Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi A5 B9 vs B8 driving experience – Quite dissapointing

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Can't say in comparison to the B8 period. But I did notice wind noise at higher speeds that I was not expecting in a car of this class. But still very liveable
Old 12-08-2018, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had some drive time behind an old b8 S5, that I4 engine is no better than the current one. The B8’s transmission is a bit smoother but the B9 is much improve in performance and electronics. As far as noise and vibration, both I4 do vibrate a bit but the B8 does feel more isolated. The B9 is more of a driver’s car, one with the road as they say. If isolation is high on one’s priority, the A6 or A7 will provide more of a luxury experience.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony M
V4? I don't think so! I don't recall Audi ever doing a V4 and I'm fairly certain this is an inline 4. The V4 concept reminds me of my days in the Fiat/Lancia car club as Lancia definitely made V4 engines. I think Ford have done the same, but they are generally a pretty rare beast.

Ford V4 was used in SAAB 95/96 and Sonett and even the 1962 Ford Mustang Concept car. 1967-1980 for the SAAB 1.5L version, 65 HP in stock form. I drove one for around 20 years in my 1972 SAAB Sonett. Added a free flow exhaust and a Weber 2 barrel, probably 75-85 HP. But the car was light, under 2000#. Under-powered for today, but as fast as the de-tuned sport compacts of the day, like my cousin's Datsun 280 ZX, lol. Tiny footprint of an engine, but ran smooth. Maybe the exhaust muted any engine noise!

Old 12-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I had some drive time behind an old b8 S5, that I4 engine is no better than the current one. The B8’s transmission is a bit smoother but the B9 is much improve in performance and electronics. As far as noise and vibration, both I4 do vibrate a bit but the B8 does feel more isolated. The B9 is more of a driver’s car, one with the road as they say. If isolation is high on one’s priority, the A6 or A7 will provide more of a luxury experience.
Well when you pay for a premium car I guess isolation is as we say in managemet a 'hygiene' factor: something you expect as a given, Maybe I assumed it as a given because the B8 is more isolated. And as Slide mentioned there is also the wind noice. Some people like it. Some dont. But in any case for a premium car I would expect Audi not to take steps back.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well we test drove a B9 A5 last week.

Compared to my wife's A6 C6 V6 the 4-banger felt more punchy and the noise was well controlled. In the B9 A4 though the same exact engine sounded rattly and lawnmower like. Not sure if tuning is same or if exhaust setup is same but the noise was definitely different. As far as the ride, the A5 SB felt taught and I think the suspension is very tight, more sporty. I read somewhere that the US gets what the rest of the world considers the 'sport' suspension as our standard suspension. It definitely felt more bmw like than Audi. The C6 A6 feels like a boat comparatively. The DSG was smooth except for one instance where it downshifted rather early and the rpm went up a lot. I don't know why it did that. All in all, I think the A5 drives more like a BMW from a few years back. The current crop of BMWs are too isolated and numb. As a reference, I am a BMW driver for the last 20 years, current ride is an 08 M5. Now that is a taught suspension. You feel everything.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm driving the A5 SB and overall love the car. That said, my only negative is the level of road and wind noise is higher than I expected. I have the sport package and ride is firm, which is fine with me. And I think the 4 cyl turbo is excellent - no complaints with performance or NVH. But quite a bit of tire and wind noise makes it into the cabin compared to my 2011 and 2013 S4's. I actually think the side window glass is less insulating, which I notice as traffic passes me. For a premium car I think this is an area that Audi could improve, but as I said, overall I love the car!
Old 12-09-2018, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by emacS5
I've never liked the 2.0T engine, although many folks seem to like it just fine. Its always seemed a bit buzzy and unrefined to me. I'm not sure its entirely reasonable to purchase the lowest, bottom engine option in the model line and expect refinement, although from a price point
Same here. C&D in a comparo gave an A5 23/25 for fun to drive....can't be that bad.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If I want isolation, I would buy a Lexus or something that is design to be less involve with the road. Personally, I love the road feel of the S5 and FYI, I have no wind noise complaints. The S5 remind of my old E90 335i except for the big improvement in technology and safety features.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

The Porsche 919 Hybrid uses a 2.0L turbocharged V4.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The fact that Audi used the 2.0T in the A5 sportback in its first model year here in the states helped me not worry about typical first model year bugaboos. This engine is tried-and-true.

Quick Reply: Audi A5 B9 vs B8 driving experience – Quite dissapointing