AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Audi A5 B9 vs B8 driving experience – Quite dissapointing (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/audi-a5-b9-vs-b8-driving-experience-%96-quite-dissapointing-2963643/)

eperakis 12-07-2018 01:36 AM

Audi A5 B9 vs B8 driving experience – Quite dissapointing

Have been driving Audi cars for about 15 years (A3, A4, A5 Sportback-B8 version), and foremost enjoyed the driving comfort. Especially in the A5/B8 (2010-2016 models) even at speeds over 140km/h, the only sound noticeable was the turbo engine when accelerating. Absolutely wonderful! Unfortunately this is not the case anymore: Got the new Audi A5 Sportback 2.0 TFSI – B9 version (after 2017) to replace my old A5/B8 version: even at lower speeds (i.e. 40-80), you noticeably feel the engine vibrating under your feet (the central axis), at higher speeds (i.e.120-150) the radio sound is to a large extend covered by a combination of engine vibrations and wind noise (while the rear mirrow vibrates). Thought it’s a calibration issue so did all tests and there was no result. Then I drove an identical other A5/B9 with the same outcome, which means they are build this way.
The difference in driving comfort of the A5/B9 compared to the previous A5/B8 is huge (from a 9 of 10 it hardly gets a generous 6 of 10). I do not know if this difference is due to lower quality parts used or a conscious decision by Audi to make the cars more ‘rough’ (as Audi’s poor customer service never responded to my questions), but the result is just dippapointing in trems of driving comfort.

BlakeV 12-07-2018 03:18 AM

Well I wouldn't stand vibrations, but I don't like when the cockpit is too isolated either.

This is what happened to BMW recently. The G30 540i I drove last week offered not much driving excitement.

This is why I opt for the S5 SB as my next car. Against my best judgment, I step up from the A5 just because I wasn't convinced by the 2.0T engine noise, not because I want more speed. I was more afraid by the low profile tires ride,but honestly it seems well calibrated and found the comfort to be very good.

The G Man 12-07-2018 05:12 AM

As they say, you can put lipstick on a pig and it will still be a pig. 4 banger will make more noise than a 6 cyl because it has to work harder to get the same output. As far as the vibration, let the car break in for 5000 miles, it should smooth out a bit.

eperakis 12-07-2018 09:21 AM

Have done 5000 miles already and breaking in is more for teh driver than the car :-).
I am just comparing the B8 with the B9 as I practically I was driving the first till Monday and the second starting Tuesday so teh comparison is pretty straighforward.
If you ask me with which car I would make a 200 mile trip I would choose the B8 without any hesitation

superswiss 12-07-2018 11:17 AM

What kind of engine did you have in your B8 A5? A turbocharged 4 cyl is not a particularly smooth engine. I think Audi did a pretty good job isolating the cabin from the unpleasant inherent vibrations and noises of a 4 cyl, but if you are coming from a V6, then I can understand your opinion. I do find myself in A4 and A5 loaners occasionally when my RS5 is in the shop and sometimes for a couple of weeks at the time, and I find them way too isolated and boring. Driving comfort is subjective, though. I do 200-800 miles road trips in my B8.5 RS5. While sprung more like a sport car, it is an excellent GT. Part of that is the inherent smoothness of the V8 engine, but I also did very long road trips in an A4 Allroad and an A5 SB and while they were boring as hell, they were very comfortable to drive long distances, but that's to be expected in comparison to an RS5. Engines are getting smaller and with that less refined.

Tony M 12-07-2018 03:34 PM

V4? I don't think so! I don't recall Audi ever doing a V4 and I'm fairly certain this is an inline 4. The V4 concept reminds me of my days in the Fiat/Lancia car club as Lancia definitely made V4 engines. I think Ford have done the same, but they are generally a pretty rare beast.

This very basic misinformation is surprising as Superswiss seems to be one of the consistently better-informed and more authoritative members here.

FWIW, this quote from a blog by Eurosport Tuning seems to me to be typical of the general consensus opinion on this engine and it's diametrically opposed to most of the opinions in this thread.

"Turbocharged 2.0L TFSI DOHC I-4

This engine is a wonderfully balanced and fuel-efficient four-cylinder and five time Ward’s Top 10 Engines winner. It’s both practical and full of technology like an optimized variable turbo and valvelift system that allows variable control over the exhaust valves. Featuring a super efficient intercooler, low-friction internal components, twin balance shafts, six-hole fuel injectors, variable nozzle turbo, variable valve timing, state of the art electronic controls, and a variable length intake manifold. Basically, it’s a very flexible engine. Audi’s more popular model, the A4, counts on this engine to keep the wheels moving."

I have to admit I have never driven an A4 or A5 - I went straight to the S5 as the pricing in Australia was such that an A5 optioned the way I wanted it was very close indeed to the S5 price. A healthy discount on the S5 meant I essentially got a free upgrade and it seemed like a "no-brainer". I have no regrets as I love the S5.

superswiss 12-07-2018 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tony M (Post 25246011)
V4?! I don't think so.

This very basic misinformation is surprising as Superswiss seems to be one of the consistently better-informed and more authoritative members here.

FWIW, this quote from a blog by Eurosport Tuning seems to me to be typical of the general consensus opinion on this engine and it's diametrically opposed to most of the opinions in this thread.

"Turbocharged 2.0L TFSI DOHC I-4

This engine is a wonderfully balanced and fuel-efficient four-cylinder and five time Ward’s Top 10 Engines winner. It’s both practical and full of technology like an optimized variable turbo and valvelift system that allows variable control over the exhaust valves. Featuring a super efficient intercooler, low-friction internal components, twin balance shafts, six-hole fuel injectors, variable nozzle turbo, variable valve timing, state of the art electronic controls, and a variable length intake manifold. Basically, it’s a very flexible engine. Audi’s more popular model, the A4, counts on this engine to keep the wheels moving."

I have to admit I have never driven an A4 or A5 - I went straight to the S5 as the pricing in Australia was such that an A5 optioned the way I wanted it was very close indeed to the S5 price. A healthy discount on the S5 meant I essentially got a free upgrade and it seemed like a "no-brainer". I have no regrets as I love the S5.

Doh! I clearly didn't have my coffee yet. I think I had the V6 in my head too much and didn't think. You are of course correct. It's not a V4. The 4 cyl Audis don't particularly interest me, so I don't spend a lot of time reading about them. I corrected my post and removed the V4. I think the general point still somewhat stands, but I am surprised by OPs observation, though as I think as much as I'm not a fan of that engine, it does run relatively smooth, which is where my comment was coming from that Audi did a pretty good job with this engine in their A models. I did a road trip up to Portland in an Allroad with 5 people in the car and it was a nice road trip car for that kind of trip. I did drive much of the way in Dynamic to keep me somewhat entertained with the driving and I do the same whenever I get an A4 and A5 loaner. It's still way too soft for me in Dynamic, but can't really knock the comfort of it if that's what one is looking for.

Tony M 12-07-2018 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 25246015)
Doh! I clearly didn't have my coffee yet.

Yes, that will do it!

Mrs M has been known to take the phone away from me and explain to the caller: " He can't talk to you right now - he'll call you back when he's had his coffee"
:rolleyes:

emacS5 12-07-2018 07:21 PM

I've never liked the 2.0T engine, although many folks seem to like it just fine. Its always seemed a bit buzzy and unrefined to me. I'm not sure its entirely reasonable to purchase the lowest, bottom engine option in the model line and expect refinement, although from a price point perhaps it is. Hopefully you performed a test drive, so that you knew this was the experience.

eperakis 12-07-2018 10:36 PM

Well not a real expert on engines as most here seem to be. I was just comparing the driving experience of the B8 vs B9. For some reason having driven Audis for so many years I assumed the B9 would be an improvement compared to the B8, or at least a similar experience. Took it for a tets drive, but within teh city so didnt experience the open road. To be fair I am not saying with the B9 you cant drive or its horrible. I am saying that since I had the opportunity to compare the one RIGHT after the other there is a huge difference. And honestly I dont think its related to teh engine. Its either a quality issue of isolation materials used or an intentional change by Audi to make the cars more sportive. Because there is also the air noice which is again quite different.As mentioned if I had to do a roadtrip and had the B8 and B9 in front of me I would jump into teh B8 without hesitation.