Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 RS5 Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2018 RS5 Rear Sway Bar

Hi guys,
I just bought a 2018 RS5 with pretty much every option available, including the adaptive dampers and active rear diff. I already placed an order for the 034motorsport front strut brace and trans+rear subframe mounts, ABT springs. Now I am having massive arguments with myself whether I should get the 034motorsport rear sway bar or not; their website says it improves the understeer blah blah but A5 and S5 have different OEM sway bars (the ones they brag about)...I want to know how it compares to the RS5 one. I do not track the car, only some spirited canyon driving, and want to keep a good balance between performance and comfort. So, what do you guys think, yay or nay?
Old 02-20-2019, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Musculobog
Hi guys,
I just bought a 2018 RS5 with pretty much every option available, including the adaptive dampers and active rear diff. I already placed an order for the 034motorsport front strut brace and trans+rear subframe mounts, ABT springs. Now I am having massive arguments with myself whether I should get the 034motorsport rear sway bar or not; their website says it improves the understeer blah blah but A5 and S5 have different OEM sway bars (the ones they brag about)...I want to know how it compares to the RS5 one. I do not track the car, only some spirited canyon driving, and want to keep a good balance between performance and comfort. So, what do you guys think, yay or nay?
I assume if you have every option available, then you have DRC suspension - which is not the same as variable damper suspension. DRC could be considered a form (hydraulic) of active roll stabilisation, and so adding a stiffer rear sway bar into that system may not be a great idea without understanding how the DRC system is calibrated. Most people seem to find DRC in Dynamic mode pretty stiff.

https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...ide-control_en
Old 02-21-2019, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
I assume if you have every option available, then you have DRC suspension - which is not the same as variable damper suspension. DRC could be considered a form (hydraulic) of active roll stabilisation, and so adding a stiffer rear sway bar into that system may not be a great idea without understanding how the DRC system is calibrated. Most people seem to find DRC in Dynamic mode pretty stiff.

https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...ide-control_en
You`re goddamn right man, thanks
Old 02-21-2019, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 197 Posts

Hi guys,
I can let you know next Friday. Installing my 034 front strut brace, rear sway bar, and ABT HAS a week from today and will be able to provide some feedback.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport
I can let you know next Friday. Installing my 034 front strut brace, rear sway bar, and ABT HAS a week from today and will be able to provide some feedback.
Please do
Old 03-04-2019, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Please do
Thursday I installed ABT HAS, 034 front strut brace and rear sway bar without the end links. I've had limited time but can provide some initial thoughts. The combo has provided a very well matched system. Springs are slightly stiffer than OE that allow for very comfortable daily driving but help provided a more planted feel when pushing the car.

As for strut brace and sway bar, these two provide improved steering input and responsiveness and help decrease some body roll. Overall, this turned the already well balance vehicle up another notch without sacrificing comfort.

I chose not to go with the rear end links as in the climate I live in, the exposed ball joints do get affected by the salt and sand that I see for at least 4 months of the year. I was willing to not get the full improved handling that the rear sway can provide when matched with the end links.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nemesis Autosport
Thursday I installed ABT HAS, 034 front strut brace and rear sway bar without the end links. I've had limited time but can provide some initial thoughts. The combo has provided a very well matched system. Springs are slightly stiffer than OE that allow for very comfortable daily driving but help provided a more planted feel when pushing the car.

As for strut brace and sway bar, these two provide improved steering input and responsiveness and help decrease some body roll. Overall, this turned the already well balance vehicle up another notch without sacrificing comfort.

I chose not to go with the rear end links as in the climate I live in, the exposed ball joints do get affected by the salt and sand that I see for at least 4 months of the year. I was willing to not get the full improved handling that the rear sway can provide when matched with the end links.

Does your car have DRC, like @Glisse pointed out?
Old 03-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Does your car have DRC, like @Glisse pointed out?
I do and unfortunately I can't tell you what portion of the driving dynamics I now feel can be attributed to the sway bar versus the other items installed. Overall, to me the responsiveness has improved with a more planted feel without sacrificing daily comfort.

Wish I could tell you how just adding the rear sway changed it but had everything installed at the same time.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@Nemesis Autosport Do you happen to have the mounting instructions for the ABT springs? I asked for them and ABT is darn slow at replying to my e-mail. My mechanic mounted the springs on my car and while the rear is ok, on the front the wheel gap is HUGE, bigger than stock, although it is set on the -2cm setting. He says that I have the wrong parts but I have a feeling he did something wrong.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

@Nemesis Autosport Do you happen to have the mounting instructions for the ABT springs? I asked for them and ABT is darn slow at replying to my e-mail. My mechanic mounted the springs on my car and while the rear is ok, on the front the wheel gap is HUGE, bigger than stock, although it is set on the -2cm setting. He says that I have the wrong parts but I have a feeling he did something wrong.
I do. Send me an email to martin@nemesisautosport.com and will reply with instructions.