Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 SB Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 01:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 SB Engine Failure

Hello All,

I have a 2018 A5 SB that I purchased in August, 2017 and currently has 12,400 miles. I was driving home from work the other day when I started hearing a flapping sound. My first thought was I had a small branch or something stuck to the undercarriage that was hitting the wheel. Then it started getting louder. Luckily I was just down the street from my house. By the time I pulled into my housing community the noise was much louder and I knew it was coming from the engine compartment. My gut instinct knew something was very wrong. I called Audi Roadside Assistance and had the car towed to the dealer. After two days of troubleshooting the dealer was unable to determine where the noise was coming from but they found metal shavings in the oil and Audi told them to replace the entire engine.

I'm not too thrilled with having my brand new $50k car needing a new engine. I'm concerned about long term reliability now and the lost resale value of having a new car needing an engine replacement. Audi supposedly sent my dealer a brand new engine from Germany. They are supposed to get it in on Friday. In the meantime I've opened a case with Audi of America and they are currently reviewing everything. I hope they take care of the situation so I can remain a loyal Audi customer. Anyone else been in a similar situation? Did Audi take care of you?
Old 05-30-2018, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. Audi bought back my allroad and took VERY good care of me. PM me if you need contacts or assistance. I'd be glad to help
Old 05-31-2018, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MatteoP
Hello All,

I have a 2018 A5 SB that I purchased in August, 2017 and currently has 12,400 miles. I was driving home from work the other day when I started hearing a flapping sound. My first thought was I had a small branch or something stuck to the undercarriage that was hitting the wheel. Then it started getting louder. Luckily I was just down the street from my house. By the time I pulled into my housing community the noise was much louder and I knew it was coming from the engine compartment. My gut instinct knew something was very wrong. I called Audi Roadside Assistance and had the car towed to the dealer. After two days of troubleshooting the dealer was unable to determine where the noise was coming from but they found metal shavings in the oil and Audi told them to replace the entire engine.

I'm not too thrilled with having my brand new $50k car needing a new engine. I'm concerned about long term reliability now and the lost resale value of having a new car needing an engine replacement. Audi supposedly sent my dealer a brand new engine from Germany. They are supposed to get it in on Friday. In the meantime I've opened a case with Audi of America and they are currently reviewing everything. I hope they take care of the situation so I can remain a loyal Audi customer. Anyone else been in a similar situation? Did Audi take care of you?
Ouch! I hope Audi is able to help you out. Where did you buy it?
Old 05-31-2018, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SportbackNewbie
Ouch! I hope Audi is able to help you out. Where did you buy it?
Yeah, me too! I purchased it from Audi Mission Viejo.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default I had an engine failure in a 2006 BMW 335i coupe...

Yeah, me too! I purchased it from Audi Mission Viejo.
I was given the option of $5000 plus a new warranty or a buy out. I took the $5000 and the new warranty.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
I was given the option of $5000 plus a new warranty or a buy out. I took the $5000 and the new warranty.
And now you are done with BMW
Old 05-31-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah...

[QUOTE=MatteoP;25160204]And now you are done with BMW./QUOTE]

But not over that car: I went Dinan Stage 2 and put another 80,000 km on it.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=NoMoreBMWs;25160218]
And now you are done with BMW./QUOTE]

But not over that car: I went Dinan Stage 2 and put another 80,000 km on it.
In all seriousness they offered you a really good deal and at least they give you options. So after replacing the engine how many major issues did you have, if any?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I remember a seized caliper...

[QUOTE=MatteoP;25160220]
Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs

In all seriousness they offered you a really good deal and at least they give you options. So after replacing the engine how many major issues did you have, if any?
And I broke a wheel in Michigan (where else?). The original engine was shipped back to Germany. The warranty costs must have been staggering: two fuel pumps, two turbos, and sundry other issues. I was pretty confident that BMW would make sure that the new N54 they put in would be bulletproof.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Allroading17
Yes. Audi bought back my allroad and took VERY good care of me. PM me if you need contacts or assistance. I'd be glad to help
Hey Allroading,
I was replying to your PM but it says your inbox is full

Quick Reply: A5 SB Engine Failure