Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

5K Mile 2018 Audi S5 Coupe Mini-Review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5K Mile 2018 Audi S5 Coupe Mini-Review!

*This won’t be a thorough review of all the features. No real structure to this post.*

Color combo = Navarra Blue with Rotar Gray (carbon atlas inlays)

Options = Prestige, 19” wheels, driver assistance pack, S sport pack, fine nappa leather, dynamic steering

Additional add-on: Modesta Paul Dalton Coating

Here we go! I love this car! Pictures don’t do this car justice..Navarra Blue really sets it off. I have received many compliments (from random strangers and friends alike); far more than expected. I was taken aback by how many people enjoyed looking at it especially since the internet is full of Audi haters haha. In all seriousness though, it’s humbling to have people come out of their way and compliment it. 5k miles in and the car is going like a champ. Ride was initially rough on the Continental tires, but got smoother as time went on. I got a tire rotation done a few days ago at Discount Tire and the tires are performing well even though they’re at around 42psi (door sticker). As expected the car puts power down well due to the Quattro system. The ride is sporty but not backbreaking in any way..the S sport seats look and feel amazing too (passengers love the massaging features), but I always worry that the seats will stain even though I got them coated with Modesta. I haven’t tested an S5 without dynamic steering, but I can say that in everyday driving, in comfort mode, it is easy to live with (something I was initially worried about).

I really enjoy using the MMI. I love being able to enter an address while the car is in motion; other cars in the household have to be at a standstill. The head-up display is extremely clear..love how navigation instructions and speed limit info is shown. The speed limit recognition is on-point and is a feature I have come to appreciate (thought it would be a gimmick and unreliable). It’s a missed feature in my other cars. 360 camera is really useful and the one of the main reasons I went with the prestige model. The virtual cockpit is a joy to experience every time I drive. Having Google Earth in the car is pretty awesome, but on 2 separate occasions the navigation led me past my destination by about 1,000-2,000ft (Google Maps on my phone didn’t have this error for the same locations). I have used the self-driving feature a couple of times, but only for brief periods. Nice feature, but I need to test it more. The car’s interior lighting is awesome..the cabin looks like a spaceship at night with all the tech. I plan to make a video showing the interior lighting at night and will post it if I do (for anyone interested). I love the front and rear exterior LEDs..the long brake-light and the dynamic turn signals complete the car. The different drive modes offer nice flexibility and the exhaust note is better than I expected it to be. Quad-pipes add to the sporty nature of the car.

As no car in the world is perfect, here are some of my gripes about the S5. There seems to be a decent amount of road noise due to the panorama roof..I wouldn’t have got this option if I had a choice. Kind of annoying as I was expecting the cabin to be relatively isolated from road noise like the new A4. There have been some rattles in the car (speaker grills, center console, rear of passenger door near pillar). Oddly though, the rattles come and go, but I plan on getting them addressed by the dealer. I plan to bring up the road noise issue coming from the panorama roof as well, but I’m not sure the dealer will be able to do much about that. The passenger window was making a grinding noise the first time I used it, however this problem was fixed by the dealer. The backside of the front seats have some rubbery plastic material (not sure what it is) and I had a passenger create a long surface scratch that won’t come off..weird since scratches like this could happen often with rear passengers getting in and out of the car. The auto start/stop feature cannot be permanently disabled since it resets every time the car is turned on.

Regardless of these small gripes, this car is awesome! It has a nice balance of tech, luxury, sportiness, and aesthetics. To me, it’s not all about speed/performance and this is the only car in its class to check all the boxes for my needs..or should I say wants? Haha.

Thanks for spending the time to read this post!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Great honest review,thanks for sharing and would love to see the interior video your planning on doing.

I believe it was discussed before about tire pressures, 42 lbs seems kind of high.

Lastly, would love to see some pictures of your car...and enjoy!
Old 09-22-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks to this forum I found out that I drove for 5K miles with 42 PSI. I'm now approaching 6.5k and it is a much better ride by just lowering as stated in the manual. I'm pleased how the cabin insulates well from exterior by noises.

Last edited by Abtpl; 09-22-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
Great honest review,thanks for sharing and would love to see the interior video your planning on doing.

I believe it was discussed before about tire pressures, 42 lbs seems kind of high.

Lastly, would love to see some pictures of your car...and enjoy!
Thanks! I'm out of town, but once I get back I'll post the video and some pics. Yeah, it does seem high.. I'll lower the psi and see how it goes. When is your S5 coming in?!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Abtpl
Thanks to this forum I found out that I drove for 5K miles with 42 PSI. I'm now approaching 6.5k and it is a much better ride by just lowering as stated in the manual. I'm pleased how the cabin insulates well from exterior by noises.
Nice 6.5k miles! How has your overall experience been? Yeah, this forum is helpful!
Old 09-23-2017, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zoheb15
Thanks! I'm out of town, but once I get back I'll post the video and some pics. Yeah, it does seem high.. I'll lower the psi and see how it goes. When is your S5 coming in?!
I'm thinking around the first of the year...sooner I hope!
Old 09-29-2017, 09:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here are some pics! I will be uploading the interior video soon as well! Sorry for the delay!
Attached Thumbnails 5K Mile 2018 Audi S5 Coupe Mini-Review!-s5-1.jpg   5K Mile 2018 Audi S5 Coupe Mini-Review!-s5-2.jpg   5K Mile 2018 Audi S5 Coupe Mini-Review!-s5-3.jpg   5K Mile 2018 Audi S5 Coupe Mini-Review!-s5-4.jpg  
Old 09-30-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Nice pictures of your car, perfect place to take pictures with the fluorescent lighting, accurate rendition of the blue, well done!
Old 09-30-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Very sexy that Navarra Blue is...
Old 10-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by synergize
Nice pictures of your car, perfect place to take pictures with the fluorescent lighting, accurate rendition of the blue, well done!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 5K Mile 2018 Audi S5 Coupe Mini-Review!