Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Apple Carplay with non-Carplay App Audio Issue

Old 05-08-2018, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apple Carplay with non-Carplay App Audio Issue

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has seen this issue. While in Carplay mode has anyone attempted to use a non-Carplay app such as Waze on the phone with audio going through the car? The problem I'm seeing is when you have the radio playing (MMI set to Sirius or FM/AM) and the app plays audio. This results in the the car switching off the radio and no more sound playing. This makes Carplay pretty useless for me.

This is in contrast to when using bluetooth (no Carplay) where the app plays audio then resumes sound from whatever the car MMI is set to (aka Radio). I have seen it work correctly for a few minutes then go into this mode. Other times this is the behavior from the start.

Phone is an iPhone X, latest iOS 11.3.1 (happened with 11.3 as well).
Old 05-08-2018, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not to make this an Android Auto v Apple CarPlay thing, but when I'm listening to the radio and Google Maps/Waze or something else on my phone needs to intrude, the radio fades, the app plays its audio, and the radio fades back in. I also have the ability to set the volume of both Radio (labelled Entertainment on MMI) and Google Maps/Waze (labelled Voice Guidance on MMI) separately.

I think this might be a compatibility issue with Apple CarPlay, so I don't know if there's any real fix until Apple pushes an update.

Do you need the voice guidance? If you just don't want your radio to turn off you could just turn off voice guidance in the Waze app.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the suggestion doctor but to me it’s not acceptable since we should be able to have any audio from the phone not turn off what is playing in the car. I believe this is becuase of the non-CarPlay app (Waze) playing audio but am curious to know if this is what others see. The odd thing is I’ve seen it working correctly for a few minutes sometimes.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can I ask, if you're using Waze on your phone which is a non Carplay app, presumably that means it's displaying on your phone screen and not the MMI screen. You're also listening to the radio rather than a CarPlay enabled audio source like Apple Music. So what's the real purpose of using CarPlay at all here? Just so messages will pop up on the screen? If navigation & audio are both being used not via CarPlay, why does it matter at all for you?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I do use pandora and Apple Music also which are CarPlay apps. I tend to switch or use different music sources. Then there is also Siri functionally through the car mic, speakers and voice activation via CarPlay. And as you mentioned messages and WhatsApp.