Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 Sportback Rear Rattle over bumps ~ 35 mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jvo5319

aww man that sounds frustrating. I’ll stay in touch with you and see how your repair went. Best of luck. Disappointing they have to take a brand new car apart within one month of ownership. What kind of loaner did they let you use for 2 weeks?
Absolutely, and thanks I'll keep everyone posted in hopes of having others get their issues resolved as well.

I had an '18 A5 SB and '19 Q5. Couldn't complain too much, but it certainly wasn't my car.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Just wanted to update everyone on my endeavor.

The rattle is finally fixed. It feels like I took delivery of my car again after driving it for 2k miles with the rattle and I took delivery with just 6! Yes, 6 miles. I am a happy camper.

Here is what was on my service report. Note, I have a B9 A4 so I am not sure if the P/N will correlate with the A5 family but it is worth looking into.

8W5-885-502-A-CA9

THE RIGHT REAR SEAT BACK FRAME ASSEMBLY HAS A RATTLE WHEN DRIVING ON ROUGH ROADS. ROAD TESTED VEHICLE
AND FOUND THERE IS A RATTLE COMING FROM INSIDE THE RIGHT REAR SEAT BACK FRAME. FOUND THE FRAME ASSEMBLY MAKES
A RATTLE NOISE DUE TO INTERNAL FRICTION FROM THE WELDED COMPONENTS. REMOVED THE RIGHT REAR SEAT BACK
ASSEMBLY, REMOVED THE SEAT COVER AND PADDING AND INSTALLED THE COVER AND PADDING ONTO A NEW SEAT BACK FRAME.
INSTALLED THE SEAT BACK FRAME AND ROAD TESTED TO VERIFY THE NOISE IS GONE.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle in 2018 Audi A5 Cabriolet

Originally Posted by lkaufma1
Let me first say I love my new car. But it's been in the shop 4 times for a rear rattle that occurs over the crappy potholes in Michigan around 30-40 mph. Driving me insane. This last visit to the dealer the tech told me they drove other A5 SBs and experienced the same rear rattle noise. They contacted Audi who said this is "normal" and have no fix at this time. Am I up a creek? Lemon law? Recall?? This is my fourth Audi and never have had this much trouble. Any suggestions? Others experiencing the same?
We also have an Audi A5 2018 Cabriolet and when the roof is up and you hit a slight bump there is a loud banging noise coming from the rear trunk area. it has been to the Audi dealership twice for this and the first time they could not duplicate but the second time they did hear the loud metal type banging noise. It is not what I expected buying a 60K car a noise. The tech wrote on the work order that this also happened when they drove another Audi A5 so it seems normal to them and that is it!!!. This is so crazy! I guess if they take that approach if other cars have the same problem it is normal. Well, the car is going back and going to live there until fixed! Imagine if you have a steering problem and others have it, WTF.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is the work order. States rattle is normal. Yes if this is normal the car is back on your lot to sell to normal people, not me! I will not have a car that rattles especially if new and expensive.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Daaavid
Just wanted to update everyone on my endeavor.

The rattle is finally fixed. It feels like I took delivery of my car again after driving it for 2k miles with the rattle and I took delivery with just 6! Yes, 6 miles. I am a happy camper.

Here is what was on my service report. Note, I have a B9 A4 so I am not sure if the P/N will correlate with the A5 family but it is worth looking into.
Glad you got it fixed. Can I ask, was the rattle intermittent? Mine is and although I haven't pinpointed it to bumpy roads, it may well be a bump that initially starts it rattling. Seems to also stop if someone is sat in the seat!
My S5 B9 has been in 4 times to investigate but they haven't duplicated the sound, but technician came out with me yesterday and heard it so it's going in next Tuesday to be stripped down.
I sent them a link to this page along with my sound recording of the sound!

Jon
Old 09-06-2019, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

PS mine is the Sportback and bought it ex-demo last October!

Jon (UK)
Old 10-31-2019, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A5 SB Rear Rattling

Driving me absolutely nuts. Looked everywhere for the rear rattling. Feel rattling is apparent when the vehicle is going through bumps while turning which cause body roll. Im guessing this might be a structural issues? Anyone share the same issues?
Old 11-01-2019, 06:05 AM
JD.
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by YB111444
Driving me absolutely nuts. Looked everywhere for the rear rattling. Feel rattling is apparent when the vehicle is going through bumps while turning which cause body roll. Im guessing this might be a structural issues? Anyone share the same issues?
See if you can wrap a little electrical tape on the rear driver/passenger door strikers. 2-3 wraps should be enough. Drive a route that you can make the noise and see if this rules out flex from chasis and door.

I did this this on my S4 and it worked. Please report back.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi JD, thanks for your suggestions. Im not too sure what you mean by door strikers ? Do you mean the door closing clicking mechanism? (I can't think of the name for it)
Old 11-04-2019, 07:54 PM
JD.
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by YB111444
Hi JD, thanks for your suggestions. Im not too sure what you mean by door strikers ? Do you mean the door closing clicking mechanism? (I can't think of the name for it)
I couldn't think of the exact name either. Here is a picture

Quick Reply: A5 Sportback Rear Rattle over bumps ~ 35 mph