Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Active Lane Assist On/Off solution for non DAP cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 05:21 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Now — A simple addition to automatically disable the engine shut off on braking! Just pulse the circuit that looks for the toggle we have to manually push to disable this (annoying) feature while driving in “D” mode.

Very good looking mod btw - congratulations!
Old 09-17-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Now — A simple addition to automatically disable the engine shut off on braking! Just pulse the circuit that looks for the toggle we have to manually push to disable this (annoying) feature while driving in “D” mode.

Very good looking mod btw - congratulations!
Thanks.

That push button unit comes out very easily, so doing a parallel pulse on the ESS push button is a possibility, but I'd prefer not to solder the OEM board. My ALA mod can easily go back to factory in about 15 minutes worth of work. There are only 3 pins leaving this board, so I believe there is a chip in this modules that collects all the push button inputs and turns on the various LEDs, which then communicates to another module via the LIN bus. LIN bus only accepts commands from ECU programmed devices (i.e. you just can't swap out this PB unit with another one - the unit's ID would have to be programmed by the dealer into the ECU). This is the same reason purchasing a stalk ALA button is difficult / expensive. Therefore, there's no external command injection allowed on the LIN bus. But, I did see a CAN-BUS twisted pair that was easily accessible when the unit was out. It appears to be the drivetrain CAN bus, so I am hoping that the ESS button toggle eventually lands on that CAN BUS. If so, I am hoping to get that command. From there, it's just a few lines of code to my existing Arduino CPU, which is the least invasive option for making that happen. Not a priority for me, so it may be a while before I go down that path.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

This is such a fun project and reminds me of a project I did a while around in a world before Arduino where I used two steering wheel buttons as a poor man's paddle shift on BMWs.
I am sure you had tremendous fun.

How come you simply didn't change the Steering Stalks for one with the actual ALA button on it? That's what I did. Ofcourse in my case I was anyway changing the Stalks for putting on a Heated Steering Wheel, so did both together.

You can find those stalks on eBay for very little money sometimes. But the issue is finding one with all your options and the ALA button.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
How come you simply didn't change the Steering Stalks for one with the actual ALA button on it? That's what I did. Of course in my case I was anyway changing the Stalks for putting on a Heated Steering Wheel, so did both together.
I do remember reading about your heating steering wheel project, very impressive! When it came to the toggle button, my design criteria was to make it as OEM looking as possible, easy to install, and easy to remove when I sell the car. I didn't see any steering wheel stalks available at the time, and I wasn't exactly looking forward to removing the steering wheel. Additionally, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to run wires from that stalk, or if I would have to rely on a dealer to program the car to accept the new unit, since that's all on the LIN Bus side. I wasn't planning on the center console button from the get go, but when I ran across that used unit on ebay, it all fell together. The push button unit slides out by simply using a radio removal tool in the two small slots, making for a very easy install (and future removal).
Old 11-16-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Another trick to use for an OEM look is capture existing button presses on the CAN BUS and then doing something else. e.g. Long press of a certain button or a sequence of button presses etc.
You could assign your trigger to a steering wheel button that doesn't do anything nasty too.
That why there is no extra hardware or integration needed.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Another trick to use for an OEM look is capture existing button presses on the CAN BUS and then doing something else. e.g. Long press of a certain button or a sequence of button presses etc.
You could assign your trigger to a steering wheel button that doesn't do anything nasty too.
That why there is no extra hardware or integration needed.
That's a good thought. I haven't tapped into any of the Can-bus's yet to start sniffing any traffic for something like that. I would have to tie the Ardiono into a different bus at that point though. I am amazed at the lack of information available. I would think others out there have done something similar, but there's nothing to be found out there in www land as to any listing of CAN BUS codes and what they relate to.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I just found this thread and this is amazing. And needed - my ALA is great, but sometimes it's anything but -- jerking my car around on back roads when it really, really shouldn't be.

Sadly, I do not think I'm technically competent enough to do the programming, or savvy enough to somehow wire up a dedicated button (at least without step-by-step instructions).

Would anyone who has done this or something similar to this be willing to do it again for me for a fee? I'm certainly willing to provide compensation for the time and expertise required.

Please let me know if there's interest. And if not, maybe we can at least do a more detailed Q&A here?
Old 06-21-2019, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

This is so cool and clever. The OP should work with Kufetec or another company to market a retrofit solution
Old 05-12-2020, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Trade_it_all_4_more, Is that your code up in post #5 that worked with your set up? Would this code apply to any A5, S5, RS5 B9? I am thinking about doing this with my 2018 A5 Sportback. If I used your code, would it work?
Old 05-12-2020, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

But why? Just install the stalks with the ALA button on it. It really doesn't get any easier. The new stalks don't even need any coding.

Quick Reply: Active Lane Assist On/Off solution for non DAP cars