getting anything at all (6,200 miles).

Yeah that's the worst part. I traded in my 18 S5 SB for the RS5 and I regret it for those reasons. My S5 SB was so quiet other than maybe one or two vibrations in the trim when getting up in RPM's.

18RS5 08-08-2018 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by KarKid (Post 25192179)
I have a rattle/buzz sound coming from the passenger door around the door handle/lock area. I've driven the car with a tech from the dealership and confirmed the noise. Another user on this forum is going through the same thing with the same dealership. So far, no real fix yet. It only happens when driving on a rougher (coarse) highway surface.
Another noise comes from the rear deck/trunk area. It sounds like rain drop hitting on the window/trunk area except it's sunny out. Perhaps expansion of trim?

If your dealership had tried something and worked, please share here.

As to no noise with a cabriolet, perhaps the structure is different since there is no B or C pillars. And with the soft top, the road noise maybe a tad louder than in a coupe? If I roll down my windows or open my sunroof, I don't hear rattle/buzz noise. :)

Wow this puts me at ease a bit. I'm heading into the dealer shortly so we'll see what they come up with. I assume it'll be a runaround.

18RS5 08-08-2018 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by luder888 (Post 25192176)
I get constant creaking that sounds like thermal expansion of the trims. All the loaner Audi's (except the cheapest A3 which doesn't have all those fancy carbon fiber trims) I have driven had the same creaking sound. The dealer can try to fix every little creak and rattle you report, but the chances of them messing something else up or making it worse is very high. I have begun to accept that's just reality.

This is what worries me the worst. They'll tear everything apart trying to get a fix and end up doing more harm than good. If the end result is me "having to live with it" I'm probably going to go for a Lemon Law. No way in hell I should pay 95k for a vehicle that is built like a Chevy Sonic.

JFerraro819 08-08-2018 08:41 AM

Slight rattle in the rear. I feel it has to do with the seat belts in the rear or or the belt butler. The rattle isn’t worth them ripping the car apart though.