Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Adding oil dipstick on B9 S5 at all common?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Adding oil dipstick on B9 S5 at all common?

I was reading through the thread on excess oil in engine and saw several references to possibility of adding a dipstick. ECS lists a fancy one and says just remove a dummy plug and drop it in. parts.audi lists a full dipstick tube assembly, but no comments on that being a replacement piece or something to be added if you want to install a dipstick. A dipstick tube would make interim oil changes with suction really easy as well.

If this was so easy, I would have thought it would be a popular add for anyone tinkering with their car, but I haven't seen anything along that line so far. Anybody have insight on this?
Old 04-16-2021, 05:38 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Buy the ECS! It’s literally as simple as removing the factory “plug” and installing the ECS dipstick. It’s not fancy — it just works.

— John
The following users liked this post:
DaveSNJ (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 376 Likes on 259 Posts

^^ what John said ^^
Old 04-16-2021, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I guess this is my win for the day. Right now, all three of my cars are missing dipsticks and I still hate it. So much info as to oil condition as well as levels, etc with stick. The Porsche flat six has no option, due to the circuitous line from engine to anywhere you can reach without disassembling panels. That is a Boxster, so you can't even see the engine without some disassembly.

Delayed gratification here: Back ordered at ECS until October but placed order anyway. Looks like I was the only one in the dark on this.

Last edited by michael sullivan; 04-16-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the ECS stick, but I don't leave it in the car. I only use it to check oil level and color. My fear is that it may fall apart (multi parts stick) and blow up my engine (I know I am paranoid.).

I now use the factory stick (part number T40178), only during oil fills and checking color since you cannot leave this stick in the tube anyway. I use this stick to also fill my Touareg TDI's oil too.

P.S. These new cars with sensor for oil level are really touchy as far as oil level overfill is concerned. So, the factory stick with graduated reading is very helpful.

Last edited by ywang98; 04-16-2021 at 07:28 AM.
dadrocker (04-20-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by michael sullivan
Delayed gratification here: Back ordered at ECS until October but placed order anyway. Looks like I was the only one in the dark on this.
There are a few different versions on ECS making it confusing. I was ordering the (back ordered) one you mentioned initially but realized there is a version that is available now: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...954ecs01-02~a/

I actually just got it yesterday and threw it in after changing my oil for this first time this past weekend. It's in the ballpark oil level of what the MMI readout is. I'm happy to have an orthogonal method to verify the MMI reading.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ywang98
I have the ECS stick, but I don't leave it in the car. I only use it to check oil level and color. My fear is that it may fall apart (multi parts stick) and blow up my engine (I know I am paranoid.).
If it did fall apart, it would never make it past the oil filter to the engine - if it was even able to get picked up out of the pan. So i think you're still safe to leave it in if you wanted, but also nothing wrong with leaving it out and using the plug - whatever floats your boat!
dadrocker (04-20-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by S5SCMSB2021
If it did fall apart, it would never make it past the oil filter to the engine - if it was even able to get picked up out of the pan. So i think you're still safe to leave it in if you wanted, but also nothing wrong with leaving it out and using the plug - whatever floats your boat!
The dipstick cannot fall apart, it is well made and indestructible. You do want to safe guard it or tell the service manager you have one installed because they tend to "get lost" at the dealerships, if you follow my hint. I would leave it at home if going in for service. Don't lose the plug either it's around $11. The dipstick is not cheap either at around $60.

Note: ECS is having customer service problems recently: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...stomer-service

The ECS dipstick is the most robust dipper I've ever seen/used.

Last edited by synergize; 04-16-2021 at 08:33 AM.
Nikon1 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 10:31 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

As @synergize said, I cannot see how this would “fall apart” as the picture below shows how it is made:

As to their Customer Service, I would think this pandemic is having an effect on most small businesses.

As ​​​@synergize said — When you take the car in for service, either pull the dipstick and re-insert the factory plug in the tube (though it’s a pita to get out again) or make sure the Service Advisor notes on the work order that the engine has a dipstick installed and check that the dipstick was replaced after they drained & refilled the crankcase. I’ll be taking mine in for its 3 year service in a couple of months and my Service Advisor knows to state on the work order that there is a dipstick installed.

— John

Last edited by Nikon1; 04-16-2021 at 11:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nikon1:
DadAudi (04-16-2021), dadrocker (04-20-2021), synergize (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Since the "wire" is pinched with the handle on one end, and a piece of metal on the other end, they can possibly separate. The joints are not "welded." But of course, this is just me being paranoid. The stick is well made, I agree.

Quick Reply: Adding oil dipstick on B9 S5 at all common?