Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5/S5 tow hitch for 1 1/4" bike racks

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A5/S5 tow hitch for 1 1/4" bike racks

An aftermarket tow hitch likely doesn't exist today, but I'm eager to take my bike out occasionally. If anyone ever finds one for the A5/S5, please post! Maybe later this summer.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

following
Old 05-22-2017, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm having the same problem with the B9 S4. U-Haul's site says they'll fabricate one for me, but I've seen their version of hitches and they're never very aesthetic.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:17 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Can't you go the European route and get a ball hitch and a rack that clamps on to it?

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/zub...rear-transport

Although it would be better if Audi made a hitch like the one I bought for my wife's MINI that connects to the frame via the tow hook threads in the bumper:

Last edited by N8!; 05-22-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I haven't been able to get confirmation that the OE hitch is compatible with the S4. I checked with my dealer and their parts department and was unable to get confirmation. Plus I already have a standard hitch bike rack.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:40 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by h2olgd
I haven't been able to get confirmation that the OE hitch is compatible with the S4..
I am almost positive it is since this is how Audi owners in DE rack their whips.

But, the Euro option is a no-go in your case, as it sounds like you have a reciever hitch bike rack. I'd think it would extend too far past the rear bumper and scraping on the pavement on dips as one exits/enters parking lots etc.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been trying to figure out how to carry two bikes with the new s5 coupe. Audi customer service told me that at this time Audi doesn't have or make any hitch installation on this car.
im thinking at two solutions which are not the prettiest ones: take pedals off and slide in the bikes with the car's back seats reclined... or buy this:
http://www.hollywoodracks.com/mobile/f6-expedition-trunk-bike-rack-2-bike ...but I wonder whether it will scratch the car in the long run. Please post your finding if you have any.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2017, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Abtpl
I have been trying to figure out how to carry two bikes with the new s5 coupe. Audi customer service told me that at this time Audi doesn't have or make any hitch installation on this car.
im thinking at two solutions which are not the prettiest ones: take pedals off and slide in the bikes with the car's back seats reclined... or buy this:
F6 Expedition Trunk Bike Rack 2 Bike Trunk Rack | Hollywood Racks ...but I wonder whether it will scratch the car in the long run. Please post your finding if you have any.
Thanks
It sounds like you're in the same boat I'm in. I would personally avoid the trunk/bumper mounted type of rack for so many reasons: Scratches, dents, unsightly, lack of trunk access, etc. There's always the roof rack option. I still have the Yakima rack I used to have on the A3 before the 1Up hitch rack I have now. Also, I'm sure U-Haul or the local hitch/trailer company can make one for me, but those usually hang low and stick out (Yes, that's a bad thing on a car!).
Old 05-23-2017, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am really looking to add the 1.25" receiver hitch mount when they become available (and hey will) remove the rack when not in use, but otherwise, any good platform carrying hitch mount, ie the ones that the bike is supported by the wheels, not hung by the top tube (1up, Kuat, etc) is the best way to go here. I am getting a Cabrio, so no option for a roof mount..
i do have a saris bones rack that I will try to use until I can get a hitch.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just added the Curt hitch which apparently is the A4 hitch but fits the A5/S5 perfectly.
you do have to cut a small bit of the bumper valence underneath. I hope it won't get noticed on vehicle turn in at lease end, would be surprised, but if i do a precheck a month early, i can have it replaced cheaply at that point, as it is a separate valence and not the entire bumper.

I will have the gold bolts you see extending down, trimmed as well.
the Curt part is here - CURT Manufacturing - CURT Class 1 Trailer Hitch #11448
this was speced for a 2018 A5 Coupe per curt, but fit perfectly on my 2018 S5 Cabrio.

I had the work done by my classic car shop who works on my old Tr6

Quick Reply: A5/S5 tow hitch for 1 1/4" bike racks