Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi Traffic Light Information

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Audi Traffic Light Information

I seen this feature several months ago when I started looking for my next vehicle. A guy showed this off in his Audi (I believe it was his S5 SB). While at a light he showed the countdown until the light changed. He even made a joke about betting friends when the light would change.
I have not seen anyone mention this feature on these forums.
Has anyone used this feature. I understand you need an Audi connect subscription as well as live in a supported city. Below is more info on the feature along with the list of supported cities.
https://media.audiusa.com/en-us/releases/241

Now before the pessimist give their reasons for why this feature is pointless and blah, blah, blah. I can careless about your opinion of it's usefulness. I think this is a cool feature that I would like to use. I'm looking for anyone who has real world experience with the feature and your experience with it's accuracy and how often it actually reads the stoplights. Thanks in advance.

A youtube video of the feature in action:

Last edited by evanseric21; 11-14-2018 at 12:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cantara256 (07-16-2020)
Old 11-14-2018, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That feature looks badass but coverage looks pretty limited. Not sure I want to move back to Phoenix! Ha

interested if anyone chimes in who is actually using it.

Originally Posted by evanseric21
I seen this feature several months ago when I started looking for my next vehicle. A guy showed this off in his Audi (I believe it was his S5 SB). While at a light is showed the countdown until it changed. He even made a joke about betting friends when the light would change.
I have not seen anyone mention this feature on these forums.
Has anyone used this feature. I understand you need an Audi connect subscription as well as live in a supported city. Below is more info on the feature along with the list of supported cities.
https://media.audiusa.com/en-us/releases/241

Now before the pessimist give their reasons for why this feature is pointless and blah, blah, blah. I can careless about your opinion of it's usefulness. I think this is a cool feature that I would like to use. I'm looking for anyone who has real world experience with the feature and your experience with it's accuracy and how often it actually reads the stoplights. Thanks in advance.

A youtube video of the feature in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5q3DHcD52A
Old 11-14-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Lol yeah I definitely wouldn't move for this feature. I live in Houston though which is one of the supported cities. I think the feature is pretty badass myself as I never seen anything like it. I'm sure we've all sat at lights wondering when the hell it was going to change. This would relief some of that anxiety, especially when you're in a rush.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
Lol yeah I definitely wouldn't move for this feature. I live in Houston though which is one of the supported cities. I think the feature is pretty badass myself as I never seen anything like it. I'm sure we've all sat at lights wondering when the hell it was going to change. This would relief some of that anxiety, especially when you're in a rush.
I had no clue Dallas was supported, and I am shocked. I wonder if's 1 intersection somewhere in the ritzy part of town because I have yet to encounter this. Now I'm going to be on the hunt!
Old 11-14-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I live right near one of the supported cities (Palo Alto) and played with this as a novelty during my trial period of Audi Connect .... but there's no way it was worth what Audi tries to charge for the subscription.

In my experience, unless you're the first person at a light, it doesn't matter as the people in front of you need to go first... The Audi video is laughable, because unless it is 2am, you've probably got someone in front of you at that light who isn't paying attention to driving anyhow.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
I live right near one of the supported cities (Palo Alto) and played with this as a novelty during my trial period of Audi Connect .... but there's no way it was worth what Audi tries to charge for the subscription.

In my experience, unless you're the first person at a light, it doesn't matter as the people in front of you need to go first... The Audi video is laughable, because unless it is 2am, you've probably got someone in front of you at that light who isn't paying attention to driving anyhow.
And so it begins.....

Old 11-14-2018, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman

tbis thread is not about it it’s “worth it” but just how it works. Let’s assume it was a free feature, is it useful, widely supported across the city, that type of feedback.

I get a kick out of the technology side of it, not on judging the value of early technology. This is simply the groundwork for fully autonomous but its fun to see the different stages as this stuff rolls out.

So did it work well or do you just follow other cars around all day? BTW...not sure if you have an A, S or RS but if you never get to punch it on a green light I feel for ya!

Last edited by Tbone323; 11-14-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

If it was free, sure! but again the utility is somewhat diminished unless you're first at the light.

And it's not free.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

For those that have actually used this feature, do you have to have VC set to the speed limit screen - or is there any kind of indicator at the bottom of the VC? If so, that would be a bummer, since my VC is 99% of the time on navigation. I guess the HUD will show the traffic light signal and then I could switch over in VC.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have this feature here in Olathe Kansas (suburb of Kansas City) of all places. The city just added it this spring. It seems to work part of the time and only at certain intersections. When it does work, it’s great. It can even tell if you are in a left turn lane and that your light will change prior to the traffic going forward. Whether you have HUD or just VC, the icon replaces the speed limit icon until the traffic light changes. I wish more cities had this feature and that it worked at every light. It is nice to know that you have 45 seconds left so that you can attend to something else while waiting for the light to change.

Quick Reply: Audi Traffic Light Information