Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Anyone think A5 SB sport seats are too firm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah. The seats are a bit uncomfortable I must admit. Hoping they break in over time.

That said - I LOVE the car overall... the seats and the auto start/stop are my only real gripes.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

comfort is always, always going to be a very relative and subjective thing. So really, taking a bunch of people's opinions is going to merely give you just that - a bunch of opinions.

Some solutions: an interior shop could re-foam the seat for you, or, even make you a custom fitted cushion.

Try using (or not using), the extended front section of the sport seat.

Play around a bit with the back angle
Old 07-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I've tried tweaking everything, from the extension to the height and angle of seat and back, to lumbar support. I have it at a place that maximizes short-term comfort for my quick trips around town. The issue for me is longer drives. A custom cushion may be the solution.

It's correct that it's all opinions. However, it's based on a fact: sport seats are firmer than standard seats. Sort of like mattresses. Some like them firm, and others like them plush or soft. Hopefully it's helpful to those lurking to read that the sport seats are firmer, and those thinking of buying may wish to test drive them for longer periods to see if it is bothersome. I know I'd have liked to know this before I bought, though it may have not affected my decision and am happy with car overall.

Last edited by RockedUp; 07-27-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RockedUp
Oh, I've tried tweaking everything, from the extension to the height and angle of seat and back, to lumbar support. I have it at a place that maximizes short-term comfort for my quick trips around town. The issue for me is longer drives. A custom cushion may be the solution.

It's correct that it's all opinions. However, it's based on a fact: sport seats are firmer than standard seats. Sort of like mattresses. Some like them firm, and others like them plush or soft. Hopefully it's helpful to those lurking to read that the sport seats are firmer, and those thinking of buying may wish to test drive them for longer periods to see if it is bothersome. I know I'd have liked to know this before I bought.
totally agree
Old 07-27-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
totally agree
Are the sport seats the same ones found in the S5 with Nappa leather?
If so then yes they are firm although gripping. The issue I have with them is the high bottom side bolster when you get in and out of the car. It is hard not to drag your **** over it. I don't think it will hold up long to this abuse.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the sport seats with ventilation in my car. Maybe they are the same as the S5. I think the seats are pretty comfy. I am coming from a string of SUV's so maybe a different perspective. I do really like the extension under my upper legs. Really made a difference on a long drive to Yosemite recently.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 3cat
Are the sport seats the same ones found in the S5 with Nappa leather?
If so then yes they are firm although gripping. The issue I have with them is the high bottom side bolster when you get in and out of the car. It is hard not to drag your **** over it. I don't think it will hold up long to this abuse.
no, S car seats are completely different
Old 07-28-2017, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doone
I did order ventilated seats, since it does get a little warm in TX, but now am wondering how these seats will feel on a long trip between, say Dallas and Austin, which is not something I gave much thought to on a 15 min test drive.

For those who have driven with passengers in the rear seats, what do they say about comfort on a long drive?
I have the warm weather package in my S5 SB and I think those are the sport seats in question.

I drove the car on a 300 mile trip the day after I took delivery and had no problem and found them comfortable. Rear seat passengers, I can't say as I don't anticipate having anyone back there very often....
Old 07-28-2017, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vjbg8r
I have the warm weather package in my S5 SB and I think those are the sport seats in question.

I drove the car on a 300 mile trip the day after I took delivery and had no problem and found them comfortable. Rear seat passengers, I can't say as I don't anticipate having anyone back there very often....
Not correct. The A5 SB S-Line package has sport seats that are leather (not alcantara) and not perforated, unless the warm weather ventilation package is included. My car does not have that. So you are comparing two different seats. I have no idea how the S5 diamond stitched perforated seats might feel on long trips. I just know my seats are firm to the point it hurts after an hour or longer trips.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RockedUp
Not correct. The A5 SB S-Line package has sport seats that are leather (not alcantara) and not perforated, unless the warm weather ventilation package is included. My car does not have that. So you are comparing two different seats. I have no idea how the S5 diamond stitched perforated seats might feel on long trips. I just know my seats are firm to the point it hurts after an hour or longer trips.
I sit corrected.