Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

All the noise and rattling related Service information available

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts
Default All the noise and rattling related Service information available

Here is what I could find for my F5A car and a lot might be relevant to every B9 car made.

Transaction No.: 2046927/3
The customer complains about rumbling or squeaking noises from the rear end.
The buffer stops of the shock absorbers are identified as the source of the noise, because they do not sit correctly in the shock absorber mounting.

Solution : Needs dealer to reseat or replace the buffer stops.

Transaction No.: 2051047/2
Noises from the middle speaker cover of the dash panel in music or phone operation.

Solution : Needs dealer to replace the speaker cover

Transaction No.: 2021141/10
If the vehicle is held with the Auto Hold Assist (green P displayed in dash insert), a brief control noise occurs from the ABS unit shortly after pulling away.

Solution : Normal operation.

Transaction No.: 2045366/5
After pulling away a rattling or jarring noise can be heard from the front of the vehicle at about 40 km/h.

Transaction No.: 2017958/24
Interference from the door, dashboard or parcel shelf like cracking, grinding, rattling, humming or similar when listening to music, phoning or playing other media.

Solution : If customer can reproduce these noises then the dealers can fix this.
The following users liked this post:
NJS5 (07-31-2019)
Old 06-23-2018, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome help Bruce!

I'll have the dealer check out the rattling noise in the passenger rear with the first transaction number for buffer stops.

Never heard of this before.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2018, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

If you've never heard of it, may be your car is ok :-)

Your welcome.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the 2018 A5 Sportback and one thing I notice during a cold star is that my car will sort of vibrate for 10-20 seconds here and there. I want to say it is because of the A/C kicking on in auto because if I turn the whole A/C off in general the vibrations stop. Anyone else notice this?

This is my first German car as I am used to Lexus and Toyota so this isn’t something “normal” to me. Just curious if anyone else notices this.

If I let the vibrations continue then it stops after maybe 15 seconds or so and doesn’t happen again. Just cold start.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine has a rattle that sounds like the door has a jar of pennies in it unrelated to any speakers or audio. It is caused by road vibrations at certain parts of the road. I have been dealing with this with the dealer for about 5 months trying different things and even a new door panel to no avail.

Have not enjoyed a single day of my 5 month old S5 because it rattles every day on my way home from work.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S4iner
Mine has a rattle that sounds like the door has a jar of pennies in it unrelated to any speakers or audio. It is caused by road vibrations at certain parts of the road. I have been dealing with this with the dealer for about 5 months trying different things and even a new door panel to no avail.

Have not enjoyed a single day of my 5 month old S5 because it rattles every day on my way home from work.
+1. Except it's been 8 months. No solution in sight for me either.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which door? I noticed that the passenger door appeared to be making a rattling noise very much like pennies in a can at certain speeds, and I could not replicate it by shaking the door or the seat (sometimes it also sounded like the seat) by chance I grabbed the selt belt and clicked it in place, and the rattle has gone. I think that the seat belt rattles against the passenger door frame and the front seat.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Here is what I could find for my F5A car and a lot might be relevant to every B9 car made.

Transaction No.: 2046927/3
The customer complains about rumbling or squeaking noises from the rear end.
The buffer stops of the shock absorbers are identified as the source of the noise, because they do not sit correctly in the shock absorber mounting.

Solution : Needs dealer to reseat or replace the buffer stops.

Transaction No.: 2051047/2
Noises from the middle speaker cover of the dash panel in music or phone operation.

Solution : Needs dealer to replace the speaker cover

Transaction No.: 2021141/10
If the vehicle is held with the Auto Hold Assist (green P displayed in dash insert), a brief control noise occurs from the ABS unit shortly after pulling away.

Transaction No.: 2045366/5
After pulling away a rattling or jarring noise can be heard from the front of the vehicle at about 40 km/h.

Transaction No.: 2017958/24
Interference from the door, dashboard or parcel shelf like cracking, grinding, rattling, humming or similar when listening to music, phoning or playing other media.

Solution : If customer can reproduce these noises then the dealers can fix this.

Regarding door crackling ( No 2017958/24)

I've had door cracking from the day I drove it home (S5 B9 Coupe) Dealer was able to reproduce it, left it with them for 3 days. They told me they took apart the door, foam lined the interior, etc. A day later the crackling was back. The odd thing is that it's only there 75% of the time. There are days where I can go out for an hour or two and not hear a thing, then it comes right back on other days. It's coming from the carbon fiber panels near the handle, top of the door near the hinges.. beginning to think the whole door might be defective. I can squeeze the door with my hand and reproduce the sound. Not sure what to try next, not sure if the dealer can do anything either.

Anyone have a similar problem?
Old 07-19-2018, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got around to taking a video of the rattle my passenger door makes. Though honestly, I just listened to it on the computer and it's not as pronounced - can really hear it if I watch on the phone though. Starts around 15 seconds and is pretty much nonstop til the end. Not a super bumpy road either.
Passenger door rattle

And here's currently how I fix the vibration on my driver's side door (which is the really annoying one because it's right in my ear :-/) I've got surround sound door rattles

Old 07-19-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had many rattles from day one last October, some are now fixed (see my other post), but currently the worst is from that same trim piece around and including the passenger door handle. My service dept (who continue to be great) has replaced the piece with a new one that unfortunately made the rattle worse. In fact It rattled before they even installed it but they tried it anyway. However they have another piece from Germany (five weeks later) which apparently doesn't rattle pre-installation and that is scheduled to be fitted next week. If you have these door and dash rattles, I recommend you tell your dealer. When Audi see enough of these they might finally do something about it.

I've had many cars and I'm a tolerant person so I feel my expectations are reasonable, but build quality of my car has been pretty poor. otherwise I think I could love the car.

Quick Reply: All the noise and rattling related Service information available