Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Active lane assist likes to hug the right line

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Active lane assist likes to hug the right line

My Active Lane Assist is set to "Early" in the MMI, which theoretically supposed to keep the car center in the lane. However, mine likes to lean toward the right side of the lane. I paid $750 to get an alignment and all my cameras and ACC calibrated yesterday but that still didn't fix the issue.

What's your experience on that system? Does yours do that as well? I've heard people say it's by design because they want to keep you from hitting oncoming traffic. But why does it do that on the freeway. That's the part I don't understand.

As a bonus, after the calibration, I'm now getting the warning "Traffic sign recognition restricted. See owner's manual" at least once a day. It can recognize signs just fine, but why does this message keep showing up whereas it never did prior to the calibration?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a similar issue except it's hugging left when in traffic assist mode (under 40 mph). Dealership said everything is in alignment and audi provided no additional guidence
Old 06-08-2019, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

The active lane assist on these cars is pretty mediocre even when it works, which is not that often.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

This tech seems way too troublesome at present. Great when it works. Not so great when it's on the fritz, or you have a fender bender etc.

Just my 2c.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By any chance do you have spacers on? As illogical as it seems, I find that my car hugs the line more after spacers; and little more centred after removing them. Not a scientific test, just on my usual daily commute.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Maybe I am just trying to be more glass half full in my life, but after a recent employment change I now have a ~45 min non-highway commute vs. a 20-25min one with highways. I regularly engage DAP / AAC and it is just amazing, for 85% of the time. Sure, there are issues like when the car likes to speed up and abruptly slam on the brakes if I don't manage it through the distance setting but I've been overly impressed and it makes sitting in traffic much less stressful. I do wish it would engage *** though (the horror for some people). Lane assist keeps me well with the lines, but I have noticed a penchant for right lane hugging but then it'll bounce back to center left. Again, these cars are not autonomous and require an attentive driver to manage the system, but once you recognize it's limitations and realize how to harness the potential it makes me appreciate the extra $$ I dropped for the Prestige+DAP package. Just my 2c on how to appreciate what you have and focus on the positives - and YMMV as our friend @Nikon1 likes to often say
Old 06-09-2019, 07:14 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Maybe I am just trying to be more glass half full in my life, but after a recent employment change I now have a ~45 min non-highway commute vs. a 20-25min one with highways. I regularly engage DAP / AAC and it is just amazing, for 85% of the time. Sure, there are issues like when the car likes to speed up and abruptly slam on the brakes if I don't manage it through the distance setting but I've been overly impressed and it makes sitting in traffic much less stressful.
Have you tried setting ACC to Auto in Individual Drive Select settings? I like this mode the most.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
Have you tried setting ACC to Auto in Individual Drive Select settings? I like this mode the most.
I’ve been playing around with it, to try to figure out what works best for me. I’m still having fun driving in full “dynamic” mode. I did find that setting it to comfort allowed too much of a gap between me and other cars, which allowed for more cars to jump in between me and the car I’m following, which then causes more aggressive auto braking. In total, I’m having a lot of fun with it and let’s me “relax” a little more and honestly be less aggressive in my driving.