Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Auto Hold Button Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 04:33 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebastian3
I do the same thing! But I don't tap the gas to drive off — I just pull the ACC stalk!
X2. I really like this feature, but if I’m not using the cruise, and I’m sitting at a long light, I just set the e-brake and tap the gas when the light changes or the car ahead moves off.

— John
The following 2 users liked this post by Nikon1:
Richr (07-12-2019), snafu_ (05-15-2022)
Old 07-12-2019, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I just set the e-brake and tap the gas when the light changes
I don't set the e-brake because it has to use motors to tighten the brake pads and release them again. I sometime switch on the hill hold / auto hold, especially on hills (!) because it holds it hydraulically instead. But then have to switch it off again because as soon as you're in traffic that is rapidly starting and stopping it gets annoying to not have the 'creep' forward when you release the brake.

I don't suppose it matters very much either way.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Here you go:
The following 4 users liked this post by heymoe:
channey13 (07-12-2019), Nikon1 (07-12-2019), paradyne (07-12-2019), SolventSolution (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

That's SOOO much easier than the B8's!
Old 07-12-2019, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this auto-hold feature purely to avoid the driver having to sit with their foot on the brake pedal when stationary ? Presumably this is desirable when the car is on a hill ? If my assumption is correct, this makes more sense in a manual gearbox car than an automatic ...
Old 07-12-2019, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by James P.
Is this auto-hold feature purely to avoid the driver having to sit with their foot on the brake pedal when stationary ? Presumably this is desirable when the car is on a hill ? If my assumption is correct, this makes more sense in a manual gearbox car than an automatic ...
Yes, that's what it does, and not just for hills. It makes some sense for both - but on a manual you're in neutral so not going anywhere if not on a hill and in an auto you're creeping forward in all situations.

It's one of those things you don't really miss until you've had an opportunity to use regularly and it's probably the feature I miss most in the S5 from other cars I've owned - Mercedes in my case (I believe they were the first to implement the feature and they've had it for several years, now). Yes you can somewhat duplicate the functionality with ACC but I think most who've tried auto hold would agree that the user experience is better with engagement by brake pedal.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WasSD18S5CAB

It's one of those things you don't really miss until you've had an opportunity to use regularly and it's probably the feature I miss most in the S5 from other cars I've owned - Mercedes in my case

I had it in my S550 and loved it. Took me a month to get used to not having in in my S5.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by paradyne
That's SOOO much easier than the B8's!
No kidding, I remember installing a euro cupholder in my MkV GTI and I had to take apart half of the interior to get to that part
Old 07-12-2019, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by James P.

Yes. I had it in a 2018 Golf R. Tried it but didn't like it. Never had a problem with it but I didn't instinctively trust it. Probably from 5 decades of driving without it : )
Old 07-12-2019, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Thanks, heymoe

Originally Posted by heymoe
YES, This is exactly what I was hoping for, a video that shows it. I've already gotten the first piece off.

And for those of you wondering, "Is auto hold worth it?" I suggest going down to your local KIA dealer and test driving the GT2 Stinger. That vehicle comes with auto hold and is a good example of what it can do for you. I never would have thought twice about auto hold but when I test drove a Stinger on a whim I decided I liked it. After I get it installed on my 2018 S5 Cab and use it for a while I may do our S5 SB and Q7 as well.

Quick Reply: Auto Hold Button Installation