AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Ambient lighting question (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/ambient-lighting-question-3052983/)

Burrcold 03-08-2023 06:29 PM

Ambient lighting question

Is there any way either through the MMI or OBD11 to have two different ambient lighting profiles? I like my current set up at night when the lights go on (white "lines" with blue "surfaces"), but during the day I can't even see a hint of the lighting. I'd have to turn up the brightness all the way, but then it's too bright when the evening comes. Perhaps I'm just not setting it up properly?

A4Audi4Fun 03-08-2023 08:13 PM

On my 2017, ambient lighting only comes on when the headlights (not just DRL) are on - has that changed for new model years?

Burrcold 03-08-2023 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by A4Audi4Fun (Post 25796947)
On my 2017, ambient lighting only comes on when the headlights (not just DRL) are on - has that changed for new model years?

I'm not sure. I guess that's what I'm looking for is to be able to set the ambient lighting so you can see it during the day, but have it maintain a light hue at night (not looking for the nightclub look like Mercedes has on their interiors, just a hint of the color during any lighting situation). Perhaps it's not possible.

a2oc 03-09-2023 12:25 AM

ambient lights are supposed to be dim, so they are only visible in low light environment. If they get too bright, they could affect night vision. If its visible in the day time, that is called a traffic light.

Burrcold 03-09-2023 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by a2oc (Post 25796965)
ambient lights are supposed to be dim, so they are only visible in low light environment. If they get too bright, they could affect night vision. If its visible in the day time, that is called a traffic light.

Why would it matter if they are just bright enough to see during the day and dim at night? There's tons of cars that you can see the edges of the ambient light color during the day.

JohnEnglish 03-09-2023 06:10 AM

As far as I know, the brightness of the ambient lighting can't be automatically adjusted with the day/night cycle. It would be nice if it was synced to the headlights, but it's not.

Burrcold 03-09-2023 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish (Post 25797036)
As far as I know, the brightness of the ambient lighting can't be automatically adjusted with the day/night cycle. It would be nice if it was synced to the headlights, but it's not.

And that's exactly what was hoping for (again either through an MMI setting I was missing or coding). My Q7 you can see the ambient lights all the time, they just dim or get brighter depending on the headlight setting. That's too bad.

lensch09 03-09-2023 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish (Post 25797036)

On my MY22 RS5, the ambient lighting is turned off until the headlights come on. Haven't messed around with settings to see if I can set this up differently.

-DL​​​​​​​

jwizzle 03-09-2023 07:13 AM

this posts reminds me of sad I was when I discovered I couldn't change to colors on my 23 S5, I didn't realize they took that option away recently.

Burrcold 03-09-2023 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by jwizzle (Post 25797060)
this posts reminds me of sad I was when I discovered I couldn't change to colors on my 23 S5, I didn't realize they took that option away recently.

Are you talking about the footwell lighting?