Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Apple CarPlay Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The RandomOne
It must be the new Apple battery saver, or slow downer, feature that is interfering. hahahahaha
Just kidding.
You might check out a few apple forums and see if others are claiming the same issue from other auto manufacturers. Don't let Apple off that easy and wait, make them aware that they have an issue.
Yeah, stupid iPhone battery BS haha.....i'm seriously gonna switch back to Android some day down the road...those new iPhone designs look stupid to me and my work phone is an iPhone already so......

Gonna do some digging around on Apple forums to see what I can find
Old 01-07-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by emacS5
Yes, I can attest that Android Auto works fine as well. I think the auto-switching function was somehow tied to the headphone jack
Hahaha.....i'm actually using an old 6S so the headphone jack is still there, just not doing any good in this situation lol.... Just glad to learn from you fellow Android users that MMI is not to blame
Old 01-10-2018, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Just saw this thread. The bug of the MMI not handing back what's known as "video focus" after the rear camera to Android Auto is there in some other recent Audi models, and earlier versions of the B9 software such as the 2017 B9 A4. You can see folks complaining about this bug if you do a search, and I've experienced it in a 2017 Audi A4 I rented recently from Silvercar.

It's definitely fixed in the 2018 S5 Sportback for Android Auto -- but clearly not for CarPlay.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I too have experienced this glitch. It happens maybe 1/10 times after i back up. I also get an annoying glitch where the smartphone interface will revert back to "stock/default" setting and I'll have to go in and select my iphone (check the box) as the default for smartphone interface.

I have an 18 A5 coupe.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
Just saw this thread. The bug of the MMI not handing back what's known as "video focus" after the rear camera to Android Auto is there in some other recent Audi models, and earlier versions of the B9 software such as the 2017 B9 A4. You can see folks complaining about this bug if you do a search, and I've experienced it in a 2017 Audi A4 I rented recently from Silvercar.

It's definitely fixed in the 2018 S5 Sportback for Android Auto -- but clearly not for CarPlay.
but according to some members above, their iPhones used to work fine until recent updates of iOS. I really hope it's just an Apple issue.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stratman22
I too have experienced this glitch. It happens maybe 1/10 times after i back up. I also get an annoying glitch where the smartphone interface will revert back to "stock/default" setting and I'll have to go in and select my iphone (check the box) as the default for smartphone interface.

I have an 18 A5 coupe.
Sadly it's been happening to me every single time, and i am hoping the next iOS upgrade will fix it.....
Old 01-11-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Momenting
Sadly it's been happening to me every single time, and i am hoping the next iOS upgrade will fix it.....
No idea about CarPlay, but I know for Android Auto, it was solely an Audi MMI software issue with their code.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Momenting
Hi folks,

Been enjoying my A5 Sportback for a couple of weeks, but identified a pretty annoying issue about CarPlay:

Say I enter the car, start the car, plug in and connect the CarPlay, the MMI displays my phone's interface, all good. Now I start backing out, MMI switches to camera, and once I finish backing out and start driving, MMI switches back to main menu, not CarPlay! To make it worse, when I try to hit the CarPay option from the main menu, the display flicks but won't enter the CarPlay interface. I have to either re-plug my phone or re-connect in connection manager.

Anyone has similar situation? Or any thoughts? Pretty minor, but it's annoying because you want to set everything up and drive, instead of having to set it up again after you are on the road already.

Hope it makes sense. Thanks a lot folks.
Having very similar issue, but fewer mid-drive CarPlay drops.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by laakness
I’ve had my car since late April and no issues...until about 2 weeks ago this same thing started. Not sure if it was an IOS update or what.
I'm seeing the same thing here. I've had my car since 1 May and Apple CarPlay was working perfectly until I upgraded iOS in November. Now, every time I get a proximity alarm (front or back) or I'm in reverse, the MMI kicks me out of CarPlay to the main menu and I can't get back into the CarPlay system. Even external "stimuli" like a phone call thats obviously being handled by CarPlay doesn't reactivate my access. One PITA workaround is disconnecting and reconnecting the phone. I've discovered a faster workaround: Select "radio" and listen to it for 30-60 seconds. After listening to the radio for at least 30 seconds, I can use the menu to select and activate CarPlay. It seems to 'reset' something if I select a different audio source and let it stay there for a bit. I've tried to go back to CarPlay after only a few seconds of radio and it doesn't work. Interestingly enough, this also doesn't work if I select the Nav screen.

This appears to be a CarPlay issue, and not an Audi issue. Bottom Line: If you are still using iO2 10.x DO NOT UPGRADE!!!! iOS 11.x is very buggy and will screw up your CarPlay experience.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I plug my phone in within 10 seconds of turning the car on, there's a 0% chance that I'll be able to start playing a song with Spotify. And even if I wait, it's spotty at best in regards to starting Spotify. More often than not I have to unplug the phone and plug it back in for Spotify to start working.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay Question