Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

ACC and brake light

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ACC and brake light

I've always been apprehensive about using ACC in traffic because I don't know if my brake light will constantly be flashing on and off like an old lady driving in order to maintain a constant speed.

Well tonight I went for a test drive, set my cruise to 80. As it approached a car going about 70 the car slowed down gradually but the brake light didn't come on. However, if it had to slow down more then the brake light did come on. I think there is some tolerance built in that even if ACC has to apply the brake, if the pressure is light then the brake light doesn't come on. However, if it's over a certain threshold then it'll activate the brake light. I like this feature because it mimics more like real-life driving and reduces the amount of time the brake light gets activated. I'm still trying to learn the little things Audi put into their cars to make it great.

I used painter's tape and taped a piece of foil onto the LED brake light running down to the rear window so I could see the brake light reflection. Now if someone knows of another way to see if the brake light is on when driving (i.e. via the ODBII dongle) I'd like to know!

Last edited by luder888; 09-16-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luder888
I've always been apprehensive about using ACC in traffic because I don't know if my brake light will constantly be flashing on and off like an old lady driving in order to maintain a constant speed.

Well tonight I went for a test drive, set my cruise to 80. As it approached a car going about 70 the car slowed down gradually but the brake light didn't come on. However, if it had to slow down more then the brake light did come on. I think there is some tolerance built in that even if ACC has to apply the brake, if the pressure is light then the brake light doesn't come on. However, if it's over a certain threshold then it'll activate the brake light. I like this feature because it mimics more like real-life driving and reduces the amount of time the brake light gets activated. I'm still trying to learn the little things Audi put into their cars to make it great.

I used painter's tape and taped a piece of foil onto the LED brake light running down to the rear window so I could see the brake light reflection. Now if someone knows of another way to see if the brake light is on when driving (i.e. via the ODBII dongle) I'd like to know!
Thanks for the test I was wondering the same thing myself. I hated the thought of the brake lights coming on everytime the car had to slow slightly.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:12 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Fiber Optic light pipe. What Ford used in one or two of their’60’s cars to show “real-time” turn signals. Not sure about brake lights though. Or, an electronic optical coupler tied to a display.

Two solutions — one from 50 years ago and something more modern.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Our cars have regenerating braking to help keep the battery charged and help reduce the load on the alternator a little bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the car is using the regenerative braking under light braking and that is why the brake lights did not come on, and once actual braking was needed that is when the the lights turned on. I know when using traffic jam assist when the car is at a stop in traffic the brake lights are on until the car starts to move again.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Maybe one of these stuck on the rear hatch glass will allow me to see the brake light and do another test:
Amazon Amazon

Can't leave that on permanently though since it's butt ugly. Does a cheap ODBII scanner allow you to see real-time brake light status?
Old 09-17-2018, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Our cars have regenerating braking to help keep the battery charged and help reduce the load on the alternator a little bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the car is using the regenerative braking under light braking and that is why the brake lights did not come on, and once actual braking was needed that is when the the lights turned on. I know when using traffic jam assist when the car is at a stop in traffic the brake lights are on until the car starts to move again.
It does? Source?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

When ACC needs to slow down it doesn't necessarily use the brakes to do so. Depending on your Audi Drive Select mode and the distance setting and how rapid the car in front slows down, it may simply just let off the throttle and use engine braking to slow down. In Comfort mode with proper distance setting and somewhat even flowing traffic it may never apply the brakes and just let off the throttle to slow down. In Auto and especially Dynamic and if you set the distance to the shortest setting than it will naturally use the brakes more as there is less room and you asked it to operate more aggressively.

As for the regenerative braking, I believe that is now standard in all models, but not a 100% sure. However, the way it works is that during coasting and braking the alternator voltage is increased to charge the battery faster and then later the alternator can be decoupled temporarily and the car can draw the energy required back from the battery. This system has been in use by Audi for a while. It's even in my 2013 RS5. Not sure about a good source where it's being explained, but it has been mentioned in the press in the past. I don't remember where I first read about it.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
It does? Source?
2018 Audi A5 Tech Specs | Audi USA

look just under the auto start/stop feature.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Speaking of ACC, I haven't been able to fully trust Traffic jam assist yet. So far, I always instinctively press the brakes to stop the car even my car seems to be doing it on its own. Just can't mentally trust it. It's an odd feeling.

Any tips on best settings for Traffic jam assist?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
Speaking of ACC, I haven't been able to fully trust Traffic jam assist yet. So far, I always instinctively press the brakes to stop the car even my car seems to be doing it on its own. Just can't mentally trust it. It's an odd feeling.

Any tips on best settings for Traffic jam assist?
Not sure there are best settings. I keep the distance setting in any car with ACC set to the shortest most of the time. That gives the smallest gap and the least likely scenario of somebody cutting in, although it still happens. You'll have to get yourself to trust it, otherwise no setting will make a difference. It's definitely an odd feeling at first. I don't remember how long it took me, but I was a bit on the edge at first. After a while I learned how it reacted and I started to trust it. Now after 5+ years my trust issues are all gone and I instinctively know when I need to manually intervene, often before it even alerts me. It has become a symbiosis between man and machine sort of at this point.

Quick Reply: ACC and brake light