Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 Sportback Homelink trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 Sportback Homelink trouble

I have a new 2018 A5 Sportback. The Homelink will not sync to my Liftmaster model 3850. Called Homelink, they say an issue with the Homelink buttons installed in vehicle, Audi says they have no such information. Any thoughts on how to fix?
Old 11-22-2017, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

You will want to read the thread at https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...eiver-2931280/ to see all of the discussion on the issue.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by heisnuts
You will want to read the thread at https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...eiver-2931280/ to see all of the discussion on the issue.
Thanks for directing me to the thread. Unfortunately, none of the programming hints was successful. There obviously is a problem syncing the Homelink in the 2018 A5 to garage doors with Homelink. Solutions that may have worked with a 2017 A4 do not necessarily work with the A5 Sportback due to the different versions of Homelink. For example, certain directions were for Version 5 of Homelink, and my vehicle is equipped with Version 7 according to the MMI. If anyone has successfully programmed the Homelink in a 2018 Audi A5 Sportback, I'd appreciate hearing how you did so.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm guessing you didn't read everything, but that's ok because it's a really long thread at this point.

TL;DR: I've been working with HomeLink for a while who in turn worked with Audi, and Audisupposedly has a fix in the works which will lead to a service bulletin. Audi called me last week and my car is going in this Wednesday to be the guinea pig. If it works, a bulletin will be issued and I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

The gist of the thread is this;

Garage door opener with purple button = no go
Garage door opener with yellow button (the latest ones) = go
Old 11-27-2017, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankS5
I'm guessing you didn't read everything, but that's ok because it's a really long thread at this point.

TL;DR: I've been working with HomeLink for a while who in turn worked with Audi, and Audisupposedly has a fix in the works which will lead to a service bulletin. Audi called me last week and my car is going in this Wednesday to be the guinea pig. If it works, a bulletin will be issued and I'll keep everyone posted.
I'm betting the fix is that they're going to turn off detecting the wireless key when you hit the HomeLink button, if indeed there's a frequency collision with the wireless key as some suggest.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
I'm betting the fix is that they're going to turn off detecting the wireless key when you hit the HomeLink button, if indeed there's a frequency collision with the wireless key as some suggest.
they're telling me it has something to do with only prestige models so who knows. I tried taking the key out to program it as well. Sounds like some sort of frequency interference for sure though. Should we start a pool and place bets?
Old 11-28-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

they're telling me it has something to do with only prestige models so who knows. I tried taking the key out to program it as well. Sounds like some sort of frequency interference for sure though. Should we start a pool and place bets?
i went a somewhat extreme route and just replaced my whole garage door opener with a new top of the line Chamberlain. Programmed right away and the range is amazing.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stan23
i went a somewhat extreme route and just replaced my whole garage door opener with a new top of the line Chamberlain. Programmed right away and the range is amazing.
I'd say that's pretty extreme. I already have the add-on MyQ system and was actually able to program mine with the 390mhz frequency (separate remote), but since I already opened up the can of worms with Audi, I figured I'd at least follow through since they seem to be responsive.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd say that's pretty extreme. I already have the add-on MyQ system and was actually able to program mine with the 390mhz frequency (separate remote), but since I already opened up the can of worms with Audi, I figured I'd at least follow through since they seem to be responsive.
the damage wasn't too bad. 250 bucks on sale and a few hours to install it. My old opener is about 10 years old and noisy. New one is whisper quiet, built in WiFi, battery backup, LCD display, etc. Has latest rolling code, So it was a great upgrade overall.

Quick Reply: A5 Sportback Homelink trouble