Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2019 A5 Cabriolet on order with a lingering doubt

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cwdonahue

When I went shopping for an A5 SB, I was very sure I wanted the base suspension. I had a 2002 A6 4.2 with sport suspension and it was great in the summer, but too harsh in the winter. I went to the dealer and drove an SB with summer wheels and the sport suspension to confirm my decision and decided I really liked it. Not harsh at all. Use comfort mode if you want to feel cushy. I bought a SB with the 19” design line wheels and sport suspension and couldn’t be happier with it.
I appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, I really want it for the 2018 A5 Cabriolet or Coupe. It is my understanding that both the Cabriolet and Coupe have similar wheel base whereas the wheelbase for the A5 SB is different. Anyway, thank you again for the response. Of course it's subjective, but I think it is still interesting if not helpful to get other's opinions. By the way, since comfort mode makes a difference, you must have the adaptive suspension. I originally wanted to order that but it is no longer available on the 2019 A5 Cabriolet.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by juicebox098
I know what you're trying to get at, but you're asking strangers on the internet a purely subjective question that is totally dependent on their preference and where/how they drive. Test drive the car in a manner you would normally drive on roads you would normally drive. Only you can answer your question.
You are right that it's very subjective but it is still helpful for me to get other's perspectives. I did test drive it but I find test drives not very helpful. I think you have to live with a car awhile and drive it a lot to really know it. Furthermore, the dealers are hesitant to let me test drive their car into the mountains where I live. I think professional reviews can be very helpful but I also value the opinion of everyday owners. Hence, the request for other's subjective opinions on their cars that they have driven awhile. For example, if a number of folks came back and said something like "don't get the standard suspension....it's soft and not very fun to drive....", it would make me think even harder about my decision. Or maybe a number of folks would say they regret the sport suspension because it is too harsh. Yes it's subjective but for me it's still possibly useful information. On the other hand, I do understand your point and maybe you are right. So far, I haven't found any owners of A5 Cabriolets or coupes with the standard suspension that are willing to share their opinions.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Was the sport package only a standalone option on the '18 A5, or was it included on all Prestige models, for example? I wonder if you are perhaps seeking feedback on something that may be very rare. I really have no idea on prevalence of this config.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by emacS5
Was the sport package only a standalone option on the '18 A5, or was it included on all Prestige models, for example? I wonder if you are perhaps seeking feedback on something that may be very rare. I really have no idea on prevalence of this config.
The sport suspension was the suspension you got when you ordered the 19 inch wheels with the summer tires. It was not included automatically with the Prestige model but many of the 2018 A5 Cabriolets on dealer lots had that option.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sanfordrich
I appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, I really want it for the 2018 A5 Cabriolet or Coupe. It is my understanding that both the Cabriolet and Coupe have similar wheel base whereas the wheelbase for the A5 SB is different. Anyway, thank you again for the response. Of course it's subjective, but I think it is still interesting if not helpful to get other's opinions. By the way, since comfort mode makes a difference, you must have the adaptive suspension. I originally wanted to order that but it is no longer available on the 2019 A5 Cabriolet.
Just to be clear, what is included in the Design Line Wheel package is the "sport suspension". It's not called adaptive suspension on the Audi website or on my vehicle sticker. It would seem strange that a different "sport suspension" would be offered on the A5 Cab vs. the rest of the A5 family. You can choose the Design Line wheel package as an option on the A5 Cab and it has the exact same description as that package on my A5 SB. Not saying you are confusing things, but you might be.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cwdonahue
Just to be clear, what is included in the Design Line Wheel package is the "sport suspension". It's not called adaptive suspension on the Audi website or on my vehicle sticker. It would seem strange that a different "sport suspension" would be offered on the A5 Cab vs. the rest of the A5 family. You can choose the Design Line wheel package as an option on the A5 Cab and it has the exact same description as that package on my A5 SB. Not saying you are confusing things, but you might be.
I agree with you that the Design Line Wheel package includes the “sport suspension”. What I was trying to make clear is that it does not include adaptive suspension capability. That was a separate option on the 2018 A5 (Prestige only) and you needed to have that stand-alone option to have your A5 suspension do anything when switching to a different drive mode (i.e. comfort, sport, etc.). Just to be clear (because 2018 S5 owners might disagree with this), there was an option on the S5 for the “S Sport Package” which included a “sport adaptive damping suspension”.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have an a5 cabrio premium plus; had it for a week. I like how it drives. I'm not a car enthusiast and just like a good driver. Came from a 4runner, and I feel like the car grips the road nicely. I'm still breathing it in, so I'm just driving in comfort mode so far.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have an a5 cabrio premium plus; only had it for a week. I love how it drives. I'm not a car enthusiast and just like a good drive. Came from a 4runner, and I feel like the car grips the road nicely. I'm still breaking it in, so I'm just driving in comfort mode so far.