Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi Traffic Light Information

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
For those that have actually used this feature, do you have to have VC set to the speed limit screen - or is there any kind of indicator at the bottom of the VC? If so, that would be a bummer, since my VC is 99% of the time on navigation. I guess the HUD will show the traffic light signal and then I could switch over in VC.
It just displays automatically in the VC below the map.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
If it was free, sure! but again the utility is somewhat diminished unless you're first at the light.

And it's not free.
I'm trying to understand your point of needing to be first at the light but I fail to see it. Regardless if i'm first or not, knowing when the traffic will start moving is still beneficial.

Last edited by evanseric21; 11-14-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zell
We have this feature here in Olathe Kansas (suburb of Kansas City) of all places. The city just added it this spring. It seems to work part of the time and only at certain intersections. When it does work, it’s great. It can even tell if you are in a left turn lane and that your light will change prior to the traffic going forward. Whether you have HUD or just VC, the icon replaces the speed limit icon until the traffic light changes. I wish more cities had this feature and that it worked at every light. It is nice to know that you have 45 seconds left so that you can attend to something else while waiting for the light to change.
Yeah I figured it would not be a "city" wide thing and only certain high traffic areas would have this feature. That kind of sucks though. I wonder if the feature is more wide spread in Houston being a larger city. I know Houston is a test hub from many technology companies when they release new things. Verizon just released 5G Home here but its in a very small area. Thanks for the info! Super cool it knows what lane you're in.

Originally Posted by RedKloud
It just displays automatically in the VC below the map.
Nice to know it shows automatically. I wouldn't want to change from the large map view in the VC.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
I'm trying to understand your point of needing to be first at the light but I fail to see it. Regardless if i'm first or not, knowing when the traffic will start moving is still beneficial.
What's the exact benefit?
Old 11-14-2018, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

The suburb of Houston I am in (Sugar Land) has enabled this at many of the traffic lights so I do see it fairly often. When it works, it works perfectly, but there are days when a previously working light doesn't trigger it. Also sometimes the timer is overriden by the traffic sensor so it may turn green when there are 20 seconds left on the timer, but it does catch up many times by jumping from 20s to 3 or 2 seconds. I am actually impressed at some of the programming behind it - there is an enabled traffic light near my house with a freeway on ramp before you get to the light. Everyday when I am approaching the light, it will trigger the indication but when I get on to the left lane for the on-ramp (way before I am at light) it knows I will be getting on the freeway and turn off the display after a few seconds.
p.s. I don't think I have seen it ever work in Houston proper.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ation-2936006/

Last edited by MRA5SB; 11-14-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I've used. It's sometimes off with lights that have left turn arrows since they turn at a different time than the straight lanes and occasionally lights would turn green before the countdown time, but overall it works well.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:42 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
I've used. It's sometimes off with lights that have left turn arrows since they turn at a different time than the straight lanes and occasionally lights would turn green before the countdown time, but overall it works well.

Anywhere in NJ?
Old 11-15-2018, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Anywhere in NJ?
Looks like closest is DC, surprised the Eastern seaboard isn't enabled. from Boston to say Richmond, VA.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slides
What's the exact benefit?
Well there are many ways to answer this. First and foremost features like this are paving the way for truly autonomous driving. So building out this infrastructure benefits the progression of that technology.
Secondly, the point of this feature is convenience and awareness. I'm sure we all have been in a rush sitting at a light for what seems like forever waiting for it to turn green. Knowing when the light will turn green cuts down on that anxiety. A less anxious driver is a safer driver.
Also it's just a badass feature. Who knew that one day our cars would talk to the stoplights and give you a count down. Now again I'm not here to debate with you whether "you" think the feature is worth it. I wanted to hear from people who have actually used the feature consistently and get their feedback on how it works and how accurate it is. If you don't care for the feature then good for you. Go create a thread talking about how you see no benefit and leave this thread to those of use you like the feature.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tundraman
Looks like closest is DC, surprised the Eastern seaboard isn't enabled. from Boston to say Richmond, VA.
Looks like their still building this out. I'm sure more cities will be added in the near future.

Quick Reply: Audi Traffic Light Information