AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Audi needs to step up their factory performance options (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/audi-needs-step-up-their-factory-performance-options-2951981/)

-=Hot|Ice=- 06-22-2018 04:22 AM

Audi needs to step up their factory performance options

Coming from a BMW/Mercedes after 10 years, I was use to being able to personalize my car with carbon fiber and a sportier exhaust from the factory. Couldn't do that with my Audi. A Carbon front spoiler, Carbon rear diffusor, carbon steering wheel or an S Performance exhaust which I would have 100% optioned from the factory. Missed opportunity for Audi. Both BMW and Mercedes are offering extensive factory options that let customers customize their options a bit more.

BreedsAs 06-22-2018 04:50 AM

I agree. Currently, all they offer are the mirror caps and rear spoiler. A front bumper lip and sportier rear diffuser would be welcomed.

markcincinnati 06-22-2018 04:57 AM

+1 -- considering that these performance and appearance options must certainly have higher margins, I don't get it either. I'm hoping Audi will bring back a concept I had seen on one of my visits to Germany: "+". I was visiting Ingolstadt and I saw a car that looked like an A6, upon closer inspection, I saw a badge on the rear "S6+". Later, Audi introduced S-Line which was primarily an appearance option but often came with a sport suspension.

Of course, Audi has improved the S cars over the years, but somehow Audi's S cars, once thought to be to Audi as M was to BMW, always seemed to be outgunned by the M's and the AMG's. Audi responded with the RS cars, but it has taken a long time for Audi to rationalize and normalize the RS's. What is now puzzling is Audi's decision to make the RS's a separate line. Our dealerships here in Cincinnati have remodeled to change the layout of the showroom, allowing for the creation of a stand-alone Audi Sport (RS) section where only RS's and R8's are displayed.

Yet, the RS's can command at least a $20,000 premium over the similar S car, which makes them more than a little rarified. Several of us here on AW have driven the new RS5 and an S5 (or S4, in my case) back-to-back and have found the RS's to be "not enough" more than their MSRP would seem to imply. With perhaps $5,000-$7,500 worth of RS options (that would improve the S car's performance), Audi could push the S cars (as S+'s) to a higher plane. I would assume, too, that the margin on a $67,500 S4+ would be greater than on one sold for $62,500.

My suspicion is that such a car would hurt the RS's considerably more than the S cars already do.

Solution? Bump the RS5 from 444 HP to a number beginning with a 5, bump the S from 354 to perhaps 380 (for marketing purposes) so that there is a bigger gap between the S and RS line (which might also help with the sticker shock the RS's seem to cause in prospective buyers.)

We'll see, eh? In any case, I am a very satisfied S4 Prestige customer -- the RS seems great, but just not $23,000 greater than what I drive every day.

Tony M 06-22-2018 06:51 AM

Yes, I also desperately wanted a sports exhaust option for the S5. Funny thing is when I compared the AMG C43, I preferred the deeper tone of the S5 - still wanted the option of a little more volume, though. My intention was to do an aftermarket exhaust if the factory one proved too quiet for my taste. After a month and 1500Km, I'm starting to feel satisfied with how the car sounds in dynamic and I'm feeling less inclined to muck around with it.

It really is a sweet-sounding car with a characterful howl when revved out, but no drone or intrusiveness when you soft-pedal it. I'm now becoming less and less convinced I need to make any changes.

-=Hot|Ice=- 06-22-2018 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tony M (Post 25169854)
Yes, I also desperately wanted a sports exhaust option for the S5. Funny thing is when I compared the AMG C43, I preferred the deeper tone of the S5 - still wanted the option of a little more volume, though. My intention was to do an aftermarket exhaust if the factory one proved too quiet for my taste. After a month and 1500Km, I'm starting to feel satisfied with how the car sounds in dynamic and I'm feeling less inclined to muck around with it.

It really is a sweet-sounding car with a characterful howl when revved out, but no drone or intrusiveness when you soft-pedal it. I'm now becoming less and less convinced I need to make any changes.

I love the deeper rumble on the S5. I just want a little more sound and I would have gladly paid for it. Audi needs to step it up in this regard. I REALLY hope they offer something when the B9.5 comes out. I know the RS cars have a performance exhaust option. Come on, Audi! I know you're on these forums!

synergize 06-22-2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by -=Hot Ice=- (Post 25169938)
I love the deeper rumble on the S5. I just want a little more sound and I would have gladly paid for it. Audi needs to step it up in this regard. I REALLY hope they offer something when the B9.5 comes out. I know the RS cars have a performance exhaust option. Come on, Audi! I know you're on these forums!

Is the B9.5 the upcoming 2019 model or the next redesign of the current B9 a few years from now?

emacS5 06-22-2018 02:52 PM

I wonder how many here commenting have had their cars for at least 3-5,000 miles? I too thought that the exhaust was a bit weak, but recently it sounds like its really opened up a bit more. I'm happy overall now. - 2018 S5 Cabrio

I'd be curious to hear from others.

-=Hot|Ice=- 06-22-2018 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by synergize (Post 25170012)
Is the B9.5 the upcoming 2019 model or the next redesign of the current B9 a few years from now?

Yes. Audi usually refreshes the car three years into the model life cycle. Probably see it drop sometime 2020.

-=Hot|Ice=- 06-22-2018 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by emacS5 (Post 25170129)
I wonder how many here commenting have had their cars for at least 3-5,000 miles? I too thought that the exhaust was a bit weak, but recently it sounds like its really opened up a bit more. I'm happy overall now. - 2018 S5 Cabrio

I'd be curious to hear from others.

I have 3,500 miles on my car. I still think it needs a louder exhaust. Needs more burbles also. It sounds really deep and clean though.

markcincinnati 06-22-2018 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by -=Hot Ice=- (Post 25170184)
Yes. Audi usually refreshes the car three years into the model life cycle. Probably see it drop sometime 2020.

Since when is it three years? Try 5.