Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Anyone w/ rear dashcam?

Old 01-14-2018, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone w/ rear dashcam?

Got my first door ding at work a couple of weeks back, prompted me to look into getting a dashcam w/ both front/rear and parking mode w/ motion detect, etc. Ended up going pretty high end w/ a Thinkware F800 Pro. However, it was more or less an impulse buy, now that I'm looking into what a clean install would entail (especially for the rear), beginning to have a bit of buyer's remorse. Some of my thoughts/perceived challenges, wondering if anyone has tackled them before.

- There really isn't a great deal of visibility there already, especially with the monster headrests. Concerned limiting that even more would be really annoying. It would seem like mounting towards the lower/rear would perhaps minimize this (it would essentially be behind the middle headrest, but that might not be optimal visibility and even more challenging to hide wiring.
- That very large piece of trim what looks like one-piece trim around the rear window would need to come off, and I'd need to hope there was a way to get into the sheetmetal and access that existing flexible/weatherproof conduit. Pulling that trim freaks me out a bit on a car this new/expensive. Anyone do this before?

I've already dropped close to $500 on the cameras, don't really want to make this a $1k project by getting a professional install... Trying to get some input before I open the boxes and make unreturnable...
Old 01-15-2018, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rocko76
Got my first door ding at work a couple of weeks back, prompted me to look into getting a dashcam w/ both front/rear and parking mode w/ motion detect, etc. Ended up going pretty high end w/ a Thinkware F800 Pro. However, it was more or less an impulse buy, now that I'm looking into what a clean install would entail (especially for the rear), beginning to have a bit of buyer's remorse. Some of my thoughts/perceived challenges, wondering if anyone has tackled them before.

- There really isn't a great deal of visibility there already, especially with the monster headrests. Concerned limiting that even more would be really annoying. It would seem like mounting towards the lower/rear would perhaps minimize this (it would essentially be behind the middle headrest, but that might not be optimal visibility and even more challenging to hide wiring.
- That very large piece of trim what looks like one-piece trim around the rear window would need to come off, and I'd need to hope there was a way to get into the sheetmetal and access that existing flexible/weatherproof conduit. Pulling that trim freaks me out a bit on a car this new/expensive. Anyone do this before?

I've already dropped close to $500 on the cameras, don't really want to make this a $1k project by getting a professional install... Trying to get some input before I open the boxes and make unreturnable...
I have an el cheapo rear dashcam, which I use to protect myself should I be rear-ended again, as I was in the S3 I owned before my current car. My camera is hardly visible out the back if you're not looking for it, and it shows the back hatch of the car when I'm driving. The Thinkware ones are much smaller than the one I have, but note they probably won't help show anything with someone hitting the side of your car.

In my S5SB, I have it at the very top, on the passenger side of the hatch. I run the wire right next to the conduit containing all of the other wires from the hatch to the body with a little plastic zip tie, then I used plastic trim removal tools to tuck the power wire into the weather stripping for the hatch, and I snaked the wire down to the bottom of the hatch, then into a USB power adapter in the conveniently-located 12V socket in the passenger side trunk cubby. It's really easy to put the wire into the weather stripping, it doesn't mess up anything permanently, and the camera doesn't affect visibility much if at all. (The main impediment to visibility is the huge friggin US headrests, but I cannot see myself paying $1000 for the European market ones). I can take a pic or two of my install if you want a better idea.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you can snap a quick pic, that would be great. I think I've got more challenges w/ the 2-chan unit, as I've got to run the cable into the cabin to get back to the front unit, though. Which actually presents an interesting question - just go with two independent ones and perhaps go the cheapie route (although I do need something that will stand up to TX summers). But yeah, I understand it's probably not going to catch a door ding directly, but that was more what inspired the thought vs. specific use case - although I'd think it'd would serve as a "reminder" the car I parked next to and the motion sensor grab it pulling out (not that a door ding is necessarily worth workplace drama).

Just really entering the world of dashcams and it's... interesting. More $$$ does not really get any better IQ or, in many cases, QC, just additional bells and whistles and perhaps better support/response if you get a bum unit. I can't say I did completely thorough research, but lots of acknowledgements that the tier 1 mfgs don't necessarily provide the best IQ and still even have out of focus units out of the box.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am buying the Thinkware F800 2 channel cams too. Would really appreciate some pics on the rear install
Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

With all the camera on this car. I just wish they would just add an recording feature to the MMI, they would be so easy and perfect.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Its most important to get cameras with capacitors and not battery to save the last file when power is cut. Not sure how the cameras will do with Texas heat, but my cameras haven't failed over 2+ years in California summers.

I think it is much more complex and not worth it to get the dual camera setups. If one camera fails, it only costs me $70-ish to replace it. The dual cameras are far more challenging to install without much benefit, and far more expensive to replace when one fails...

Originally Posted by rocko76
If you can snap a quick pic, that would be great. I think I've got more challenges w/ the 2-chan unit, as I've got to run the cable into the cabin to get back to the front unit, though. Which actually presents an interesting question - just go with two independent ones and perhaps go the cheapie route (although I do need something that will stand up to TX summers). But yeah, I understand it's probably not going to catch a door ding directly, but that was more what inspired the thought vs. specific use case - although I'd think it'd would serve as a "reminder" the car I parked next to and the motion sensor grab it pulling out (not that a door ding is necessarily worth workplace drama).

Just really entering the world of dashcams and it's... interesting. More $$$ does not really get any better IQ or, in many cases, QC, just additional bells and whistles and perhaps better support/response if you get a bum unit. I can't say I did completely thorough research, but lots of acknowledgements that the tier 1 mfgs don't necessarily provide the best IQ and still even have out of focus units out of the box.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here I would like to know too. Looking at the Thinkware F770 since you can get the front & rear dash cam setup with the wires needed to hardwire it for around 300.00. I am also looking into how much it will cost to install via a car audio shop.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

In the interim... found this - Installation of a dashcam in a sportback - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum. It's a B8 however, and no sunroof. He was able to pretty easily run the cable straight through the headliner.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by comptr
I am also looking into how much it will cost to install via a car audio shop.
I stumbled upon this --> https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dash-ca...?skuId=4265502 . Reviews seem to be quiet positive
Old 01-15-2018, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

A dash cam is a great idea.... for accident evidence and proof of no fault.

What exactly do you think you're going to do if you catch someone putting a door ding in your car? Send out an APB?

Last edited by ArvX147; 01-15-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone w/ rear dashcam?