Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Advice on drop with lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Advice on drop with lowering springs?

I am contemplating having lowering springs (H&R or Eibach) installed on my S5 with adaptive sport suspension, that would lower front and back by 0.8 inch. I am on 19" wheels with 255/35 ContiSport tires. I currently have a wheel gap of about 1.5 inch measured from the middle/highest point of the tire to the fender arch. A drop of 0.8 inch seems doable. Does anyone have any pics of a similar drop on their car? Any other feedback on change in ride quality/comfort? Thanks!

To illustrate current wheelgap...

Last edited by mobidutch; 05-08-2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added a pic to illustrate current wheel gap
Old 05-08-2019, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Pretty close to what you have. Eibach & 12/15mm spacers.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm about to install that grille this weekend...so pretty much a twin! . Thanks for posting, that looks good! Is that with the Eibach PRO that has the 0.8" drop? Any reason why you went with Eibach instead of H&R?
Old 05-08-2019, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mobidutch
I'm about to install that grille this weekend...so pretty much a twin! . Thanks for posting, that looks good! Is that with the Eibach PRO that has the 0.8" drop? Any reason why you went with Eibach instead of H&R?
Yes, the Pros but honestly because I got a deal on a new set but I had H&R on my last car and liked them too. You'll like the grille, it'll change the whole look.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by RoB9
Yes, the Pros but honestly because I got a deal on a new set but I had H&R on my last car and liked them too. You'll like the grille, it'll change the whole look.
How many miles/km did you have the H&R on your last car?

mobidutch, I think my wheel gap on standard springs got a bit smaller since I got my car, it used look almost the same as the side-to-side gap, now I think it's maybe half the size. Maybe it wasn't that big to begin with, I'm not sure. One disadvantage that keeps me from getting lower springs is that people who sell them tell me it will shorten the lifespan of the dampers, and you and I have the more expensive dampers.
The following users liked this post:
edleeid (12-08-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I have seen some comments about the effect on the shocks. That definitely seems to be an issue if you cut down the original springs, but less so with lowering springs. I had my A5 for 3 years and probably put about 20-25k miles on it. As far as I could tell the shocks were fine after 3 years, but perhaps they degraded so gradually that I did not notice. My S5 had 10k miles on it when I picked it up a few weeks ago, so I would have expected any decrease in wheel gap already to have happened. I don't know yet...I may not be able to resist the bug .
Old 05-09-2019, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by belzebutt
How many miles/km did you have the H&R on your last car?

mobidutch, I think my wheel gap on standard springs got a bit smaller since I got my car, it used look almost the same as the side-to-side gap, now I think it's maybe half the size. Maybe it wasn't that big to begin with, I'm not sure. One disadvantage that keeps me from getting lower springs is that people who sell them tell me it will shorten the lifespan of the dampers, and you and I have the more expensive dampers.
I put about 20k miles on my '06 911 over 3 years before I sold it. They lasted.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by RoB9
I put about 20k miles on my '06 911 over 3 years before I sold it. They lasted.
I wouldn't call that "lasting". That's like 1 year of my driving.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mobidutch
Yes, I have seen some comments about the effect on the shocks. That definitely seems to be an issue if you cut down the original springs, but less so with lowering springs.
Doesn't matter how you get there, lowering springs aggressively your struts, it's inevitable and doesn't take very long compared to the life of the car.

Also, nobody cuts springs lol, that **** stopped happening a long time ago (if it ever happened on Audi's)
Old 05-10-2019, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's my H&R drop with 12mm spacers. You'll like it and I don't feel like it's too much stiffer than stock.

Advice on drop with lowering springs?-1zxdr4r.jpg

Last edited by fettekatze; 05-10-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice on drop with lowering springs?