Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi Sound System what are my upgrade options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

No idea where the amp is located but I was talking to one of the top audio installer in the area (his shop has been around for over 30 years) and he said that amp upgrade is a major operation on the newer cars if you want it done right, not only that a lot of stuff are integrated as part of something else (audio/nav./climate control), the signal path are now digital. Unless you're willing to work with speaker level inputs (which is the last thing I would do for an upgrade). You'll have to get a DSP that will decode the factory signal before sending it to the replacement amp. Not to mention that you would now need to find space to mount all the new stuff

About the only thing that can be easily done is a sub-woofer upgrade. Since most amp nowadays will take line level input (although there's some signal degradation but you probably won't notice it in a sub-woofer application). It's real simple to tap into the wires going to the sub-woofer under the spare tire location and if the UK model only comes with a patch kit instead of a actual spare tire, you can just mount the amp there and use a quick dis-connect from the amp to a removable sub-woofer box.

I know it's not the cost of the extra option package. But I would find a way to live with it and get the B&O or live with the basic system with maybe just a sub upgrade or upgrading the stock speakers if you can find ones that fit.

I

Last edited by Wiz33; 06-21-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

The mids and highs on the Audi Sound System are actually very good. Its just the lows that let it down. And more specifically the subwoofer levels. So by the time you have the sub sounding good the mids and the highs sound too bright. This all could have been so easily solved with a subwoofer level, which Audi had, but now removed. I'm going to dig into the MMI internal settings a bit and check if I can re-balance the various speaker levels because I think that should sort the issue.

Otherwise the sub-woofer will be the first thing that will need fixing. The UK does get a spare, so no extra space there. But I dont think that space is an issue here, there is plenty of space in the various voids in the boot. I've done this on other cars. My question was if anyone here had done it, so I could stand on the shoulder of giants. All the previous information I have found shows information for the previous generations. I might just start with changing the sub driver and driving it using its own amp. I am not a bass junkie or don't even listen to my music loud, but I just want an even spread across the spectrum. Having done some more research, I can see that the B&O has both a sub and mid in the front doors, so that is clearly helping with the bass levels. The *** doesn't get both drivers. Just a tweeter in the dash and a mid range at the bottom of the door.
The following users liked this post:
jrvs (12-14-2023)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To me I like the sound of the B&O system and plan on having it in my RS5 Sportback. After trying it out a little at
the dealership though, I must say the only thing I would do is upgrade the subwoofer with a new one in a 10" size,
and a good clean single-channel amp.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Exactly, the weakest link in both systems appears to be the Subwoofer. I am not a great fan of multi channel 3D sound settings for music. I am a stereo guy for music. And more recently I have developed a fondness for 2.1 for music. Hence why I have separate speakers and Amps for music and movies at home. Multi channel is great for movies. But again we have gone off topic.

I will pull the subwoofer enclosure out and see what the specs of the driver in there are. I see that both the B&O and *** use the same driver enclosures, just different drivers. So I have my starting point.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Maybe relevant / helpful?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...osure-2936486/
Old 06-21-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
heymoe,
Yes, Groove1's install is exactly what I had in mind! Good catch!

bruce_miranda, I haven't heard Groove1's system, but I think an install like his with the B&O may yield you the results you are looking for
with as close to audiophile sound quality as you'll get with the right components added to an OEM system. Granted, I'm sure the $6,000 - $9,000
OEM systems in some more expensive cars may rival or surpass it, but you will have the option to tailor your bass more to your liking for music.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by heymoe
Wow spot on and exactly what I was looking at doing, having just looked at what's what in the boot this afternoon. Thanks a ton for that link.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is mostly a B&O thread but it does have some information on Sub upgrades. Take note that the sub is a DVC type (Dual Voice Coil) (which may also be the case on the base system) when you're looking for replacement. My personal opinion is that it's more of a location problem. Just moving to a 8-10" sub to the trunk/boot from the location below the spare tire may give you enough improvement using the stock amp.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...2920694/page8/

Last edited by Wiz33; 06-21-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This thread is not as good as the previous one linked because people have just put in bass boxes in the boot. But the one with the sub on the Right and the Amp on the left from @Groove1 is excellent. There are companies who make such boxes for the previous A5 Sportbacks. I've contacted a couple to see what it would take to make one for the F5A.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
This thread is not as good as the previous one linked because people have just put in bass boxes in the boot. But the one with the sub on the Right and the Amp on the left from @Groove1 is excellent. There are companies who make such boxes for the previous A5 Sportbacks. I've contacted a couple to see what it would take to make one for the F5A.
Yea, but I don't think you can get a ready made one. I've kept an eye on the place that made the B8 box but don't think they have a B9 ones yet. Also, the small amount of interior volume may restrict your speaker choices. I would appreciate a note if you manage to find a place but shipping it from Europe is going to be a pain.

Last edited by Wiz33; 06-21-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Audi Sound System what are my upgrade options?