Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

the Audi S5 sportback is not perfect, but...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LOVEMYGOLFR
I want to sex up an A5 sport back- maybe with Nardo gray ($4000? sh*t)
I don't think you have an exclusive color option with A series
Old 11-20-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great point- but long gone are the days when the 3 series (and now the 4 series) were "sports" cars- these cars are "big", and like the Merc C and the Audi A4/5 are luxury cars with "sports" as a sideline- and as such i believe the Audi philosophy is perfect. Make em fast (wish they would tame that turbo lag more) but make them quiet and put a great sound system in them. As far as the wind noise on BMWs- you can see threads all over their forums about it- I dont know if that is bad fit and finish or the glass is thinner to save weight and cost? Either way- its just annoying on a car like a 435 Gran Coupe that is 65-70k. Throw in the 100 extra pounds of sound deadening and thicker windows would be my vote. Also they may do it to get their MPG up for the government(s)?
I haven't noticed excessive wind noise on my wife's 435i Gran Coupe, so it may be something specific to your car. The tire noise is certainly worse than what it should be.

In terms of the driving experience, both my wife and I prefer the BMW 3/4 series (RWD) to the Audis - we test drove the S4 extensively. The 340i/440i have a more responsive engine and transmission, better engine sound, better handling in corners, feel more nimble, and have better steering feel. My wife decided to replace her 435i at the end of her lease with a 340i, not an S4/S5. I've been thinking about the S4 for myself, but for a few thousand more I can get the 540i (RWD) which I like better (and it surprisingly weighs the same as the S4 even though it's a larger car.)
Old 11-20-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

My wife drives her SQ5 with auto start/stop ON -- frankly, neither of us notices it anymore. If it saves money or lessens pollution, I'd say "it ain't no thang." I'm not sure why anyone would object.

In my case, I NEVER drive my S4 in D, so auto start/stop really, really "ain't no thang" because it never engages, except when I put the car in Park.

It is so quick in its action -- when you focus on it -- I can't see why it's an issue.

Push the button -- or drive your "S" Audi in S like it was meant to be driven -- then you'll never know.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by visualguy
I haven't noticed excessive wind noise on my wife's 435i Gran Coupe, so it may be something specific to your car. The tire noise is certainly worse than what it should be.

In terms of the driving experience, both my wife and I prefer the BMW 3/4 series (RWD) to the Audis - we test drove the S4 extensively. The 340i/440i have a more responsive engine and transmission, better engine sound, better handling in corners, feel more nimble, and have better steering feel. My wife decided to replace her 435i at the end of her lease with a 340i, not an S4/S5. I've been thinking about the S4 for myself, but for a few thousand more I can get the 540i (RWD) which I like better (and it surprisingly weighs the same as the S4 even though it's a larger car.)
As an owner of 6 BMWs from E46 ZHP to BMW Z4M to my wifes M235 and my current 435GC I can say that they all were louder from tire/wind noise than other Lexus/Mercedes that friends have- and Audi is maybe the quietest. The engine "noise" from the BMW N54/55 and B58 is really to me nothing at all- they just arent made for great sound- out of the box at least- sure you can add an exhaust but you can do that too anything. And the interiors of the BMWs are functional but sooo average. Nothing close to the Audis. And the BMW nav (low res) is fairly terribl eand the I drive system is nowhere near the Audi Virtual cockpit. And my 435 is truly the car Buick wants to build- competent and "fast" but ducks and dives into corners- and I paid for the active suspension. You are right that there is almost no turbo lag- something Audi has not mastered. But a "drivers car" its not. The seats in the 435 though are the best seats I have ever sat in in a car. But shame on BMW for their awful and thin sounding sound systems- especially with all that wind and tire noise. You have to go to a 5 series and pay some serious cash to get a better system.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

As an owner of 6 BMWs from E46 ZHP to BMW Z4M to my wifes M235 and my current 435GC I can say that they all were louder from tire/wind noise than other Lexus/Mercedes that friends have- and Audi is maybe the quietest. The engine "noise" from the BMW N54/55 and B58 is really to me nothing at all- they just arent made for great sound- out of the box at least- sure you can add an exhaust but you can do that too anything. And the interiors of the BMWs are functional but sooo average. Nothing close to the Audis. And the BMW nav (low res) is fairly terribl eand the I drive system is nowhere near the Audi Virtual cockpit. And my 435 is truly the car Buick wants to build- competent and "fast" but ducks and dives into corners- and I paid for the active suspension. You are right that there is almost no turbo lag- something Audi has not mastered. But a "drivers car" its not. The seats in the 435 though are the best seats I have ever sat in in a car. But shame on BMW for their awful and thin sounding sound systems- especially with all that wind and tire noise. You have to go to a 5 series and pay some serious cash to get a better system.
Like I said, both cars have pros and cons, so the decision depends on what you value most.

I agree on the road noise. I don't agree on the engine noise - the B58 and N55 sound better than the soundaktor noise on the Audi. I agree about the interior material quality, but I find the BMW controls to be more ergonomic than the Audi controls. This includes the cruise control (much better on the steering wheel), iDrive vs MMI, and the shortcut keys. Our 435i handles great in the corners (no ducks and dives), but we have the passive suspension. Not sure about the adaptive one, but it's supposed to be good in sport mode. I don't agree about the sound system in the BMW if you are talking about the Harman Kardon. It's quite good and very similar in sound quality to the B&O on the Audi. Neither one is audiophile-quality, and they have similar weaknesses when compared to true audiophile-quality car systems.

From a handling and steering feel perspective, the BMW clearly wins in my experience. That doesn't mean that the BMW is like a Cayman, just that it's better than the Audi in this area.

Again, I think the Audi S4/S5 are very good cars, but they're still a mixed bag when compared to the relevant BMWs. Also, the price is higher and the discounts are lower on the Audis (at least in my area). Yes, you get more - AWD, torque vectoring diff, Nappa leather, virtual cockpit, but we don't mind not having those, and would rather pay less. I don't like approaching the 5-series price so closely...
Old 11-20-2017, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

soundaktor noise on the Audi.
What you talkin about? The exhaust sound from the S5/S4 is as real as it gets. It's no fake
Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Like I said, both cars have pros and cons, so the decision depends on what you value most.

I agree on the road noise. I don't agree on the engine noise - the B58 and N55 sound better than the soundaktor noise on the Audi. I agree about the interior material quality, but I find the BMW controls to be more ergonomic than the Audi controls. This includes the cruise control (much better on the steering wheel), iDrive vs MMI, and the shortcut keys. Our 435i handles great in the corners (no ducks and dives), but we have the passive suspension. Not sure about the adaptive one, but it's supposed to be good in sport mode. I don't agree about the sound system in the BMW if you are talking about the Harman Kardon. It's quite good and very similar in sound quality to the B&O on the Audi. Neither one is audiophile-quality, and they have similar weaknesses when compared to true audiophile-quality car systems.

From a handling and steering feel perspective, the BMW clearly wins in my experience. That doesn't mean that the BMW is like a Cayman, just that it's better than the Audi in this area.

Again, I think the Audi S4/S5 are very good cars, but they're still a mixed bag when compared to the relevant BMWs. Also, the price is higher and the discounts are lower on the Audis (at least in my area). Yes, you get more - AWD, torque vectoring diff, Nappa leather, virtual cockpit, but we don't mind not having those, and would rather pay less. I don't like approaching the 5-series price so closely...
In the end Drive what you love (or like a lot?)
And I just went out and started up my 435- maybe I have been missing something? naw... Meh
And I will say that I have a GOLF R with a Fender 400 watt sound system- and it just Fn rocks- I dont care how many speakers or watts or whatever- I had to add a sub and separate power in the 435 so I have two subs- and its just OK- give us an upgrade path option for $2500-3k you can provide a kickin and solid sound system for that. I am nowhere near the first to say this- I have been on BMW forums for 10 years +. But BMW may think we are all "sport" oriented drivers and dont need a higher end Mark Levinson type sound system option?
And I guess there are no "perfect cars" even when paying 70k for a car. That's disappointing to me. I want an Audi, Merc, BMW mash up!
And in a weird way- I dont think ANY of them are particularly drop dead beautiful in the 50-70k price range. That is disappointing too. S5 is nice but I personally think the S5 is not a great proportion and the front grills can be way better and there should be options. I guess third part but thats kind of a pain in the ***

I do hear that the new BMW I drive is better than the 2015 version I have- and thats a good thing, cuz I really dont like my I drive system - cant wait to get the Virtual cockpit- have played with it and it is awesome.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by prashanth1337
What you talkin about? The exhaust sound from the S5/S4 is as real as it gets. It's no fake
If only you were right... It does have a soundaktor:

First drives: 2018 Audi S4 sedan and S5 coupe | Autoweek

Some people disable it by pulling a fuse.

In general, I didn't like the exhaust drone in the S4 that we test drove. The 340i/440i have zero drone. I think someone posted that the drone went away on their S4 after 1,000 miles.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

And I guess there are no "perfect cars" even when paying 70k for a car. That's disappointing to me. I want an Audi, Merc, BMW mash up!
Agreed - they all have their stronger and weaker aspects, and I also would like a combination of the strong aspects of all of them. Since that's not happening, you have to decide based on what is most important to you... For us, BMW wins in driving experience and ergonomics, and those are very important to us. We would pick the Audi if we cared more about some other things, or we would go with a 5-series. My wife prefers smaller cars, so the 5-series isn't an option for her, and she likes the 340i better than the S4, so that's the car for her. I'm trying to decide between the S4 and the 540i, but leaning toward the 540i.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

If only you were right... It does have a soundaktor:

First drives: 2018 Audi S4 sedan and S5 coupe Autoweek

Some people disable it by pulling a fuse.

In general, I didn't like the exhaust drone in the S4 that we test drove. The 340i/440i have zero drone. I think someone posted that the drone went away on their S4 after 1,000 miles.
The reviewer talks smack about the diamond stitching and thinks the exhaust is too loud?... blasphemy! Instant discredit.

Quick Reply: the Audi S5 sportback is not perfect, but...