Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Apple CarPlay Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Issue seems to be triggered by a combination of MMI and iOS versions, and also seems to be unrelated to the Audi model. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...blems-2915342/ discusses the same problem, but for A4. To my knowledge, there is no known solution yet.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Momenting
Say I enter the car, start the car, plug in and connect the CarPlay, the MMI displays my phone's interface, all good. Now I start backing out, MMI switches to camera, and once I finish backing out and start driving, MMI switches back to main menu, not CarPlay! To make it worse, when I try to hit the CarPay option from the main menu, the display flicks but won't enter the CarPlay interface. I have to either re-plug my phone or re-connect in connection manager.

Anyone has similar situation? Or any thoughts? Pretty minor, but it's annoying because you want to set everything up and drive, instead of having to set it up again after you are on the road already.
I've been pretty much experiencing the exact same problem with the addition of the following:
- If I park the car and open the drivers door while the engine and CarPlay are still running, upon reentering the vehicle I get the same CarPlay icon flick issue and it won't enter the interface!

I also agree that its very annoying! I've had any 2018 S5 since March 2017 and every version of iOS has been the same for me.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can report that the latest version of iOS (11.2.5) released 23 January 2018 DOES NOT fix the issue. Apple CarPlay still bugs out as soon as a proximity sensor is triggered or you initiate the system by doing something like back up. iOS 11 has been SUPER buggy and Apple isn't the company it once was, so I'm not surprised that they haven't fixed this yet.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm also curious what version of the MMI software people are running. I've seen Carplay differences between running on my car (v0918) and a co-worker's car (v0443). In this case, the older version (0443) seems more stable.

I am bringing my car in next week and want them to upgrade to the latest version (v1118 or newer) while it's in for other stuff. I have a list of long standing Carplay and MMI issues I hope will be enough to convince them to upgrade.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Grimmstar
I can report that the latest version of iOS (11.2.5) released 23 January 2018 DOES NOT fix the issue. Apple CarPlay still bugs out as soon as a proximity sensor is triggered or you initiate the system by doing something like back up. iOS 11 has been SUPER buggy and Apple isn't the company it once was, so I'm not surprised that they haven't fixed this yet.
Yeah Apple indeed shows signs of getting sluggish and lousy these days.....Google seems to be in a leading position on smart car ecosystem with better map, better system and they are actually making cars.....
Old 01-30-2018, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jamis
I'm also curious what version of the MMI software people are running. I've seen Carplay differences between running on my car (v0918) and a co-worker's car (v0443). In this case, the older version (0443) seems more stable.

I am bringing my car in next week and want them to upgrade to the latest version (v1118 or newer) while it's in for other stuff. I have a list of long standing Carplay and MMI issues I hope will be enough to convince them to upgrade.
Let us know how it goes! It will be interesting to learn more on people's experience upgrading MMI and navigation maps with dealers, and how much they charge.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Momenting
Let us know how it goes! It will be interesting to learn more on people's experience upgrading MMI and navigation maps with dealers, and how much they charge.
In my mind, this should be free and covered under warranty. Audi USA will get (another) nasty-gram from me if this is not the case or they refuse to upgrade it.

Carplay, MMI, and AudiConnect issues have really got me riled up lately.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had to drop ACP today as the system is currently much more reliable with MMI via Bluetooth than connected ACP.

Will check back for updates.

-VM
Old 01-31-2018, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Happens to my '18 S5 95% of the time. I'm pissed!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't think this is an Audi issue. You should all be contacting Apple. Write an email to Tim Cook, heard he sometimes responds

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay Question