Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

ABT ECU tuning available in the US?!

Old 08-02-2018, 03:23 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

IF the intercooler was changed to one of the Integrated Engineering models for the B9, would ABT be able to boost the performance on a custom tune for that vehicle?
Old 08-02-2018, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Odd, why would a dealer be an authorized ABT dealer and not back up what they install? If the ABT unit is $2500+ that’s a rip off. We are talking about a piggy back system tune. I understand the price to HP numbers, but cmon, it’s a tune and that’s it.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
IF the intercooler was changed to one of the Integrated Engineering models for the B9, would ABT be able to boost the performance on a custom tune for that vehicle?
great question. I’m wondering if they have done any sort of testing with higher boost and an increased IC.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Just run a jb4 which has custom tuning options and keep 2000 in your pocket... Lol.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is there a JB4 our for our cars? But this is what I’m talking about. If you go and look up the previous generation S4 tuning from APR, the price is about half. To put it into perspective, I can get a mild tune, new ECU, thermostat, air filter, new upper pulley, belt and custom dyno tuning for my Hellcat for about $2600. That yields about another 125-150HP. Look at all of the hardware included and dyno runs with custom tune. Anyways I don’t want to compare two different cars here. I’m sure I’ll bite the bullet and get the ABT anyways lol. Just wanted to gripe a bit.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have the jb4, as a beta tester, it's in the final stages of bugfic and it'll be released.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I placed an order for the ABT piggyback, for the reasons well articulated by Glisse (post #9). Regardless of the AOA x ABT partnership (or the lack thereof in the US), the fact is not only ABT has a long history with Audi, but their "S5" piggyback is in the EU for 1+ years without issues. To me, ABT is the safer bet for a good performance, not necessarily the best "ROI".... this should do it for this car, no more performance needed! If and when I want something more powerful, I wouldn't go for the RS5 just because it is very similar to the S5 (in terms of internal and external design)... I'd rather go for something else... if the rumor mill is turns to be correct, in a couple of years we will have the RS6 in the US... time will tell.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
I placed an order for the ABT piggyback, for the reasons well articulated by Glisse (post #9). Regardless of the AOA x ABT partnership (or the lack thereof in the US), the fact is not only ABT has a long history with Audi, but their "S5" piggyback is in the EU for 1+ years without issues. To me, ABT is the safer bet for a good performance, not necessarily the best "ROI".... this should do it for this car, no more performance needed! If and when I want something more powerful, I wouldn't go for the RS5 just because it is very similar to the S5 (in terms of internal and external design)... I'd rather go for something else... if the rumor mill is turns to be correct, in a couple of years we will have the RS6 in the US... time will tell.
I agree with this, but at the same time, the DUTKE or whatever tuner it is, has been out for some time and no issues, the JB4 seems solid with its beta testing too. I really have never seen any out of the box tune be “bad” for a car. I also agree that ABT has been tuning Audi’s for some time, similar how Kleeman tunes AMG models and Dinan does BMW. And again, this is why we have so many flavors to choose from. It I appreciate your point of view on this. Helps others consider it if they are on the fence.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
That boat has sailed a long time ago for a lot of us here in the forum... what would justify buying a $70K+ German depreciation machine in the first place? I don't think you realize the irony in your comment.
But the functionality is less, you objectively get LESS bang for more bucks... its insane that you would buy an inferior product for the name.

I get a customizable tune, off the shelf tunes, ability to run e85 blends, real time gauges for critical information like IAT and timing, ability to log runs, read and clear codes, all on my phone. For 550 bucks. not to mention incredible customer support and direct email access to the developer.

You paid 2500 for an off the shelf tune.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

When does the JB4 tune release to the public ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABT ECU tuning available in the US?!