Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi RS5 Sportback US official

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi RS5 Sportback US official

Its official... Audi is bringing the RS 5 Sportback to US

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...el-forthcoming
Old 01-26-2018, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm more interested in the 'secret' RS car that will be coming. If indeed it's an RS4 AVANT, i'll sell my S5 SB right now!
Old 01-26-2018, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty confident it's gonna be the RS Q5 as the report mentions, considering the crossover madness in this country. But, I am sincerely hoping it's an RS6 Sedan/Avant
Old 01-26-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

RS5 Sportback. Yawn.

I have lusted for years for an RS6 Avant. But, a decade later, and with a Q7 to haul the family, and TTRS to play on the weekend, I don't see spending $120k for a high maintenance wagon.

(I am not sure I would dump the Q7 in favor of an RS6 - riding in snow/ice with ski gear and hauling camping/kiteboarding to far off locations, etc... just doesn't seem to sit well with a $120k uber sport vagon.)

However - I *would* splurge for an RS4 Avant. (A swap for my wife's current A4Avant. She would love it.)

So, while I am happy the rumor is an Avant is coming... And super excited that it might be the RS6 (that's what Audi Sales folks have told me)... I honestly might have to skip.

(Plus, I am not ready to sell the not-yet-arrived TT RS and A4 Avant.. because an RS4 would be a great replacement/compromise. But.. even better if it were a RS4 e-tron.)
Old 01-26-2018, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
I'm more interested in the 'secret' RS car that will be coming. If indeed it's an RS4 AVANT, i'll sell my S5 SB right now!
Yes! Please let it be the Avant. We don’t need no stinkin RS SUV.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've always found it hard to pull the trigger on any of these very expensive versions of relatively inexpensive cars. The power and some other driving characteristics are of course much improved, but other than that you're still mostly getting something that was built to be a $36K car (A4), not an $85K car (RS5 Sportback).

In my opinion, at those price levels, it makes more sense either to go one class higher (e.g. BMW M550i, E43 AMG, CLS53 AMG, Audi S6/S7) because those cars are all-around nicer since they are built to a higher baseline price, or go with something more special like a Porsche Cayman.

Last edited by visualguy; 01-27-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by visualguy
I've always found it hard to pull the trigger on any of these very expensive versions of relatively inexpensive cars. The power and some other driving characteristics are of course much improved, but other than that you're still mostly getting something that was built to be a $36K car (A4), not an $85K car (RS5 Sportback).

In my opinion, at those price levels, it makes more sense either to go one class higher (e.g. BMW M550i, E43 AMG, CLS53 AMG, Audi S6/S7) because those cars are all-around nicer since they are built to a higher baseline price, or go with something more special like a Porsche Cayman.
An M550 - "just" a 5 series
An C43 - even worse, "just" an C class (Ford Focus territory)

A Cayman is a neat car, and very capable. Special, would be reserved for things like the GT4 though.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
An M550 - "just" a 5 series
An C43 - even worse, "just" an C class (Ford Focus territory)

A Cayman is a neat car, and very capable. Special, would be reserved for things like the GT4 though.
I said E43, not C43. The C43 has the same problem as the Audi S4/S5 - expensive version of a car that was built to a relatively low price point, but maybe still acceptable for the price. It's much worse with the RS5 because you are paying much more for something that's based on the A4 platform, and you are pushed into the price levels of nicer cars from Audi, MB, and BMW that I listed.

The 5 series (M550i or other) is built to a fairly high baseline price point, so higher quality interior, better equipment, etc. than the Audi A4 platform.

The Cayman is more special than any of these, GT4 or not, but you really need to be interested in owning a sport car.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by visualguy
I said E43, not C43. The C43 has the same problem as the Audi S4/S5 - expensive version of a car that was built to a relatively low price point, but maybe still acceptable for the price. It's much worse with the RS5 because you are paying much more for something that's based on the A4 platform, and you are pushed into the price levels of nicer cars from Audi, MB, and BMW that I listed.

The 5 series (M550i or other) is built to a fairly high baseline price point, so higher quality interior, better equipment, etc. than the Audi A4 platform.

The Cayman is more special than any of these, GT4 or not, but you really need to be interested in owning a sport car.
An E43 is nothing but an E class underneath. Ever see what taxis are in Europe? E class MB's.

I'm still failing to see the fll extent of the argument, as the things that make a car truly special - suspension, engine, brakes, seats, are different in S models and different further in RS models, vs. their A or Q counterparts. The Tech features are constant throughout most Audi's - and throughout most brands at the end of the day.

Having spent time with a Cayman, I don't know if I'd classify it as special. Fun car for sure, but special, I'm not sold on.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
An E43 is nothing but an E class underneath. Ever see what taxis are in Europe? E class MB's.

I'm still failing to see the fll extent of the argument, as the things that make a car truly special - suspension, engine, brakes, seats, are different in S models and different further in RS models, vs. their A or Q counterparts. The Tech features are constant throughout most Audi's - and throughout most brands at the end of the day.

Having spent time with a Cayman, I don't know if I'd classify it as special. Fun car for sure, but special, I'm not sold on.
I come from Europe... E Class is used in some taxis because they have nice and comfortable interiors, and they are reliable in some engine versions... That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

I still fail to see what an RS5 Sportback gets you that's better than what you get from an M550i or an S6/S7 (or their upcoming replacement) or a CLS53 AMG. On the other hand, cars like the CLS53 AMG or M550i have much nicer interiors, stronger engines, and are better equipped than the RS5 Sportback. That's why I don't understand the niche for something like the RS5 Sportback.

Quick Reply: Audi RS5 Sportback US official