Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Anyone w/ rear dashcam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rocko76
In the interim... found this - Installation of a dashcam in a sportback - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum. It's a B8 however, and no sunroof. He was able to pretty easily run the cable straight through the headliner.
My thinking was that this was a lot of work for very little gain in terms of being able to have the rear camera view on the same memory card. The cameras are more expensive and it's pretty involved to snake the wire all in your headliner the length of the whole car. It's also less easy to reverse later on when you sell the vehicle.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I have the new BlackVue DR750s-2CH dash camera system and I like it a lot.
I have the rear camera mounted at the top of the rear view window area.
Let me see if I can find installed pics of the front and rear.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Thinkware F800 Pro so I could have parking mode recording. I set up the front and hid the cable, but to set-up the back camera while also hiding the cable is almost impossible. I thought of having it professionally installed, but then I am looking at another $100-$200 on top of the $500 that the camera costs. The video quality is really bad - look up some youtube videos or dashcamtalk forum. For all the above reasons, and the fact that I lease my S5 Sportback, I will be returning mine. Already bought a Viofo A119S. No parking mode or rear camera, but video quality, ease of set-up and low cost makes more sense to me.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SmogTM
I bought the Thinkware F800 Pro so I could have parking mode recording. I set up the front and hid the cable, but to set-up the back camera while also hiding the cable is almost impossible. I thought of having it professionally installed, but then I am looking at another $100-$200 on top of the $500 that the camera costs. The video quality is really bad - look up some youtube videos or dashcamtalk forum.

this is bad?
Old 01-16-2018, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by prashanth1337
Yup, for a $500 camera it is. Very low bit rate. That's the bad about Thinkware and BlackVue - however they do have very good parking mode.

Especially compared to good one channel cameras:

If parking mode is important then you can overlook video quality, but for $500 I think they should have good video quality and parking mode too.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by SmogTM
I bought the Thinkware F800 Pro so I could have parking mode recording. I set up the front and hid the cable, but to set-up the back camera while also hiding the cable is almost impossible. I thought of having it professionally installed, but then I am looking at another $100-$200 on top of the $500 that the camera costs. The video quality is really bad - look up some youtube videos or dashcamtalk forum. For all the above reasons, and the fact that I lease my S5 Sportback, I will be returning mine. Already bought a Viofo A119S. No parking mode or rear camera, but video quality, ease of set-up and low cost makes more sense to me.
My BlackVue has parking mode recording, though it can be toggled on/off.
Hiding the rear cables is pretty easy, just take patience. I also did my install myself.
I originally was going to go Thinkware, but went BlackVue as it's a more reputable brand.
The DR 750s front and rear cams are both very clear. I had a DR650 for a few weeks prior to the newer model and it was also pretty good.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rocko76
If you can snap a quick pic, that would be great. I think I've got more challenges w/ the 2-chan unit, as I've got to run the cable into the cabin to get back to the front unit, though. Which actually presents an interesting question - just go with two independent ones and perhaps go the cheapie route (although I do need something that will stand up to TX summers). But yeah, I understand it's probably not going to catch a door ding directly, but that was more what inspired the thought vs. specific use case - although I'd think it'd would serve as a "reminder" the car I parked next to and the motion sensor grab it pulling out (not that a door ding is necessarily worth workplace drama).

Just really entering the world of dashcams and it's... interesting. More $$$ does not really get any better IQ or, in many cases, QC, just additional bells and whistles and perhaps better support/response if you get a bum unit. I can't say I did completely thorough research, but lots of acknowledgements that the tier 1 mfgs don't necessarily provide the best IQ and still even have out of focus units out of the box.
Sorry for the delay, here's pics of the cheap option discussed in this thread installed in the rear of my S5SB. Camera is to one side of my back but gets the whole back with the wife angle lens...

The following users liked this post:
BrainDr (10-04-2019)
Old 01-17-2018, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
My BlackVue has parking mode recording, though it can be toggled on/off.
Hiding the rear cables is pretty easy, just take patience. I also did my install myself.
I originally was going to go Thinkware, but went BlackVue as it's a more reputable brand.
The DR 750s front and rear cams are both very clear. I had a DR650 for a few weeks prior to the newer model and it was also pretty good.
Do you have any pics of the install ? How did you get the wire to the back camera ?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by comptr
Do you have any pics of the install ? How did you get the wire to the back camera ?
Yes please, if it isn't too much trouble. Did you go via the headliner, or down through the carpet?

Last edited by rocko76; 01-18-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the pics posted. Going to do something similar moving my existing cam to the back, and putting in a front A119.

Quick Reply: Anyone w/ rear dashcam?