Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 launch control?

Old 04-10-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HunterWagner
I keep hearing different stories about launch control in the S5. Can anyone here 100% confirm that you can do it in the S5?
Nobody has offered anything but speculation, so you can choose what to believe. I have no doubt that loading up the torque converter by holding the brake and gas and quickly letting off the brake will approximate launch control, but whether turning off ESC helps or if there's anything other magic under the hood is anyone's guess. Audi doesn't document it anywhere.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks RC. The only thing I worry about is will it damage the breaks at all if you only do it once in a blue moon? I have only had my S5 for about 5 weeks and I notice my brakes make a slight errrt noise at slow speed when I am letting off of them. The dealership tells me it is normal.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't think the car will auto hold the RPM at a set limit (3000 RPM for the S5 and 3500 RPM the RS5) unless you put the car into "launch" mode (ESC = Sport, Dynamic and transmission to S mode) while holding down the brake. I could be wrong though.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Don’t people who own a S5 should have a manual that explains about the launch control? My A5 has the launch control program as it says in the manual and with the instructions.

Last edited by stwus; 04-14-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a Audi A5 3.0Tdi Sportback quattro with S-Tronic (7 gear) from 2011 and I've tried to use the launch control with no success...
I've done everything what everyone is saying:
1) Disable ESP (long press)
2) Gear into "S"
3) Left foot on the brake (hard press)
4) Right foot on the throttle (floor it)
And then the RPMs start slowly increasing until reaching about 2k, then they start imediatly decending to idle (with the throttle all the way down - seems like the car is self-protecting to avoid what i'm doing)
This car doesn't have the modes where I can select "Dynamic mode" (I've already search everywhere)
I've already called Audi and gave them my VIN number to confirm that I have a S-Tronic
The instructions manual don't refer anywhere about a "launch control program" aswell..

Can someone help me out? Am I doing anything wrong?
Old 07-19-2020, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zever47
I have a Audi A5 3.0Tdi Sportback quattro with S-Tronic (7 gear) from 2011 and I've tried to use the launch control with no success...
I've done everything what everyone is saying:
1) Disable ESP (long press)
2) Gear into "S"
3) Left foot on the brake (hard press)
4) Right foot on the throttle (floor it)
And then the RPMs start slowly increasing until reaching about 2k, then they start imediatly decending to idle (with the throttle all the way down - seems like the car is self-protecting to avoid what i'm doing)
This car doesn't have the modes where I can select "Dynamic mode" (I've already search everywhere)
I've already called Audi and gave them my VIN number to confirm that I have a S-Tronic
The instructions manual don't refer anywhere about a "launch control program" aswell..

Can someone help me out? Am I doing anything wrong?
Make sure to also disable Auto start/stop. That was the only part I saw missing in the steps you listed.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Augster
Make sure to also disable Auto start/stop. That was the only part I saw missing in the steps you listed.
Yeah! I forgot to mention that! My car doesn't have start and stop aswell
Old 07-19-2020, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Zever, you have posted in the B9 forum, your question is very specific to the B8 forum, and even then, most here won't be familiar with your model.

I do remember that for a relatively brief period, the B8 A5 Sportback 3.0 TDI with the S tronic did have LC enabled. But only on certain software update versions. And it almost seemed an accident that it was included, which is why it isn't in the manual. Your car may not have that version. For you to be aware the car may have LC, you must have already read the threads on this posted in the A5OC forums, because that's where I remember it from? Such as here, and look at the ASAM data set version, because A02087 is the version needed for launch control:
https://www.a5oc.com/threads/ive-got...-3-0tdi.14795/

It is also possible, if you are not the original owner, that the car has exceeded the LC limit (200 IIRC).

Finally, even if you do have LC, it can be quite fussy to engage on the earlier cars. In addition to what you listed, the engine and transmission temps have to be in operating range, and the steering wheel has to be pointed straight ahead. It doesn't matter that the car doesn't have ADS, being in S mode is enough. As soon as you punch the accelerator, you will know if LC is engaged or not - that slow drag up to 2k rpm means not. When engaged, it will feel like you are blipping the throttle in neutral, no drag, and almost instantly up to 3000rpm, where it will hold. I did re-read in that thread I linked, that there should be a delay between pressing hard on the brake pedal, and touching the accelerator, or it will not go into LC mode.

Your choice, but I would not be engaging LC too often on an almost 10 year old DL501 (they weren't doing much torque cutting back then) with a 500Nm engine unless I had the funds saved for a possible mechatronics replacement. There is a reason Audi used counter limits with this transmission.

The following users liked this post:
Zever47 (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
Nobody has offered anything but speculation, so you can choose what to believe. I have no doubt that loading up the torque converter by holding the brake and gas and quickly letting off the brake will approximate launch control, but whether turning off ESC helps or if there's anything other magic under the hood is anyone's guess. Audi doesn't document it anywhere.
There is definitely other magic under the hood. For one, engine power is not cut during each shift. Obviously, you never tried it.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
There is definitely other magic under the hood. For one, engine power is not cut during each shift. Obviously, you never tried it.
It also lets you build full boost. If you just try and brake boost "normally" it will only let you build half boost.

Search this Thread