Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 Sportback Rear Rattle over bumps ~ 35 mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 Sportback Rear Rattle over bumps ~ 35 mph

Let me first say I love my new car. But it's been in the shop 4 times for a rear rattle that occurs over the crappy potholes in Michigan around 30-40 mph. Driving me insane. This last visit to the dealer the tech told me they drove other A5 SBs and experienced the same rear rattle noise. They contacted Audi who said this is "normal" and have no fix at this time. Am I up a creek? Lemon law? Recall?? This is my fourth Audi and never have had this much trouble. Any suggestions? Others experiencing the same?
Old 06-06-2018, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lkaufma1
Let me first say I love my new car. But it's been in the shop 4 times for a rear rattle that occurs over the crappy potholes in Michigan around 30-40 mph. Driving me insane. This last visit to the dealer the tech told me they drove other A5 SBs and experienced the same rear rattle noise. They contacted Audi who said this is "normal" and have no fix at this time. Am I up a creek? Lemon law? Recall?? This is my fourth Audi and never have had this much trouble. Any suggestions? Others experiencing the same?
I'm gonna guess they won't buy your vehicle back under the lemon law for a rattle. I can only speak for CA (as that where I live), but i'm going to guess Michigan is similar. In CA you have to go in for the same warranty item 4 or more times, but it is rebuttable. I'd be highly surprised if they bought it back for that. Lemon Laws are not absolute. Good luck in any resolution from them. Rattles drive me crazy also.

Lemon Law Presumption*

Within the Song-Beverly Act, there is a presumption guideline wherein it is presumed that a vehicle is a “lemon” if the following criteria are met within 18 months of delivery to the buyer or lessee or 18,000 miles on the vehicle’s odometer, whichever comes first:

• The manufacturer or its agents have made two or more attempts to repair a warranty problem that results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven;
• The manufacturer or its agents have made four or more attempts to repair the same warranty problem; or
• The vehicle has been out of service for more than 30 days (not necessarily all at the same time) while being repaired for any number of warranty problems; or
• The problems are covered by the warranty, substantially reduce the vehicle’s use, value, or safety to the consumer and are not caused by abuse of the vehicle;
• If required by the warranty materials or by the owner’s manual, the consumer has to directly notify the manufacturer about the problem(s), preferably in writing. The notice must be sent to the address shown in the warranty or owner’s manual (for bullets 1 and 2).

If these criteria are met, the Lemon Law presumes that the buyer or lessee is entitled to a replacement vehicle or a refund of the purchase price. However, this presumption is rebuttable. The manufacturer may show that the criteria has not been met (for example, because the problems are minor) and therefore, the buyer or lessee is not entitled to a replacement vehicle or refund.

*Source: California Civil Code Section 1793.22(b).

Last edited by BryanB8.5; 06-06-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate rattles. I really do. But how quiet is a car supposed to be going over a large pothole at 35 mph? Does the rattle happen over smoother roads? Is there any way to show a recording of the rattle?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

Remove the rear parcel shelf and also the panel that clips into the rear screen. I think those might be the source of the rattle in the back.
The following users liked this post:
lstereo (02-10-2023)
Old 06-06-2018, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by juicebox098
I hate rattles. I really do. But how quiet is a car supposed to be going over a large pothole at 35 mph? Does the rattle happen over smoother roads? Is there any way to show a recording of the rattle?
Never happens over smooth roads. I've had a loaner A4 while it's been at the shop traveling over the exact same roads with no rattle whatsoever. It's a secondary rattle that happens milliseconds AFTER the pothole that sounds like something is loose. But of course nothing is loose according to the dealer.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My car has no such rattle. Rattles can be tough to diagnose/fix sometimes; be persistent about the noise, don't let them tell you it's normal. If they say it's normal in other A5s, make them sit with you in your car, then their A5, over the same road to experience the rattle. Then have them work until they fix it.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lkaufma1
Never happens over smooth roads. I've had a loaner A4 while it's been at the shop traveling over the exact same roads with no rattle whatsoever. It's a secondary rattle that happens milliseconds AFTER the pothole that sounds like something is loose. But of course nothing is loose according to the dealer.
I have the same rattle. Sounds like it is coming from the rear driver's side passenger seat / C pillar. Almost like the seat belt assembly is loose under one of the interior panels. My car has under 500 miles.

I still need to remove the parcel shelves to see if that solves it, but they seemed surdy/rubberized when I messed around with it last. I'm traveling so haven't' been able to do much driving lately so will try this next time I take the car out.

For me it's not potholes but uneven pavement in general that happens....undulating pavement, dirt roads, etc.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer fixed two major rattles in my hatch. Felt tape around the pins on the parcel shelf that attaches to the hatch door. And felt tape in the area where the latch goes in. Solved it for me. Sounds like it could be the second one for you. YMMV
The following users liked this post:
lstereo (02-10-2023)
Old 06-06-2018, 08:27 PM
JD.
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had a similar issue on my 2018 S4. This is where the dealer isolated the noise. Look for the small arrow
Old 06-07-2018, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD.
I had a similar issue on my 2018 S4. This is where the dealer isolated the noise. Look for the small arrow

is that the C pillar on the driver’s side?

Quick Reply: A5 Sportback Rear Rattle over bumps ~ 35 mph