AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   2019 S5 SB Trans MIL at dealer 18 days so far (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/2019-s5-sb-trans-mil-dealer-18-days-so-far-2970833/)

tomsvr6 04-18-2019 09:39 PM

2019 S5 SB Trans MIL at dealer 18 days so far

Hello Audi family,

Long time lurker, previously owned an S4 and A4, and finally needed to create an account to interact with you all to share info about my new 19 S5 SB. In a nutshell, The car threw MIL's on the second day of ownership at 220 miles. It has been in the shop now for 18 days. On the second day of ownership, I started it up and had an array of of MIL's pop up, two for a start/stop malfunctions, and one for a transmission malfunction; no reverse gear. I put the car in reverse, and indeed, there was no reverse. Turned off the car, started it again, and the MIL's were gone, and reverse was fine.

Weird I thought, and went about my day. Later that day, the issue repeated itself. Same fix, restart and carry on as normal. Driving feels normal, and nothing abnormal except for the errors. This is starting to feel like a software bug, because hardware wise, after a "reboot", the car functions as expected. I check these forums, but found noting specific to my error. I booked service and also saw eligibility for: Mfr Campaign/Safety Recall Notice:90M3 Manufacturer Campaign Id: 90M3 Due to a gateway control module software issue in affected vehicles, a no start condition may occur. Symptoms of the gateway control module software issue addressed by this service action include: Engine does not crank/start, instrument cluster does not turn on, dealer able to confirm no communication with gateway control module. Update gateway control module software.

My advisor reached out to let me know that all flashes and updates did not resolve the issue. A new Transmission computer was diagnosed and its a 1 to two week wait for it to arrive from Germany. This info was provided to me on the 3rd, and I assume they are still waiting on the part.

My question for you all is simple, how would you go about handling this situation; could you provide some feedback? The dealer servicing the vehicle in not where it was purchased from. The car was purchased about 160 miles away. My service advisor is top notch, and has helped me to no end in the past. I don't want to come off as bothersome, and I want to allow them the time needed to fix the car right. Should I pester my advisor, contact Audi, or perhaps consider contacting my original purchasing dealership? Again, I want to make it clear that my advisor has always done me wrong, and I don't feel slighted in the least. I guess it is the sadness of knowing your new car broke on the 2nd day of ownership, and all my friends are flabbergasted that a new Audi would require such extended service right off the bat.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...af4fdd8df5.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...29f59ab34d.jpg

tomsvr6 04-18-2019 11:13 PM

err correction since I'm unable to edit...

"my advisor has always done me wrong" should read "my advisor has always done me no wrong"

paulhiggs 04-19-2019 12:39 AM

If you really believe that the dealer who is servicing your S5 for this problem is being inefficient, then certainly contact Audi. As you say in the original post, no one on the forums has raised this before so perhaps the solution is just as unknown to your regular advisor as the local one.

Aside from a transmission computer, it could be a sensor in the gearbox or some other area of the drive train.

Id suggest that you let them work as they need to, enjoy the loaner car (which is probably not an S vehicle) and be assured that tbe dealer and Audi are doing their best.

ArvX147 04-19-2019 04:12 AM

Pursue lemon law, get a new one.

CtheW0rld 04-19-2019 04:36 AM

I know your disappointment. My 2018 Challenger GT broke down after 60 hours. I had to argue for a loaner. The car was in the shop 5 times the first month. In the end, I traded it in on my A5 coupe (very pleased with the decision).

I would say give them a chance since you are pleased with their service. Do keep asking for updates every day or two.

Did they give you a loaner?

The G Man 04-19-2019 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by tomsvr6 (Post 25305183)
Hello Audi family,
My advisor reached out to let me know that all flashes and updates did not resolve the issue. A new Transmission computer was diagnosed and its a 1 to two week wait for it to arrive from Germany. This info was provided to me on the 3rd, and I assume they are still waiting on the part.

First thing I would do is look into your state's lemon law and call Audi to start a case. If the tranny computer does not fix the problem, you will need to go the route of lemon law. Negotiate with Audi and advise them of your intention to file for the lemon law and try to get them to do a volunteer buyback. If the tranny computer does fix the problem, if you so incline, you can still ask Audi for some sort of compensation for your inconvenience, good luck.

tomsvr6 04-19-2019 08:06 AM

"enjoy the loaner car (which is probably not an S vehicle)" - See again, how do I fault my advisor for getting me into an SQ5 loaner? I can't complaint too much as this would be the best case for a like for like service loaner! I completely believe that the dealer and Audi are doing their best, but at what point do i pass a threshold?

I started reading up on buybacks. I know this repair is inching towards a CA lemon law situation. If the transmission computer did not resolve the issue, are they cracking open that transmission swapping out parts or just replacing it with a new one? I'll need to ask my advisor and report back with the details. I spoke with a friend who is a tech at a VW dealership and he said Audi might be interested in buying back the car just to have more time trying to figure out what went wrong. Again this is hypothetical, but he feels Audi might want to get in front of an issue that might be indicative of bigger issues.

Opening a case with Audi would at least put my issue on their radar. I don't think I need to advise them of lemon laws, but as loyal as I am to to the brand, this would be my third strike. Previous S4 imploded and gobbled up the timing chains due to the plastic guides falling apart, known issue...total loss. A4 was also a known issue for an oil consumption motor which drank 1 quart per 1000 miles, nothing but problems with that slushbox. And now this. I swear, I've not slighted a black cat, broken any mirrors or walked under any ladders.

N8! 04-19-2019 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by tomsvr6 (Post 25305302)
" If the transmission computer did not resolve the issue, are they cracking open that transmission swapping out parts or just replacing it with a new one?

Almost no dealership will open a transmission and replace parts these days. It is all about replacing whole assemblies. It is just easier, faster and much less risky.

Zed 2.0 04-19-2019 09:29 AM

Do you want it fixed quickly, or do you want out of the car? If the latter, this is a good point to start reading up on lemon law in your state or reach out to an attorney who specializes in it.

Sebastian3 04-19-2019 09:53 AM

This is awful, frustrating, and frankly—outrageous. I agree with other commenters that pursuing Lemon Law in your state is the right thing to do. My mom did it successfully with her 2015 Volkswagen Golf and they bought the car back as well as paid her for her inconvenience.