Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 S5 Sportback or 2018 SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 S5 Sportback or 2018 SQ5?

Hi, I am new to this forum and wondering if anyone has driven, or considered, the 2018 S5 Sportback against the 2018 SQ5? I realize they are different enough and not necessarily overlapping segments. I was originally settled in on the SQ5, but I saw the S5 Sportback and think it looks beautiful, while offering almost as much practicality as I really need (2-3 passengers, average cargo needs). I would use the car as a year, round, daily driver.

The SQ5 I am looking at in particular is a Prestige model, with the S Sport package, 21" 5 double spoke V design wheels, cold weather package, and Fine Nappa leather, Carbon Atlas inlays. It is Daytona Grey and Black interior. The air suspension on the S Sport package is a primary attraction for me.

The S5 Sportback is a Premium Plus with Navigation, S Sport, Bang & Olufsen, Fine Nappa leather, 19" 5 spoke cavo design wheels, Carbon Atlas inlays. It is Florett Silver with Magma Red interior.

As configured, the S5 Sportback is about $2,000 less than the SQ5, which I consider significant. I am hopeful the dealer pricing discount will be about the same percentage for both cars.

I live in a cold weather climate so I would need to get all season or winter tires in either case.

I have not driven either car yet as both will be showing up at the dealer near the end of the month. I will update as well after driving and making a decision, but again curious if anyone has been thinking of these two? Thanks!
Old 05-14-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm switching from a 2016 SQ5 to a 2018 S5 SP. When I bought the SQ5, I knew the Sportback was likely coming, so the SQ5 was interim. It's all a matter of whether you are an SUV person, or a car person. Maneurverability vs. high driving position. I vote the former.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

As Emerson said, it depends if you are a SUV guy or a sedan/sportback guy. I was actually a sports/sporty car guy (Cayman S, RS5 and R8) before I switched over to the S5 SB. So far, I've been very happy with the transition. The number of seats/doors, extra big trunk, latest tech and design, etc. Let alone the power and performance, along with it being a brand new model, I don't have to worry about Gen 2 or face lifts for the next several years. There's no turning back for me (Unless the RS5 Sportback hits the shore...).

I also considered the 2018 SQ5 but I know I would regret it because I'm not a SUV guy at heart (at least not yet). I think ultimately go with what your heart desires and my heart told me to get the S5 SB
Old 05-14-2017, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Emerson11
I'm switching from a 2016 SQ5 to a 2018 S5 SP. When I bought the SQ5, I knew the Sportback was likely coming, so the SQ5 was interim. It's all a matter of whether you are an SUV person, or a car person. Maneurverability vs. high driving position. I vote the former.

Thanks, and yes that makes sense (on the SUV vs car person). What options are you getting on your S5 Sportback?
Old 05-14-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You've had quite the collection of cars, so knowing you have been happy with the transition is very meaningful. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2017, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tgmma
Thanks, and yes that makes sense (on the SUV vs car person). What options are you getting on your S5 Sportback?
I ordered an Exclusive Paint -- Cumulus Blue and
1N8 Dynamic
steering, 5MK Inlays
Carbon
Atlas, 6W9 DELETE
Front License Plate Holder, ACG ACG,
PCU Driver
Assistance package, PPU S
Sport package, WPT Prestige
package

I'm not a fan of the Cavo 19" wheel, so I ordered the 18"s and will contemplate other options after I see the car.

By the way, while I like the Alcantara interiors for my climate (hot), I think the red interior you are considering is very sharp.

Last edited by Emerson11; 05-14-2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: PS
Old 05-14-2017, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I was toying with getting either a S4 or SQ5, and to me the SB slots right between the two as far as storage capacity is concerned. My B8 S4 was lacking in truck space so I got rid of it to get a Q5 3.0T. But I found that I missed driving a car, so I sold that and replaced it with an A6....I like the A6 but it's half a car size too big and I miss the thrust of the S4....Hopefully the S5 SB will be the "just right" solution.

Anyway, in comparison to SQ5, the SB will be faster, will have marginally better fuel economy, will be the better overall performer, and it is still made in Germany. I didn't think it would bother me, but I dislike the fake exhaust tips on the SQ5.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

+1 on the fake exhaust tips and S5 made in Germany.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Drove both cars today. SQ5 was a disappointment. S5 Sportback on the other hand was surprising good. if you don't need a SUV, it's no-brainer. go with S5 Sportback.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

I considered the SQ5 mainly for the extra cargo space flexibility before I learned about the A/S5 Sportback. I'm generally against crossovers and SUVs so I find the Sportback to be a happy compromise if not the best option for me.

Quick Reply: 2018 S5 Sportback or 2018 SQ5?