AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   2018 S5 CPO - OBD2 shows errors (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/2018-s5-cpo-obd2-shows-errors-2967131/)

papaj 02-11-2019 08:46 PM

2018 S5 CPO - OBD2 shows errors

Hi,

I took CPO S5 2018 from Audi dealership to PPI and a mechanic found 2 "sporadic" errors when he connected OBD reader: P0479 Exhaust Pressure Control Valve 'B' and P047500 Exhaust Pressure Control Valve 'A'

Based on quick check issues doesn't seem severe, but I would like to have Audi take care of it before I buy the car. Besides that car seems to be fine. I'm going to visit dealership later this week and I expect them to get this fixed - I just hope they don't just erase the codes and give me the car.

The guy at dealership obviously told me that I don't have to worry, I can buy the car right now and every dealership will fix it as I have 4y/50k warranty + CPO (I was shopping for a car ~80 miles from my home).

However after a small research, it seems that exhaust system is in "wear items" category and it's not covered under warranty, but I couldn't find any T&Cs online for Audi 2018 to confirm that.

Are those things covered under the warranty? Has anyone came across similar issues with their S5?

Thanks!

Slides 02-12-2019 08:41 AM

I would 100% not buy until they fix it and you test drive it again.

Zed 2.0 02-12-2019 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Slides (Post 25275588)
I would 100% not buy until they fix it and you test drive it again.

Absolutely this. It is a mechanical flaw in the car and needs to be fixed before you even agree on a deal. You don't want to be stuck relying on CPO coverage down the line when the factory warranty goes. First, I don't think the CPO process is very rigorous. Second, you shouldn't trust that Audi will actually cover your problems under CPO. I had a CPO S8 that developed an engine shudder--it was a problem with the active engine mounts that was fixed by putting on a downpipe with a different weight configuration. Well-documented issue with an Audi TSB admitting that it was due to design defects in the parts.

Took it in to the dealer a few months after factory warranty expired and they refused to fix it under CPO, claiming the exhaust was an excluded wear item. It took a shouting match with the service manager to get them to have Audi cover it as a "one time courtesy." It would have cost me thousands of dollars to fix without the warranty.

Could easily see something like that happening in your situation.

papaj 02-12-2019 10:14 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The car is still under regular warranty. I know that CPO for sure doesn't cover exhaust as it's a wear item. The exhaust doesn't give any external symptoms - it seems to be working fine, but the OBD2 scanner found the errors.

What would you advise to do? Scan the car again, once they take care of it? What if error won't show up? Should I take in writing that they already fix it and will fix it again if the errors reoccur?