Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2019 S5 Coupe Dynamic vs Sport Questions

Old 06-01-2019, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 S5 Coupe Dynamic vs Sport Questions

2019 S5 Coupe Premium Plus

My questions are:

1. When vehicle is in drive select COMFORT mode and the SPORT option is engaged with the automatic transmission selector lever, how is this the same or different from engaging the drive select DYNAMIC mode to begin with?

2. What additional changes (if any) accompany engaging the SPORT option with the automatic transmission selector level when the vehicle is already in DYNAMIC mode?

Old 06-01-2019, 07:52 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoniel
2019 S5 Coupe Premium Plus

My questions are:

1. When vehicle is in drive select COMFORT mode and the SPORT option is engaged with the automatic transmission selector lever, how is this the same or different from engaging the drive select DYNAMIC mode to begin with?

2. What additional changes (if any) accompany engaging the SPORT option with the automatic transmission selector level when the vehicle is already in DYNAMIC mode?
1. When toggling to S while in comfort mode, transmission and engine sound are set the same as if you selected dynamic mode via drive select.

2. Toggling to S while in dynamic mode implies you ended in D mode by either restarting the car or toggling to D and it simply restores transmission and engine sound to their dynamic settings. Nothing else happens.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Just to add on to what @MH62 said and put a slightly different way. SPORT also changes the throttle map. So, SPORT changes the throttle map, transmission shift program and engine sound to DYNAMIC/SPORTY. The Drive Select mode DYNAMIC changes all the available vehicle components (steering, suspension, sport differential, ...) to DYNAMIC/SPORTY and sets the transmission to SPORT. Toggling the transmission between D/S simply toggles the powertrain between COMFORT/AUTO and DYNAMIC independently of the current Drive Select mode. It basically gives you direct control over the powertrain mode w/o having to change everything else, too, via Drive Select. It's kinda nice. For example you can put Drive Select to DYNAMIC, but take the transmission temporarily out of its SPORTY setting if you hit traffic or something for a more comfortable experience, or if you are driving around in COMFORT or AUTO, you can quickly make the car more responsive by putting the transmission into SPORT and leave everything else the same.

The competitors do something similar by offering dedicated switches for some of the components, so they can be changed independently of the current overall mode and the TTRS and R8 V10 Plus have a dedicated button to change the engine/exhaust sound independently, but with most Audis, most settings can only be changed by changing the overall Drive Select mode, which is not always desired, so it's nice to have at least direct control over the powertrain.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superswiss
Just to add on to what @MH62 said and put a slightly different way. SPORT also changes the throttle map. So, SPORT changes the throttle map, transmission shift program and engine sound to DYNAMIC/SPORTY. The Drive Select mode DYNAMIC changes all the available vehicle components (steering, suspension, sport differential, ...) to DYNAMIC/SPORTY and sets the transmission to SPORT. Toggling the transmission between D/S simply toggles the powertrain between COMFORT/AUTO and DYNAMIC independently of the current Drive Select mode. It basically gives you direct control over the powertrain mode w/o having to change everything else, too, via Drive Select. It's kinda nice. For example you can put Drive Select to DYNAMIC, but take the transmission temporarily out of its SPORTY setting if you hit traffic or something for a more comfortable experience, or if you are driving around in COMFORT or AUTO, you can quickly make the car more responsive by putting the transmission into SPORT and leave everything else the same.

The competitors do something similar by offering dedicated switches for some of the components, so they can be changed independently of the current overall mode and the TTRS and R8 V10 Plus have a dedicated button to change the engine/exhaust sound independently, but with most Audis, most settings can only be changed by changing the overall Drive Select mode, which is not always desired, so it's nice to have at least direct control over the powertrain.
Thank you both for your comprehensive answers. I had a notion that the behavior is they way you described but wanted those knowledgeable to confirm my suspicions.
I currently drive mostly in Individual mode with the steering and engine sound to Dynamic but the powertrain to Comfort for decent mileage.
Having the ability to quickly switch the powertrain to Dynamic with the shift lever instead of the MMI is a nice feature to have at the stoplight under certain circumstances.

I am "brand new" to this forum but mighty glad I found it. I undoubtedly will have some future questions but I'll see what I can figure out on my own before posting.
Thank you again.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I currently drive mostly in Individual mode with the steering and engine sound to Dynamic but the powertrain to Comfort for decent mileage
Then simply select the Dynamic mode and use the shifter to switch between Comfort/Auto and Dynamic. When you restart the car, the powertrain is always in Comfort/Auto.

BTW, if you select Auto for engine sound, it will be quiet in D and sporty in S.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
Then simply select the Dynamic mode and use the shifter to switch between Comfort/Auto and Dynamic. When you restart the car, the powertrain is always in Comfort/Auto.

BTW, if you select Auto for engine sound, it will be quiet in D and sporty in S.
The car keeps the previous drive select settings. If you left in Dynamic you return in Dynamic. As far as shifter the car defaults to Park when turned off. You can then choose which gear setting D or S from there.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you both for your comprehensive answers. I had a notion that the behavior is they way you described but wanted those knowledgeable to confirm my suspicions.
I currently drive mostly in Individual mode with the steering and engine sound to Dynamic but the powertrain to Comfort for decent mileage.
Having the ability to quickly switch the powertrain to Dynamic with the shift lever instead of the MMI is a nice feature to have at the stoplight under certain circumstances.

I am "brand new" to this forum but mighty glad I found it. I undoubtedly will have some future questions but I'll see what I can figure out on my own before posting.
Thank you again.
Do you have the flat bottomed steering wheel or the heated steering wheel? If you have the flat bottomed you can reprogram the asterisk * button to change the drive select mode. This allows you to quickly change modes without taking your hands off the wheel. You can reprogram this button in the MMI.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Does Manual transmission mode do anything for engine sound or otherwise, or does it depend on drive select mode?
Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by belzebutt
Does Manual transmission mode do anything for engine sound or otherwise, or does it depend on drive select mode?
You can shift to Manual from either D or S. Manual will use the same engine sound, throttle mapping, etc. as the auto gear you shift from. Essentially you have two different Manual options M/D and M/S. I think there is a change you can make in OBDII that will show M/D vs M/S in the VC instead of simply M.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SolventSolution
The car keeps the previous drive select settings. If you left in Dynamic you return in Dynamic. As far as shifter the car defaults to Park when turned off. You can then choose which gear setting D or S from there.
Yes, the car keeps the previous drive select settings but not the gear selection. I will start in D which override the powertrain settings in drive select. Thus the powertrain will be in Comfort/Auto when he starts his car.

No need to use the Individual mode for his use case (i.e. everything in Dynamic except the powertrain)

Last edited by Yoshimura; 06-04-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 S5 Coupe Dynamic vs Sport Questions