Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Anyone coming out of a 16 or later mustang gt to s5?

Old 05-12-2019, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone coming out of a 16 or later mustang gt to s5?

Hey folks, what a great forum! Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, pls move as needed. Just wondering if any of you have come out of a mustang gt 2016 or later and into an s5, and if anyone has any thoughts on that transition? I am picking up my new s5 Monday (tomorrow), but I know I am going to miss some aspects of the mustang, the exhaust notes are great, the torque, power, and endless want to keep increasing speed by the engine is going to be hard to give up. I realize I am gaining a lot of refinement, but just looking to see what anyone else may have been through with a similar move.

take care!
Old 05-12-2019, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Haven't owned a Mustang, but I've ridden in them before and I think you already know most of what you'll be losing and gaining. The S5's build quality and interior will be better by a massive margin and it will be far more quiet and comfortable. However, the Mustang has a more fun and raucous personality that you may miss at times. The S5 put up almost identical acceleration times to the 2017 and earlier GT, aided by the increased traction of AWD, though the GT will trap a couple of mph higher. The S5 can't touch the 2018 and newer GT with increased hp, particularly the 10AT version, which puts up absurdly fast numbers.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Exactly as I thought! Hopefully, the gains will outweigh the losses! My wife drives a 2018 q5, 4 banger, and I actually love the car. Figured the s5 turbo 6 would be a great in between. I will miss the fun factor for sure, and that rumble....even stock exhaust rumble was great....which is all I had.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

What do you mean give up power and torque???

The 16 mustang GT runs the quarter in 12.9 at 110. The 18 s5 coupe runs the quarter in 12.9 at 107

You give up a tiny amount of top end power, and gain way way more traction off the line and low speed acceleration.

There's only one way to match a quarter time at a lower trap and that is a lot more traction and more torque, not less.

Slap a $500 jb4 box on the s5, and you're smoking any stock mustang GT around every time.

The only thing you're giving up is maybe the exhaust but if that's really a problem for you 1500-2500 bucks for a quality catback and you're back in business.

Last edited by ArvX147; 05-12-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey thanks for that....sorry if I came off like I preferred the mustang. I’m not one to do add ons as I don’t have the skill or time, nor do I compete. Just saying in general the mustang was a fun car and had a very fun sound and just boring stock. Anyway I do appreciate your feedback, and it makes complete sense. I may look into that box you mentioned.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nah man, mustang is a cool car, I'm not taking anything away from it, it's for something very different than the S5. Just wanted to reassure you that you wont miss too much!

The one thing is that the S5 is so much more composed than the stang, so it wont feel as fast - just make sure you are looking at that speedo because youll find yourself at super-legal speeds quickly in the S5 without realizing. The car has no qualms or drama running right up to 120mph.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Agreed! I felt that in my wife’s q5....loved it. Just needed more strength and some sporty feel. I’m sure this s5 will do it and make up for any loss and more. Appreciate your feedback! How’s your car been treating you?
Old 05-12-2019, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I really like the car, I would keep it after the lease if it wasnt for the grueling traffic I sit in daily. Thinking of splitting one car into two and doing small truck + 2 seater after. I'm just finding I dont use my car's power enough and it's a waste. If I really need something comfortable for longer trips I own a 2018 Q5 (wife's car) that is honestly nicer than the S5 for long drives.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

My wife has a q5 as well. Technic but base suspension tires and engine, what do you like about it that is better on long drives?
Old 05-12-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by demarad1
My wife has a q5 as well. Technic but base suspension tires and engine, what do you like about it that is better on long drives?
The driving position is better and the visibility is superior (nearly 360 degrees which cant be said of many cars) , it gets better gas mileage by quite a bit, we don't have all the fancy options but it doesn't matter the stereo is still pretty good. Even though it has fixed suspension I find it to be very well tuned which means it's great 99% of the time.

Lesser but also true, the EA888,3B engine paired with the 7spd DSG is just fantastic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone coming out of a 16 or later mustang gt to s5?