Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi Sound System what are my upgrade options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 06:06 AM
HA / KC / EЯ

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

how does it sound using stock power!?
Old 07-08-2018, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

The *** doesn't have the ability to alter the subwoofer level. So it's likely not to make any real difference, except that the subwoofer can go down to 40Hz but the sensitivity is quite low at 83.5db. So I dont think the *** Head unit will be able to push it out much. My plan is to buy a 2/4 channel amp and drive this with an amplifier and have a spare channel to drive another subwoofer at some point in the future, when I get round to finding or making an enclosure for a 8 or 10 inch sub.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With what most people are saying, the bass in these sport backs are lacking. I was going to install a stealth sub in the side, but I am just a fan of ported subwoofers because I mainly listen to hip-hop/rap music. I got the Alpine MRV-500 installed with a 10in JL audio CP110-W0v3. I also put the bass **** in our cubby hole that is near the bottom left side of the steering wheel.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
The specs of this driver are great too. And while not as brilliant as the Scanspeak Gold one linked earlier, is better than the Silver and Discovery. BTW, the Scanspeak Classic won't fit.
Now to find a nice amp to drive both this as a future proper 8 or 10 inch true subwoofer in the boot.
Looks good, best of luck with the sub!

Eventually I want to take a look at the other drivers as well, see if there are any drop-in upgrades. The B&O really is a pretty good system, it's only with time that you come around the shortcomings (bass notwithstanding).
Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have noticed a few people just placing the amp on the module holder. That plastic part seems so weak, hasn't anyone's screw mounts on that module holder cracked with this top heavy weight now added on it?
I didn't feel entirely comfortable with that approach, so I am building a platform that sits above it, similar to a previous thread. Then plan to use the existing B&O amp holder mounting points to secure that platform in place. Another option would be the mount the amp hanging from the B&O holder. I've ordered a used part to see if it's strong enough to take the weight. But since I'm only running subs, I've bought a Pioneer Class FD, so the Amp isnt heavy and yet is 2ohm stable.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
I have noticed a few people just placing the amp on the module holder. That plastic part seems so weak, hasn't anyone's screw mounts on that module holder cracked with this top heavy weight now added on it?
I didn't feel entirely comfortable with that approach, so I am building a platform that sits above it, similar to a previous thread. Then plan to use the existing B&O amp holder mounting points to secure that platform in place. Another option would be the mount the amp hanging from the B&O holder. I've ordered a used part to see if it's strong enough to take the weight. But since I'm only running subs, I've bought a Pioneer Class FD, so the Amp isnt heavy and yet is 2ohm stable.
So I had this professionally installed. I was worried about this as well. My installer opened the plastic piece to see what was under it to make sure. He installed the amp on a wooden platform I feel like and then drilled that piece on top of the plastic. Is it really sturdy and there was no cracks.

He did have to cut/drill some pieces off the plastic of the side wall piece that comes out, because it was interfering when closing with the amp. It wouldn’t close correctly. So he cut some of it off and now it closes correctly. You can see that in my pictures with the side wall piece that is disconnected to where I show my amp.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I spent some time building a platform for my amplifier today. The original plan was to mount it on legs, so that was not touching the plastic module holder. If you are wondering what the notch on one side is for, it to slot into the chassis panel to stop it from moving around. I was then also going to secure it using a few spare mounting points that I found in that area.

Some research later, I realised that those mounting points were for the B&O amp, that I do not have. I ordered just the plastic bottom. When it turned up, I was pleasantly surprised that it mounted in 3 places and had its own foot too. So I set about modifying that. It's not very strong but seemed strong enough for the amp I bought. I just extended the plastic bracket using two aluminium strips.
Did a test fit and my amp fits well and has ventilation on all 4 sides including top and bottom.

Just now waiting on some quick release connectors to arrive and then I can start installing the first phase of my sound upgrade.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:44 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

You are "Driven, Determined and Dogged!" Nicely done - I hope it meets all your expectations!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

It's a very nice build he has put together!
Old 07-19-2018, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
It's a very nice build he has put together!
It certainly is, he is on a mission for bass and doing a superb job getting it.

Quick Reply: Audi Sound System what are my upgrade options?