Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

ABT ECU tuning available in the US?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSRT

I agree with this, but at the same time, the DUTKE or whatever tuner it is, has been out for some time and no issues, the JB4 seems solid with its beta testing too. I really have never seen any out of the box tune be “bad” for a car. I also agree that ABT has been tuning Audi’s for some time, similar how Kleeman tunes AMG models and Dinan does BMW. And again, this is why we have so many flavors to choose from. It I appreciate your point of view on this. Helps others consider it if they are on the fence.
I was eager to get my hands on a JB4...I've been carefully following their development .... and I may still do it a few months from now, since I believe the ABT piggyback also works on my other car (Q7). I also have a neuspeed on my A5... the more alternatives and competition, the better. Cheers!
Old 08-02-2018, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly my point!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this compatible with 91 octane?
Old 08-02-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Auditude437
Is this compatible with 91 octane?
Just confirmed with ABT. The power ugprades were developed on 93 octane. It'll still work with 91 octane but with power reduction...... I know it's a little pricey but I still might be interested in purchasing. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Old 08-02-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Auditude437
Just confirmed with ABT. The power ugprades were developed on 93 octane. It'll still work with 91 octane but with power reduction...... I know it's a little pricey but I still might be interested in purchasing. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
My thoughts are several:
1. It is what it is... it is generally understood that you need to up the octane to push performance of a given engine past a certain level. If that is what was required to achieve those numbers then who am I to argue. Physics etc etc.
2. I am happy to hear it works with 91. I wouldn't buy it if it didn't, but I would still like to see an official statement from ABT on their website about this, along with power numbers on 91 vs on 93 (if its 20hp or something it does not justify the cost) and clarification on whether there is a way to actively tell the unit to expect 91 by default, or if by "it works" they mean it always assumes you're using 93 but will detune if it knocks or other sensor feedback suggests otherwise. Hard pass if its the latter: 93 is not widely available everywhere and while it is possible to seek it out, for me this car is a daily driver that experiences cross country travel and I need the ability to detune easily and proactively with the push of a button/via an app should I pull up to a random station and the 93 pump is empty or I'm traveling through the mountains where its nowhere to be found.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 08-02-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Just ordered it for my S5SB. Jack Daniels Audi in NJ has a motor sport department that also reps for Abt. After several conversations with the manager, I am confident this is a good move. Any new car warranty related issues will be resolved between the dealership's management in a coordinated way. Is it expensive? Yes, but isn't every single options package for a new car? Upgraded wheels alone can run that high. To me 24% more horsepower, and elimination of launch lag are worth it. And again, I don't have to pay the 30K+ shot to upgrade to an RS5.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I live in northern N.J. as well. Can you explain what “issues resolved between the dealerships management in a coordinated way” means? Because if I go this route, I would like to go to a mod friendly dealer.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Nothing unethical, just that the Audi service side of the house will not be looking to tag the car as a warranty problem just because it has the unit installed (think about anything other than engine). Also, Frank in the sport department would fully remove the unit before I roll into the service department with any issues. Last, the JD service manager was previously Frank's service manager. Still could be a leap of faith, but an educated leap.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great to know. I appreciate that.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
I was eager to get my hands on a JB4...I've been carefully following their development .... and I may still do it a few months from now, since I believe the ABT piggyback also works on my other car (Q7). I also have a neuspeed on my A5... the more alternatives and competition, the better. Cheers!
No, the ABT Power CAN-bus modules are specifically tailored, not just to engine type, but also to the ECU module (in terms of both hardware and software) fitted to the car. It will not work with your Q7, which also does not use the Bosch MG1 electronic control unit used with the EA838 and 839 engines, as well the engines themselves having very different parameters.

The sensor interrupt systems may be a better choice if you want to move them from car to car. The hardware is generic, the engine's ECU doesn't matter as they don't integrate with it, and they will work with anything that uses FI, including a diesel tractor if you have one (maps are available for tractors from the mass market suppliers). The number of relevant sensor channels, and mix of analogue vs digital (SENT) signal transmission can vary though. However, only a few offer the option to purchase new maps. The maps are their real IP, not the hardware. How well the maps are developed, specifically in relation to the technical parameters of the engine, transmission, and drive train, is what distinguishes these products.

Quick Reply: ABT ECU tuning available in the US?!