Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Anyone w/ rear dashcam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by audi-one
Thanks for the pics posted. Going to do something similar moving my existing cam to the back, and putting in a front A119.
I have an A119S in the front too on the passenger side right next to the mirror. I ran the power under the headliner, down the A-pillar, behind the glovebox, and out right to the 12V. Pretty easy to do with a trim tool. Can post a pic or two of that if folks are interested.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
I have an A119S in the front too on the passenger side right next to the mirror. I ran the power under the headliner, down the A-pillar, behind the glovebox, and out right to the 12V. Pretty easy to do with a trim tool. Can post a pic or two of that if folks are interested.
can you post some pics of the install.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Definitely interested in your install here as well! In my previous vehicle I tapped into the unused mirror power line, which made it very easy to wire. Not quite so easy to do here.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Definitely interested in your install here as well! In my previous vehicle I tapped into the unused mirror power line, which made it very easy to wire. Not quite so easy to do here.
Pics: Dashcam on right, Uniden R3 detector on left.
A119S with USB tucked into headliner.
USB runs into top of A-piller then I tucked it into the inside of the door seal, running it down to the bottom then hidden on the back side of the glove box
And finally out to the 12v socket. It's a very clean install and easy to reverse.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One more detail -- mirror tap on the B9 has been covered a lot on AW. It isn't as easy as other cars I've had, mostly because you have to basically rip the plastic cover above the mirror off (its got really strong clips) in order to expose the wiring. I use a mirror tap for my R3 radar detector.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a thread on dash cam talk.com talking about a dash cam install on a S5 Sportback: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ortback.16640/
Old 01-20-2018, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by comptr
I found a thread on dash cam talk.com talking about a dash cam install on a S5 Sportback: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ortback.16640/
Yeah, but that's a B8 (likely minor differences), but no sunroof (big difference) so he was easily able to fish on a straight shot through the headliner.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

One more detail -- mirror tap on the B9 has been covered a lot on AW. It isn't as easy as other cars I've had, mostly because you have to basically rip the plastic cover above the mirror off (its got really strong clips) in order to expose the wiring. I use a mirror tap for my R3 radar detector.
Anything you'd like to comment on your experience on getting the mirror tap set up and the plastic cover off? It'd be so clean to do it that way, but it doesn't sound like it's for the faint of heart.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just scheduled an appointment with Best buy's geek squad to install the dash cams, front and rear installation = $100 + taxes.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Anything you'd like to comment on your experience on getting the mirror tap set up and the plastic cover off? It'd be so clean to do it that way, but it doesn't sound like it's for the faint of heart.
This has been covered a lot, and I would just add it is only for the courageous. You have to yank the cover with the force like you would if you think you would be breaking it, and it will come off. It does leave a clean install though...

Quick Reply: Anyone w/ rear dashcam?