Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Anyone replace windshield on S5 Sportback yet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone replace windshield on S5 Sportback yet?

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has replaced a windshield yet? I have a big random "L" shaped crack with no signs of obvious rock strike or other distress. I am dreading someone pulling apart all of the seals, cameras, sensors, etc. and the high chance for this to be done incorrectly. I am going to try to get OEM glass and bring it to the dealership but wondering if anyone has experienced this and has any insight to share or things to look out for. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

As someone who has an S4 Prestige with driver assistance pkg, and a big rock strike star right in center of the windshield at eye level.........Subscribed because I too am nervous as hell about this even though I have already confirmed insurance will cover the work plus the mandatory subsequent DA recalibration at $0 out of pocket.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 647 Likes on 420 Posts

Not related to Audi, but the car I just traded in for my B9 S5 (2018 Lexus IS350) had the windshield replaced. Same deal - cameras, lane keep assist, and even heated wiper blade elements. I had insurance replace it with OEM (branded) Lexus glass. This was State Farm. They tried for an "OE" replacement but I declined and asked for OEM Lexus branded.

Anyways, Lexus did the replacement and recalibrated the assist systems and camera. It was perfect and nobody would ever know (no bad seals, no wind noise, etc.).

For what it's worth, if you can get OEM glass and Audi replaces it, I wouldn't worry at all.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a rock strike and my windshield break about a month after I got my SB. I had my dealer replace the windshield and they did a great job coordinating the glass company to install OEM glass, and then to do all the calibrations needed (I think for the rain sensor and DAP). The dealer also made my insurance company pay the bill, which was not cheap at I think over $2000. I'd have a good Audi service department do this, it was good having one person/party responsible to me for the job.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback all. As I've been figuring this out it seems the big thing is making sure your insurance is aware of and will cover all the sensor recalibration. Unfortunately the dealerships near me would not handle all of the logistics but I am aiming to have all the work done at the dealership at the same time I drop it off (I have to coordinate it all). It seems all of the calibrations costs anywhere from $500-800. I'll know for sure in a week or two after I get it done. Fingers crossed!
Old 05-07-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have had my windshield replaced. You must replace it with OEM glass, Audi requires it as they said re-calibration on anything else doesn't always work. Re-calibration cost me $800 and was covered by my insurance but I had to pay it first then send them the bill and proof of payment. They sent a reimbursement check within a few days. This was all done through Geico. However, my dealership did tell me they could have done it all in-house so it sounds like you are going down the right path. Insurance companies are well aware of newer cars having all the sensors they have in them now and that there is an additional cost to getting those re-calibrated so you shouldn't have any issues there.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Well FML, two weeks away from selling/trading my car and today I got a rock chip right next to the camera area. Safelite (who works with my insurance) said they couldn't repair it because it was too close to the camera, so I have to either replace the whole thing or just let it go. Insurance did say they cover the cost of calibration and I am going to be requesting OEM glass. Ughh......what a hassle.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
Well FML, two weeks away from selling/trading my car and today I got a rock chip right next to the camera area. Safelite (who works with my insurance) said they couldn't repair it because it was too close to the camera, so I have to either replace the whole thing or just let it go. Insurance did say they cover the cost of calibration and I am going to be requesting OEM glass. Ughh......what a hassle.
Please let me know how it goes and who you opt to do the work at here in Houston.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Well that actually turned to be much less of a hassle than I expected it to be. Safelite shop near me (Rosenberg location) replaced it with OEM Audi glass and re-calibrated everything. Took them overnight to source the glass and couple of hours to install. Final invoice was around $1600 but glass coverage on my policy took care of it.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
Well that actually turned to be much less of a hassle than I expected it to be. Safelite shop near me (Rosenberg location) replaced it with OEM Audi glass and re-calibrated everything. Took them overnight to source the glass and couple of hours to install. Final invoice was around $1600 but glass coverage on my policy took care of it.
That’s great news! Are you trading or selling this car? At least the next owner has the “real-deal” windshield glass.

— John

Quick Reply: Anyone replace windshield on S5 Sportback yet?