Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5/S5 SB Accessories/Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jamis
Installed my radar detector a few weeks ago (hard wired using a MirrorTap harness from the rear view mirror) and an Anker Roav dash cam (from a USB charger in the dash 12v) last week.

It's a pretty clean and easy install (dash cam)for not being hardwired...

Very nice! For the Mirrortap what length did you go with and would you have gone longer or shorter now that you are done? 10", 15" or 20" ? And, what size "tap" worked best, .060, etc?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2017, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my lights, not bad for $13, this was taken in my well-lit parking garage...They draw a lot of comments

Old 06-13-2017, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bbbobbb
Very nice! For the Mirrortap what length did you go with and would you have gone longer or shorter now that you are done? 10", 15" or 20" ? And, what size "tap" worked best, .060, etc?

Thanks!
I went with the 15" and it was a good length... I'd err on the side of longer. There is plenty of room to wrap/tuck extra wire up inside the plastic cover for the mirror/harness.

I believe I used the .075 taps... but I'm not 100% sure. It was definitely one of the silver colored ones.

The red tap paired with the yellow wire in the upper left most spot in the harness, the the black tap paired with the brown wire in the next spot over on the harness.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with the 15" and it was a good length... I'd err on the side of longer. There is plenty of room to wrap/tuck extra wire up inside the plastic cover for the mirror/harness.

I believe I used the .075 taps... but I'm not 100% sure. It was definitely one of the silver colored ones.

The red tap paired with the yellow wire in the upper left most spot in the harness, the the black tap paired with the brown wire in the next spot over on the harness.
Thanks Jamis!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! Could you comment on where the screws are hidden on the B9? ( I looked but didnt see them)
Old 06-13-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Quattrings
Nice! Could you comment on where the screws are hidden on the B9? ( I looked but didnt see them)
Which screws are you referring to?
Old 06-13-2017, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Does the cover just pop off? I didnt want to damage it, so left it alone.

Which screws are you referring to?
Old 06-13-2017, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah... if you have a trim removal tool, it makes things easier.

I pried around the outside edges (between the rubber gasket and the windshield) to loosen it and then its primarily held in by two plastic tabs back next to the headliner. Once the edges are loosened, you can pull the piece straight down (with some wiggling). You can get your fingers between the piece of the windshield once the edges have pulled away. Its a little stubborn the first time, but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. I've removed it 3-4 times in total at this point.

Last edited by jamis; 06-13-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you! How do you like your Anker Cam? I've always thought Anker made some nice products and have excellent reviews. Have you noticed any issues with hot weather?

Yeah... if you have a trim removal tool, it makes things easier.

I pried around the outside edges (between the rubber gasket and the windshield) to loosen it and then its primarily held in by two plastic tabs back next to the headliner. Once the edges are loosened, you can pull the piece straight down (with some wiggling). You can get your fingers between the piece of the windshield once the edges have pulled away. Its a little stubborn the first time, but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. I've removed it 3-4 times in total at this point.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

So far so good with the Anker Cam. It's a good budget camera in a decent form factor.

It's been well into the 90's here for the last several days and it's been chugging along without a problem. The car's thermometer was showing an outside temp of 111F initially when I went to lunch yesterday.

Quick Reply: A5/S5 SB Accessories/Mods