Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Adaptive suspension - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
For those who used the B9 adaptive suspension for while by now, when you're in comfort mode, does that reduce rattles over uneven roads? Do you actually feel that Comfort/Auto/Dynamic feel like 3 separate modes instead of binary?
I already ordered the car without but I'm thinking about adding it, and I won't be able to test drive it before.
I've got about 13K miles, most of them in "comfort mode" no rattles. But I haven't really done an A B C comparison test. My magic steering wheel button takes me to loud sporty dynamic, which is a lot of fun at times. I can tell a difference between settings. I am glad I ordered dynamic steering as well. :-)

Last edited by bbbobbb; 01-21-2019 at 05:51 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-21-2019, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

For those who used the B9 adaptive suspension for while by now, when you're in comfort mode, does that reduce rattles over uneven roads? Do you actually feel that Comfort/Auto/Dynamic feel like 3 separate modes instead of binary?
I already ordered the car without but I'm thinking about adding it, and I won't be able to test drive it before.
You will hear less sounds over bumps in comfort but it doesn't completely remove all rattle. Comfort feels soft and smooth, Dynamic feels harsher but not to the point you will hate it, still soft but bumps will sound louder, auto has some of both together.

To OP: Everytime i have people sit on my car, their first comment is about how smooth and soft the ride is. I didn't try one without it but I'm happy with what i got.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

About 13K miles here as well. Yes there is a significant difference. I have no rattles in any mode, but the ride is noticeably firmer in dynamic. Auto is based on current driving conditions and inputs from the operator.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:10 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Richr
About 13K miles here as well. Yes there is a significant difference. I have no rattles in any mode, but the ride is noticeably firmer in dynamic. Auto is based on current driving conditions and inputs from the operator.
Love the difference between comfort and dynamic. I haven't tried auto yet, does it pick between comfort and dynamic or can it apply intermediate levels?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:44 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I keep mine in Comfort about 90% of the time because I bought it for that very reason. The other 10% is in Dynamic for those times when I want to feel the road more.

Definitely glad I have the choice - and I’m also glad I ordered Dynamic Steering for that 10% Dynamic driving.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It was a must have option for me, its like 2 different cars in comfort and dynamics suspension mode. The S5 without adaptive suspension that I test drove is somewhere between the two. A lot of my passengers are amazed at how smooth the S5 ride in comfort suspension mode, when I want to have some fun, the dynamic mode turns the S5 from a smooth cruiser to pocket rocket. If I were you, I would change your order, you will not be disappointed.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MH62
Love the difference between comfort and dynamic. I haven't tried auto yet, does it pick between comfort and dynamic or can it apply intermediate levels?
My understanding is that the car senses current conditions and adjusts suspension and transmission setting as appropriate. Driving hard will result in sport transmission settings and Dynamic suspension settings while driving in a tamer fashion will result in less aggressive shift points and softer suspension settings. I do not use it much because I prefer to choose my own settings.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Richr

My understanding is that the car senses current conditions and adjusts suspension and transmission setting as appropriate. Driving hard will result in sport transmission settings and Dynamic suspension settings while driving in a tamer fashion will result in less aggressive shift points and softer suspension settings. I do not use it much because I prefer to choose my own settings.
That's my understanding too but can Auto pick from more than 2 levels? For example, based on the detected conditions, can Auto set the suspension to somewhere in between Comfort and Dynamic or does it have to pick one of these two like we do?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MH62
That's my understanding too but can Auto pick from more than 2 levels? For example, based on the detected conditions, can Auto set the suspension to somewhere in between Comfort and Dynamic or does it have to pick one of these two like we do?
I do not think so. It’s one or the other.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man

It was a must have option for me, its like 2 different cars in comfort and dynamics suspension mode. The S5 without adaptive suspension that I test drove is somewhere between the two. A lot of my passengers are amazed at how smooth the S5 ride in comfort suspension mode, when I want to have some fun, the dynamic mode turns the S5 from a smooth cruiser to pocket rocket. If I were you, I would change your order, you will not be disappointed.
I went and changed my order last night to include the adaptive suspension (and I had to take the B&O and other stuff since you have to go to the "Technik" option in Canada). Just waiting for them to confirm that they got it all entered on time.

Quick Reply: Adaptive suspension - Worth it?