Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

All the noise and rattling related Service information available

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BarkinMadDog
I have had many rattles from day one last October, some are now fixed (see my other post), but currently the worst is from that same trim piece around and including the passenger door handle. My service dept (who continue to be great) has replaced the piece with a new one that unfortunately made the rattle worse. In fact It rattled before they even installed it but they tried it anyway. However they have another piece from Germany (five weeks later) which apparently doesn't rattle pre-installation and that is scheduled to be fitted next week. If you have these door and dash rattles, I recommend you tell your dealer. When Audi see enough of these they might finally do something about it.

I've had many cars and I'm a tolerant person so I feel my expectations are reasonable, but build quality of my car has been pretty poor. otherwise I think I could love the car.
I'm getting reminded daily by the terrible "thermal-expansion" type of creaking noise coming from the trims around the doors whenever I go over any bumps or driving on any type of rough texture. I want to take it to the dealer again (they couldn't reproduce it the first time) but I hate them trying different things and make things worse. What a dilemma.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought an Audi A5 Cab. I've been loving the car so far except the rattling noise coming from the rear driver's side drives me nut. My guess is it's either from the seatbelt house or somewhere between the door panel. Anyone has the same problem? I will take the car to service next week but in the meantime I just wanted to show you guys so anyone has a better idea where the noises are from. The link below will take you to the video I recorded this morning on the freeway (the road was rough in Michigan)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cEl0oftgiYFH5rPBMnJVGeWGwEgtY12w/view?usp=drivesdk
Old 07-24-2018, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

On my coupe, the extension that brings out the seat belt will sometimes rattle too.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankS5
Just got around to taking a video of the rattle my passenger door makes. Though honestly, I just listened to it on the computer and it's not as pronounced - can really hear it if I watch on the phone though. Starts around 15 seconds and is pretty much nonstop til the end. Not a super bumpy road either.
Passenger door rattle

And here's currently how I fix the vibration on my driver's side door (which is the really annoying one because it's right in my ear :-/) I've got surround sound door rattles

Interesting, I'm getting a similar sound, kind of a 'squeak' 'chittering' sound going over rough roads, coming directly from the driver's window. I'll try wedging in something to see if that improves, and then I'm going to get it to the dealer! What was your final resolution?
Old 07-26-2018, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

My car is currently at the dealer to fix a rattling near the rear of the sunroof, a buzzing near the front driver-side dash area, as well and the numerous pops and cracks as I'm driving around. The shop foreman said since we're in Phoenix they get a ton of noise complain due to the extreme heat.

I'm driving a loaner A5 now and that thing pops and cracks just like my S5, so i think it's a very widespread issue. Nevertheless I'm going to insist they fix all the noises even if they have to order new panels from Germany.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi-one
Interesting, I'm getting a similar sound, kind of a 'squeak' 'chittering' sound going over rough roads, coming directly from the driver's window. I'll try wedging in something to see if that improves, and then I'm going to get it to the dealer! What was your final resolution?
I went to have my car tinted the other day and the result turned out far more than I expected. I don't know what they did to my car but not only they did a tremendous job for the window tinting but also the rattling noise was GONE. I got the 18 A5 Cab. and I think I also got the rattling around the seat belt house and closer to the window. I guess the rattling noise didn't come from the seat belt house.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Were they able to fix much? I also have the rattle near the rear of the sunroof - were they able to find out what is causing it?
Old 07-30-2019, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaeden
Regarding door crackling ( No 2017958/24)

I've had door cracking from the day I drove it home (S5 B9 Coupe) Dealer was able to reproduce it, left it with them for 3 days. They told me they took apart the door, foam lined the interior, etc. A day later the crackling was back. The odd thing is that it's only there 75% of the time. There are days where I can go out for an hour or two and not hear a thing, then it comes right back on other days. It's coming from the carbon fiber panels near the handle, top of the door near the hinges.. beginning to think the whole door might be defective. I can squeeze the door with my hand and reproduce the sound. Not sure what to try next, not sure if the dealer can do anything either.

Anyone have a similar problem?
It looks like our cars are twins. Mine does the exact same thing and several trips to the dealer and the same repairs you have described ended in the same result for me.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

The front doors are Sh*t, sorry. Forget about the dealer, suck it up, and go to an audio shop and literally tell them "I want you to dynamat and felt tape every freakin surface inside the door". Cost me about 400 bucks but I finally have peace after numerous round trips to the dealer where they failed to fix it. For me, my doors would buzz when playing music in the 60-70hz range, and make this strange "spring" type noise when driving over bumps (would recreate by driving over lane markers). The upgraded B&O system is too powerful for the door materials, and that black matte plastic insert near the handle is a vibration magnet.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I’ve given in after reading thread upon thread about issues and the dealers just messing it up. I found a local service provider that deals with high end OEM car audio (Audi, MB, BMW etc.), and am seeing them tomorrow to nuke the interior.

Quick Reply: All the noise and rattling related Service information available