Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Active Lane Assist

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Ditto +1
Old 01-06-2019, 05:26 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Richr
It is defaulted off when you start the car, so you can leave it off. I find it useful to turn on if I think I might be distracted for a moment, but for the most part I leave it off.

I must have something set different as it’s defaulted on — which I prefer for the HUD — and it has “made” me much more aware to always use my turn signals. South Jersey is hit or miss with drivers using turn signals, but even when I’m driving our Acura (2015 — no electronics) I still use my turn signals for lane changes.

YMMV

Last edited by Nikon1; 01-07-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
That's what I assumed, but no one in Dallas uses blinkers so I could induce confusion if I overuse them.
...very very sad, upsetting and frankly not too smart... blinkers are there for a simple but yet extremely useful reason!.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Abtpl

...very very sad, upsetting and frankly not too smart... blinkers are there for a simple but yet extremely useful reason!.
I always use my blinkers when other cars are nearby, but I had a completely clear road during portions of the test drive. If you are sad and upset by a lack of blinker use, you would have an anxiety attack during the morning commute on 75 in Dallas. At this point, I would prefer drivers to not use blinkers as opposed to leaving them on for long periods either to confuse other drivers or because they are too distracted to turn them off.

Last edited by JD15; 01-07-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

I must have something set different as it’s defaulted on — which I prefer for the HUD — and it has “made” me much more aware to always use my turn signals. South Jersey is hit or miss with drivers using turn signals, but even when I’m driving our Acura (2015 — no electronics) I still use my turn signals for lane changes.

YMMV
I have not checked, but wonder if you leave the lane assist on when you leave/lock the car, it then defaults to on when you next start the car. Mine definitely defaults to off, but i never leave the lane assist on when I turn off the ignition. I'll check later today.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:21 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Richr
I have not checked, but wonder if you leave the lane assist on when you leave/lock the car, it then defaults to on when you next start the car. Mine definitely defaults to off, but i never leave the lane assist on when I turn off the ignition. I'll check later today.
I think you’re right — I never turn the lane assist off. That’s one mystery solved.

Thank you.

— John
Old 01-07-2019, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
It was an option only for the Prestige trim in 2018. Off-topic, but I test drove a 2019 with this option and found it to mostly be a nuisance, as it tried to fight me when I moved over several lanes before making a turn.
Perhaps you (and others who think signalling lane changes aren't necessary/required) should leave this annoyance switched on as a reminder to signal your lane changes. It should make for a great training aid!
Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by fwd55
Perhaps you (and others who think signalling lane changes aren't necessary/required) should leave this annoyance switched on as a reminder to signal your lane changes. It should make for a great training aid!
Likewise, you may want to improve your ability to detect humor and dial down the sanctimoniousness.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bengy1
I'm planning on buying an '18 A5. I have fallen in love with my wife's Tesla Auto pilot for freeway driving, so I want it on my next car. I know Active lane assist is not the same, but I think it will do what I want. Is it available on the Premium Plus model, or only the Prestige? Unfortunately I'm not having good luck finding knowledgeable, honest sales people.
Thanks,
Just use the build configurator on the Audi website to see which features are included in which packages / trims.

I have the driver assistance package and love it, especially traffic jam assist which I use daily.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Using OBDeleven, I turned it on in 3 Audi PPs, including mine, and we all turned it off on a normal basis. Too annoying. And to make matters worse, it lags the blinker so it can still fight you. Needs some faster processing.

Quick Reply: Active Lane Assist