Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 SB TFSI 2.0T Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 SB TFSI 2.0T Engine

Any A4 TFSI 2.0T owners out there? I'm curious what the engine performance is like with this engine as I suspect it's the exact same as the A5 SB. Does it have a lot of lag?

It says the 2.0T goes 0 to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds - 252-hp turbocharged engine and 273 lb-ft of torque.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes I am a '17 A4 owner. The engine does not have a lot of lag at all. In fact, if you start the car out in Sport mode (which just takes a pull back on the shifter) there is zero lag. The entire car is a pleasure, from the power/handling to the interior/tech. It is extremely quiet (A8 decibels) and is sneaky fast. I have found myself driving 80mph and over without even realizing it. Brilliant car, and I'm sure the A5 SB will drive similarly.

Just check out some of the comments in the A4 forum.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ce-a4-2908597/
Old 03-03-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow - that thread was great.

I'm not ordering until later this year - likely September/October. However, the past cars I've owned always had lag when I really needed power. I was convinced that I would get an "S" version of my next car - which will be an Audi 2018 A5 SB or Q5.

After reading that thread and watching (and listening) to Autogefuhl's comprehensive youtube video review (and test drive) of the A5 SB, I really believe I'll be ok with the 2.0T engine. That will save me 8-9K and allow me to look at other upgrades.

It looks like Audi is really hitting its stride. Can't wait to own one.

Appreciate the info.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Sure thing. I know it's a small thing, but it's one that I appreciate every day. My S5 had tons of brake dust. My wheels had to be cleaned every day. My A4 has zero brake dust, so I never clean the wheels unless I wash the car. And the brakes are still great! Just one of life's little pleasures.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Same here, new to Audi and have been looking since last year, initially was waiting for 2017 A4 then hearing about release of the A5 SB, have been waiting A5 to test drive at the dealer, also debate between A5 2.0T vs S5.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Snake, I think the only debate between the A5 and S5 is if you want to spend the $$$$. The S5 performance is really in a different league. If you value performance and drive both the decision will be quite easy.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think the question is - how much of a different league is the S5 in comparatively? The reviews make it sound like the gap is very little. Is your experience different?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Tysandrew
I think the question is - how much of a different league is the S5 in comparatively? The reviews make it sound like the gap is very little. Is your experience different?
You need to drive them yourself, if possible. Not many in the US will have done the comparison, and most posters here are from NA. But the S4 and S5 must be about to appear there any moment. So shouldn't be too far away for you.

But given your ordering timeframe, the S5 SB should be around by then.

Just be aware the Sportback weighs more than the A4, so torque differences between engines become more noticeable.

Thomas' review of the A5/S5 Sportback did imply the 2.0TFSI was "enough" for him, and for many it would be too. It is hardly a slow car. But you should also look at his later review of the S5 Cabriolet, as in that case, he is rather more enamoured with the S5. One thing to watch in his reviews is that he is not a sports oriented driver, and not always aware what mode he has the car in. But you can see from the dash displays.

The 0-60mph time (and a 1 second difference is large, in relative terms) is only one factor. How the car feels, how the car handles is important too. In the US, you can only get the Sport diff with an S vehicle. That's important to me, but for others perhaps not.

Between an A5/S5 Sportback and a Q5/SQ5 is perhaps the more fundamental decision to make first, than which version within the model range?
Old 03-10-2017, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 19hole
Snake, I think the only debate between the A5 and S5 is if you want to spend the $$$$. The S5 performance is really in a different league. If you value performance and drive both the decision will be quite easy.

You're right at the point, I've tried config the S5 coupe and it's around $63k, I believe the S5 SB is going to be higher, max would be close to $70k. I have budget for that but the question is would it be worthy ? whereas the A5 and S5 shared pretty much almost of everything except a powerfull 3.0T engine.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snake07
You're right at the point, I've tried config the S5 coupe and it's around $63k, I believe the S5 SB is going to be higher, max would be close to $70k. I have budget for that but the question is would it be worthy ? whereas the A5 and S5 shared pretty much almost of everything except a powerfull 3.0T engine.
S5 SB is $200 less than the coupe and more or less have the same options available. You might be able to negotiate a better discount on the coupe though.

Quick Reply: A5 SB TFSI 2.0T Engine