Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

the Audi S5 sportback is not perfect, but...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default the Audi S5 sportback is not perfect, but...

The concept of melding a sports coupe, an entry level luxury sedan and a cargo hauling hatchback is a brilliant one, but only if all of these capabilities are real. I did a detailed examination of the only competition - the BMW 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - yesterday, and it falls short of the S5 Sportback in these critical areas:
1. The trunk in the BMW is extremely shallow by comparison with the S5 Sportback. In fact, for my specific purposes, the trunk of my 435i coupe (well, mine for three more days) holds more. Really the BMW is not much of a cargo hauler.
2. Both interior space (.9" less front shoulder room) and quality are compromised in the BMW, to the point where it hardly qualifies as a luxury sedan.
3. The lack of a true sports suspension and the mismatched rear styling on the BMW compromise its "sports coupe" character both functionally and aesthetically.

Really the only obvious advantages of the BMW - better implementation of the 8AT, start/stop default settable to off - could likely be solved by Audi through firmware improvements. I certainly hope that Audi solves these issues. Oh, and the Audi's gas tank is just plain too small. I'm really looking forward to Wednesday.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:30 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

The Auto Stop/Start will never be removed by Audi. It is here to stay as it residences exhaust emissions on vehicles sitting at idle.

I just moved back to the US from Germany, and the Germans hate an idling car - even to the point that is is illegal to leave it running in the park place/driveway to let it warm up.

You can prevent it from stopping by shifting it into the Sport (S) mode at stop lights however.

Last edited by N8!; 11-19-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default so...

Originally Posted by N8!
The Auto Stop/Start will never be removed by Audi. It is here to stay as it residences exhaust emissions on vehicles sitting at idle.

I just moved back to the US from Germany, and the Germans hate an idling car - even to the point that is is illegal to leave it running in the park place/driveway to let it warm up.

You can prevent it from stopping by shifting it into the Sport (S) mode at stop lights however.
BMW is less German than Audi?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:10 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
BMW is less German than Audi?
Audi is part of VAG, I don’t seen them lessening their emissions reduction systems. If you just leave it on, after awhile, you don’t give it a second thought. I’m speaking from experience after living in Germany for several years with AutoStop/Start. It’s just not a thing.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tank definitely isn't small for the A5, since you can get over 500 miles out of it, but the S5 isn't that much less efficient? I don't know, the 440's tank is only a half-gallon larger.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:37 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BJabs
The tank definitely isn't small for the A5, since you can get over 500 miles out of it, but the S5 isn't that much less efficient? I don't know, the 440's tank is only a half-gallon larger.
My A5 is getting 540-550 miles per tank with normal driving.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say BMWs new B58 engine and even the old N54 are superior to the B9's V6T.
Tank is definitely too small, I've yet to get 300 miles out of it...
The Auto Start/Stop can be disabled permanently in 2 minutes.

At the end of the day the B9, as a whole, is the best car in its class.

Last edited by Stankia; 11-19-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Wait, you guys realize there's a button to turn Auto start stop off right? I dont mind it but its right there.....
Old 11-19-2017, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Wait, you guys realize there's a button to turn Auto start stop off right? I dont mind it but its right there.....
...yeah the problem is the car defaults to auto start/stop "on" every time you get back in the car. A lot of people, myself included, would like it to remain off all the time
Old 11-19-2017, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default well...

Originally Posted by Stankia
At the end of the day the B9, as a whole, is the best car in its class.
Personally I'd go with the C43 if I wanted a sedan, and stay with the 440i if I wanted a coupe. And I've never driven any of the new Alfas or Jags. Likely I'll go back to BMW when the iterations of the g20 become available as I share your opinion of their engines. But for now I'm convinced that the S5 Sportback is the better of the two luxury sedan/sports coupe/hatchbacks available - and not by a little bit either.

Quick Reply: the Audi S5 sportback is not perfect, but...